DIY: Bottlecap Magnet Fail?

December 8, 2010

bottle cap magnets DIY

May I tap into your wisdom and extensive craft experience? Please? Here’s what’s happening:

For Betty’s Christmas Sibling Gifts, I thought bottle cap magnets would be just right. She would have a great time making them (she did!) and her brothers and sisters would be able to use them in their middle school lockers and on the family bulletin board, which is actually a magnet board, and on the fridge too.

bottle cap magnets DIY

The project has been going along swimmingly. But now I’m stuck. (Sigh. I’m an embarrassment to the True Value Blog Squad). Take a look.

1) We started by gathering supplies. Empty bottle caps (we drink a lot of Izze soda pop), magnets, and clear gloss “quick drying” polyurethane. We also gathered pieces of pretty paper and little shiny things and itsy bitsy letters we could add to the bottlecaps.

bottle cap magnets DIY bottle cap magnets DIY

2) Betty used a 1-inch hole punch to cut out a circle of paper. She placed it in the bottle cap and then topped it with all the shiny/interesting things her 4-year-old heart desired.

bottle cap magnets DIY bottle cap magnets DIY bottle cap magnets DIY

3) Next, we decanted some polyurethane into a paper cup. (Tip: squeeze one bit of the cup together to make a spout.) Betty filled the bottlecaps with polyurethane. Then she used the handle tip of a plastic paint brush to move things around if they shifted during the pouring.

bottle cap magnets DIY bottle cap magnets DIY bottle cap magnets DIY

4) And that’s about it. We are waiting till they dry and then we’ll hotglue magnets to the back. Easy peasy. Betty made a total of 18 and they look great. She even made one for Mommy and Daddy. : ) Here are some that have just been filled and are waiting to dry:

bottlecap magnet DIY bottle cap magnets DIY

Here’s where the fail comes in. It has been 5 days and they’re still not dry. Not even pretending to be close to dry. Not only that, they’re also bubbling and yellowing and doing strange things. Ugh! They’re pretty much ruined. Clearly, I should have filled them with something other than polyurethane, but I’m not sure what.

We have plenty supplies left and we can definitely start from scratch, but I need suggestions of what I should use instead of polyurethane. (If you’re not sure either, no stress, I’ll ask the True Value guys this weekend, but if you do know of something that would work, I’d love to hear it!)

If it helps, the inspiration for this project came from seeing one of those countertops that has been filled with things like charms and bottle caps and bits of ephemera. The little pieces are then covered with some sort of liquid that dries hard and clear (a liquid which is apparently not polyurethane).

Need more sibling gift ideas? We made several fun projects this year: Monogram MugsBleached Out TeesCustom Leather Patches and Photo Snowglobes. You can also find a list of projects from past Christmases here.

1 Stoich91 December 8, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Resin? or is that the same as polyurethane? Or maybe Epoxy? I have no idea…they’re totally cute, though!

2 Ren December 8, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Love the way yours turned out- we did a similar project this summer- here is the link if you are interested in taking a look!

Ren

3 Elana December 8, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I can’t answer your question directly, but I have a few necklaces from SpoonFed Art that seem to accomplish the technique you’re after…their web site can be found here:

Maybe, since you’re doing it for personal use, the artist give up some trade secrets! Good Luck.

4 LESLIE BROWN August 7, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I use… DECO ART TRIPLE THICK … comes in 2oz & 4oz at Michaels & Hobby Lobby & some Wal Mart’s. No mixing.. but pricey-6-8.00
Less stinky and you can paint it on or pour inside bottle caps.

5 Lindsay December 8, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Definitely resin- that’s what people use for those nifty filled tabletops and stuff. There’s also “aqua-resin” which apparently is the safe version (regular resin is super toxic to work with).

6 Tracy December 8, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Too bad about the poly fail! Those are adorable!!
The stuff you want is epoxy resin, used to fake water in mini scenes… it comes in a two-part formula, and some can be dyed different colors.
http://miniatures.about.com/od/miniaturebasics/p/epoxres.htm has a list of brands… I think the one I used was Castin Craft. You MUST have great ventilation for this… it’s really stinky, for a couple of days!!

7 Alicia December 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Those look great! I made some of these a few years ago when I worked in a scrapbook store and I used a product called Glossy Accents by Ranger. If you have an Archiver’s near you they carry it. Thanks for posting all these siblings gift. They are such great ideas!

8 sarah December 8, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I’ve also heard you can use something called diamond glue. It dries clear and glossy. Hope this helps!

9 Michelle September 27, 2012 at 9:39 am

Diamond Glaze is the name of the product. I use it on a variety of things, works fab! Would have worked well for this bottle cap project. Google it to find their product page and a supplier. It’s like the stuff that Mod Podge makes, but I think it’s better.

10 Margo December 5, 2012 at 10:08 pm

In my experience, Diamond Glaze’s glossy luster goes flat, even milky sometimes, after awhile. The resin stays nice and clear for a very long time.

11 Meagan December 8, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I thought all the clear plastic crafty things were made with resin, but I’m not sure if that’s the same thing or not… A google search brings up a bunch of resin craft stuff though, so maybe it just needs to be processed differently?

12 Clare Picker December 8, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Mod Podge Dimensional Magic would be perfect- I used it recently to make bottle cap necklaces that are the same concept. Also it is nice and light so it won’t weigh your magnets down. It is much easier to use too, since it comes in a squeeze top bottle. You may have to order it online ( I couldn’t find it where I live in Colorado Springs) but it is a great product to work with. Your magnets are still adorable- I hope you find a workable solution!

13 Kristan May 10, 2012 at 9:01 am

MOD PODGE alllll the way!!!! kids can use it, and it washes right off little fingers, but doesn’t wash right off shirts if it’s had time to dry. Easy fix for that is an apron! We made these for my sisters baby shower and they dried easily and came out super cute!! http://pinterest.com/pin/180636635023873402/

14 mzkitty June 18, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I’ve had no luck with the Dimensional Magic, it turned yellow and a little cloudy.

15 Trish Waddles December 23, 2012 at 11:57 am

Yep, that’s what I’m using, Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. Got the idea off someone’s else’s blog. Good job on your project. I was just checking out blog’s to see what other people where doing design wise. Oh, and I bought my at Jo Ann’s Craft store for under $5 if I remember right.

16 Anon December 8, 2010 at 8:35 pm
17 Lauren December 8, 2010 at 8:36 pm

My friend makes jewelry from bottle caps just like this. She uses resin! It will stay clear, dry evenly and hard as rock!

18 Sarah December 8, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Martha Stewart suggests casting resin– whatever that is. The comments to this post about bottle cap magnets her site has tons of user input on what to and not to use… http://www.marthastewart.com/article/bottle-cap-magnets-and-thumbtacks

19 Boston Mamas December 8, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I would try PVA (polyvinyl acetate) glue. It’s a bookbinding glue but you can use it for other crafts and it’s super strong. It looks white like Elmer’s but dries clear.

20 Miran December 8, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I use ultra glo for all my resining. It is simply the best (I think).
here is the link where i buy it from:

they also have an easy how to video i believe either on their site or youtube.

cheers!

21 Barb December 8, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I use 3D Crystal Lacquer. Better luck next time!

22 amber December 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I’m going to agree with Sarah, except the stuff I’ve used is called Diamond Glaze. I used to work in the scrapbook industry and the chefs were using it for everything. It might take a few days to dry depending on thick you lay it on. But it dries clear and glossy. This is what I’ve used: http://www.amazon.com/JudiKins-Diamond-Glaze-Water-Adhesive/dp/B003RBYAO6

23 Chelsea December 8, 2010 at 8:42 pm

There is a great product called “envirotex lite”, it is a resin and you should be able to find it at a craft store. In Utah they carry it at Roberts Crafts, buy the smallest bottle they have.
After you mix it, when you are pouring it on – if you get any little bubbles, use a straw to gently blow them out. When they are how you want them let them sit overnight and they should be hard as a rock!
If you have any more questions feel free to email me- Good Luck!

24 lisa truesdell December 8, 2010 at 8:46 pm

i would back suggest diamond glaze or glossy accents – both will do what you want! such a cute idea, though – i hope she doesn’t mind recreating them!

25 Ebba December 8, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I second using Diamond Glaze, the latest version is called DG3. I’ve gotten mine at a bead store, but you can also get it from JoAnn Fabric at JoAnn.com
I use it for making pendant necklaces, it’s much easier to use than resin. I use Modge Podge to tack things in place, then do the diamond glaze. I use a pin to poke bubbles and push them out. Only thing I’ve found is to not use images I print out with an ink jet printer. Scrapbook paper works best

26 ariel December 8, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I did a project like this a few years ago and I used an acrylic based epoxy sealant (the kind that comes in two bottles and then you mix it together) from Michaels. It took a day to dry to tacky, and another day to dry completely. I still have the magnets on my fridge and they look great!

27 Katy December 8, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Judikins Diamond Glaze! I’ve been using it this week to fill pendants, and they are turning out PERFECTLY. Here’s the tutorial I’m using over at No Big Dill…her explanation of the details is super helpful! http://thedillspiel.blogspot.com/2010/10/conical-confection-craving.html

I LOVE these handmade gift ideas by the way. They make me wish I had a whole houseful of kiddos to work on projects for each other!

28 kristen December 8, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I would love to know an alternative to two-part resin, which is not-so-easy to work with. Before i had kids, I had a fantasy of sneaking around town at night and filling all of the big cracks in the sidewalk with plastic fish encased in resin!

29 Christina December 9, 2010 at 6:30 am

That would be so cool. I’d love to see the look on the city workers in the morning.

30 Kendra @ My Insanity December 8, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Diamond glaze. You might have to buy a few bottles to fill them that deeply, but I think it would do the trick! Cute idea! Keep us posted!

31 Jenna December 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm

My favorite is a product called Ice Resin, that I use when I make photo jewelry. I like this one because it is easy to use since you don’t have to mix the two solutions together… http://www.beaducation.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1999

But you can also but the solutions and mix them yourself (better value)

It takes about 48 hrs to dry.

I also like Gel Du Soleil for a quicker finish, but you need to either hold it under a UV lamp or put it outside in the sun to cure. This method only takes about 20 min. There is also a larger size bottle if you need more.

The method that would work best, depends on the materials you are using. The Gel won’t set if it seeps under anything.

The video on the bottom Gel link shows the difference between the two methods.

Good Luck!

32 Cheryl December 8, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I have yet to try this but one of the bloggers I’ve been following for years, Cathe Holden of _Just Something I Made_ uses something called _Amazing Glaze_ which is an embossing powder you can heat up in your oven. The cool thing about the embossing powder method is that if things don’t turn out just right, you only need to reheat the powder then carefully make your adjustments::

33 liz December 8, 2010 at 9:06 pm

my non-crafty innards are telling me to type clear nail polish. is that wt? Good luck! and I love your boots.

34 Sarah December 8, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Finally one I can answer!
My daughter did bottle cap necklaces for her birthday party. We used “Glossy Accents” clear, dimensional embellishment. I found it in the scrapbooking section of the craft store. It comes in a 2oz bottle and in either crackle or non crackle. (I used non)

One thing we learned this weekend when trying to make magnets for teachers is that when you put in the 1″ circle that you cut out it really needs to be glued in. Glue stick works just fine. And a bit thicker paper is better. No typing paper. And no washable markers. (we learned all that this weekend!)

This stuff dries in a few hours, though I asked my kids to wait till morning.

35 Tanya December 8, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Oh sad they look so cute

36 Amber, theAmberShow December 8, 2010 at 9:17 pm

My friend and I did this using melted crayons. We slowly melted them a drip-drop from one and a drip-drop from another. They made swirls and marbled. We didn’t put any do-dads in them, though.

I have no idea what you could use to make it clear, but if you wanted it opaque, melted crayons for sure.

37 bdaiss December 8, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Well, I’d say plenty of folks have given you some options. So I’ll just say LOVE IT! And I now know what my 4 year old is making his grandparents for Christmas. So let me know what product you end up using!

38 Clipits December 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

if i have so much time i would make these

39 Brittany December 8, 2010 at 9:42 pm

As a card carrying craftoholic I will add to the resin chorus. It will dry the hardest and keep your magnets nice forever. Just make sure you mix it up and apply it with disposable stuff, because it will basically be on whatever it touches forever. Resin can bubble as well, but you can get those out with a heat gun if you have one (or can get one at True Value).

40 Christin December 8, 2010 at 9:46 pm

This is totally going to sound like a sales pitch, but Liquid Glass by Close To My Heart would do the trick too. https://christin.myctmh.com/Retail/Product.aspx?ItemID=1030

41 Miranda December 8, 2010 at 9:52 pm

My first thought was Diamond Glaze and it looks like I’m not the only one. I’ve used it on similar projects and it is rad stuff. In Denver you can find it at Archivers.

42 twirling betty December 8, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I’m a huge fan of both Diamond Glaze and 3D Crystal Lacquer. Either would be great. And while I wouldn’t necessarily go around drinking either of them (!) they’re less toxic – or at least less fumey (yep, it’s a word) than the resin options.

43 Jenni December 8, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I was going to tell you Diamond Glaze and others have obviously agreed. :)

44 Laura December 8, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I used resin for mine…took a long time to dry but worked!

45 Ayme December 8, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I’ve never worked with resin, but I do have to say I love acrylic gel. You can find it at an art store, it’s basically acrylic paint without color, and you can add color if you want, or swirl it in, which looks COOL. It’s pretty thick, so can hold peaks if you want to do something like that. It dries flexible. It’s also non-toxic. Really cute idea, good luck!

46 Lamchops December 8, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Stampin up sells a glue-type product called “Crystal effects”. Try it out.

47 Katie December 8, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I did this last year for my nieces and nephews. I hand drew the alphabet. I used resin (2 parts, one’s the catalyst) and it dried in a day. I noticed some yellowing, but I think that’s from the glue I used to first adhere the cut-outs to the bottle cap. Resin will do the trick! I also cut-out pictures from magazines and those didn’t yellow. I think steering clear of white or light coloured paper will aid with that yellowing problem. Good luck!

48 Breckenrcook December 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I’m using easycast (you can find it at michael’s). If you are using paper with it you need to seal the paper–a couple of coats of mod podge on the front back and sides will do the trick. Good luck with the second try.

49 Ann B December 8, 2010 at 11:10 pm

We covered our images with packing tape (to keep them clear), then poured resin into the cap (it takes about 24 hours to dry). I’m not sure how it will work with the sparkly bits, but probably worth an experiment.

50 Raven December 8, 2010 at 11:35 pm

My little girl and I use GLOSSY ACCENTS when we make these. They dry over night and are super easy! Hope that helps.

51 Danielle B. December 9, 2010 at 12:05 am

Lol, I don’t know why the word FAIL is so funny. I laugh EVERY. TIME.

I think epoxy resin is what you need, though the fumes make it not craft friendly. I look forward to your solution. The magnets are adorable!

52 Denise Laborde December 9, 2010 at 3:49 am

Glossy Accents :http://store.scrapbook.com/gb-gac17042.html
Dries clear :)

53 katie r December 9, 2010 at 5:08 am

http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/product/34193/ or http://www.amazon.com/Judikins-Amazing-Enameling-Crafts-Jewelry/dp/B00346FUZW this is amazing glaze (an embossing powder) and is similar to diamond glaze (but cheaper) I sealed my paper using modpodge and then poured in the amazing glaze and baked them in the toaster oven until the glaze goes clear. Then all you wait for is for them to cool. Sorry it didn’t work for you guys, they look adorable :) Let me know if you have any ?s.

54 Crystal December 9, 2010 at 5:54 am

Resin would work, but I have also used diamond glaze. It’s a lot easier in my opinion.

55 Becky Sue December 9, 2010 at 6:06 am

I use Diamond Glaze in photo charms. It dries shiny and you can add color to it. See it here: http://cggrlogan.wordpress.com/2010/11/23/finally-new-jewelry/

So sorry that it didn’t work out the first time. :(

56 Kim December 9, 2010 at 6:18 am

Acrylic resin. We’ve beenplaying with it recently! It dries clear, doesn’t yellow, or you can add a tint (we tinted some white as well). Good news also, quick drying!

57 erin December 9, 2010 at 6:33 am

I would also recommend using a liquid medicine syringe to “inject” the resin instead of pouring it. You have a little more control over the resin and can add / subtract some if necessary.

58 mary December 9, 2010 at 6:41 am

Has anyone tried epoxy stickers? Saw them on etsy. Looks like you just stick them on.

59 Kristina December 9, 2010 at 6:51 am

Seconding Envirotex Lite- Pour On High Gloss Finish. It’s just what you have in mind.

60 Gina December 9, 2010 at 7:16 am

As I was reading your post I was thinking “Polyurethane? It should be Diamond Glaze!” It dries quickly and is a lot easier! I hope Betty is up for making some new ones!

61 Sarah December 9, 2010 at 7:17 am
62 Jane December 9, 2010 at 7:20 am

What about modge podge? My husband has been spraying my daughter’s craft projects with a polyurethane and EVERY ONE of the yellowed. I don’t know the brand offhand – but anything white turns yellow. Very frustrating.

I love your blog, btw! I’m making a batch of monogrammed mugs this year! Sewing up some mug rugs to with them.

63 Emily December 9, 2010 at 7:35 am

Yep, for sure clear resin. Go with whatever the best brand (usually the most expensive) is because it’s less likely to yellow. I get mine at an art supply store, but you may be able to get it at a hardware store. I’ve never thought to look there before. Good luck! :o)

64 Becki W December 9, 2010 at 7:38 am

I agree with Clare…use Mod Podge Dimensional Magic! Works great!

65 Kristin December 9, 2010 at 7:54 am

Thirding Envirotex Lite- Pour On High Gloss Finish! (we got ours from Michael’s) We recently used it to do a similar project where we put handmade flags on serving trays and then sealed them with a coat of this. Very strong smell though, I would do this without the kids around.

They used the same product here.

66 Kimmie S December 9, 2010 at 7:57 am

I like amazing glaze and diamond glaze from http://www.ornamentea.com. They have great tutorials and are super quick shippers too!

67 Lennie Dusek-Bryan December 9, 2010 at 7:57 am

We enjoyed this project last year during my daughter’s birthday party. We made the decorated bottle caps into necklaces & used MODGE PODGE to gloss the design. White glue to stick things down, modge podge to gloss it. -And the girls were able to wear their new jewelry home after only 30 minutes or so!

68 Lisa December 9, 2010 at 8:06 am

Diamond glaze is what we used.

Love,

The Uncrafty Family

69 Ashley Rae December 9, 2010 at 8:07 am

I actually use something from Ranger something i get from Michaels or Hobby Lobby

http://www.thecraftbarn.co.uk/section.php/509/1/glazes-and-3d-gloss-products (Ranger is my favorite (with the pink background)- usually dries over night or in a couple hours but Anita’s works too)

Liquitex – Glazing Medium & put it into a bottle with a spout & cap so i can control how much and when it comes out. and it usually dries overnight and you can add multiple layers without distorting your pieces.

I did a project similar to this in my senior year of college (for a collage class)… the glazing medium worked well because i did 150 bottle caps (i bought them off of ebay, i couldnt drink that much by myself lol) and for the smaller projects i do, the Ranger works perfectly.

I hope this helps! They look great!! :)

70 LTrew December 9, 2010 at 8:14 am

Resin is best but probably not four year old friendly, Ultra Thick Embossing Power works great for these though, just melt them in the oven on a low heat with the door open.

71 Kim Holmes December 9, 2010 at 8:20 am

Yep — Glossy Accents, Diamond Glaze or UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) Will work great!

72 Jesse December 9, 2010 at 8:27 am

I agree with all of the information that you have been given, I will say as someone living at altitude as well, you HAVE TO MAKE SURE you mix the two parts of an epoxy-resin. I had a project that had areas did not dry several years ago, I found that it was due to improper mixing of the expoxy. Just make sure that you mix it for a solid five minutes and you should be fine. What a cute craft, I can’t wait to see them finished up!

73 Alana Larson December 9, 2010 at 8:29 am

epoxy resin, fo shizzle!
my husband uses it for everything around here and it dries very quickly. it will look just like you need it too… like a full, clear puddle… but totally DRY.

74 Rebekah December 9, 2010 at 8:35 am

As others hinted at, you may want to secure the paper, beads and other shiny things with glue before you fill the caps. Trying to adjust their position in gloppy resin or glaze might not be so easy.

75 Nicole December 9, 2010 at 8:41 am

Clear nailpolish is often what I use for projects like this or modpodge

76 Tammy December 9, 2010 at 8:44 am

I used epoxy (resin) for mine. Purchased at Michaels. And it might help to glue pieces down before pouring the epoxy to keep them in place. It takes about 24 hours to dry. Good luck!

77 Stephanie December 9, 2010 at 8:46 am

I’ve used Glossy Effects and Diamond Glaze successfully before. A bottle should only run you $4 or so and should fill up all those bottle caps. Sorry about the polyurathane. What a bummer.

78 Lori MacRae December 9, 2010 at 8:48 am

Hey Gabby….

I think its resin !! Tell Betty that they look adorable anyway and good luck with the next batch ..I am certain that resin will work !!! PS: You are such a great and creative MUM !!!!!

LSAT MOM !!

Lori Mac =0)

79 Sweet T December 9, 2010 at 8:56 am

Diamond Glaze or Dimensional Magic. Works well with the bottle cap magnets I make with my nieces.

80 RL-D December 9, 2010 at 9:27 am

hot glue?

81 Marlo December 9, 2010 at 9:37 am

We have made these many times and always filled them with a clear glue and its works every time. Good luck.

82 Amanda Joy December 9, 2010 at 9:42 am

There is something the craft stores seel which is similar to diamond glaze. It is by the Inkessentials brand. Maybe that is what the Dimensional Magic is. It runs about $8.50, but with a coupon you could cut that in half. They have a matte finish, a glossy finish, and even a crackle finish; it just depends on the look you are going for.

A word of caution… I used those same magnets at a YW activity on those fun clear stones mixed with scrapbook paper to make “prayer rock” magnets. Those magnets are only strong enough to hold up the rock. If I add a sheet of paper the rock slides down the fridge. If you want them purely as decor they will work great, but if you want them to function, you may have to invest in stronger magnets.

Good luck and Merry Christmas:)

83 craftyashley December 9, 2010 at 10:02 am
84 Martina December 9, 2010 at 10:05 am

I used to work at Michaels Arts & Crafts and we sold the stuff you need too. I think it was called resin. Epoxy resin maybe?

85 l beard December 9, 2010 at 10:14 am

I’ve successfully used Easy Cast, a clear casting epoxy resin. You mix two liquids together (follow directions) and pour it in. You can use a small coffee-stirrer/straw to gently blow the tiny bubbles away if they appear. The resin dries clear and will be dry in about 24 hours for the bottle caps. There are other brands and most come in two sizes; you don’t need much for bottle caps. I got mine at Hobby Lobby, but they don’t carry it anymore. Sometimes university book stores with art departments sell them for the sorority paddles. Good luck!

86 Leah December 9, 2010 at 10:20 am

Have you seen the Klutz bottle cap kit? It comes with a product called 3D Crystal Lacquer. It’s non toxic and dries quickly! You can order replacement bottles (and bags of smooth edged bottle caps) from their website.

87 Mathew December 9, 2010 at 10:25 am

liquid nails

88 just December 9, 2010 at 10:27 am

what a beautiful idea! love it. cant wait to hear what corrects your issue tho. i have a collection of vintage caps i got at a barn sale that im dyin to use for a project like this.

89 Porsche December 9, 2010 at 10:32 am

Hey Gabby,
2 other people have said what I would have said. The new product called Mod Podge Dimensional Magic is what I would do. It sounds like it adds the cool dimension aspect to the bottle caps.

Sorry that had to happen to Betty!

90 Meridith December 9, 2010 at 10:44 am

I used to make lap board and finish them with this really sticky stuff that turns plasticky called “Pour-on.” It dries very hard and looks really cool because it’s thicker than poly. I think you can get it at your local hardware store. Hope this helps.

Oh, it’s pretty stinky, though, before it dries.

Meridith

91 Meridith December 9, 2010 at 10:45 am
92 lorchick December 9, 2010 at 12:01 pm

you want a scrapbooking product called Diamond Glaze. It will dry over a few hours, or overnight if you really pile it on. I did these with fishbowl-themes as my group craft at the special needs camp I volunteered at last year. No odor or anything!

93 danielle December 9, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I use a product called triple thick – its what they recommended inthe craftstore and it works great.

94 Sabrina December 9, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Gabbrielle, love the blog! You should use Diamond Glaze or Glossy Accents: http://www.amazon.com/Judikins-GP008-Diamond-Glaze-10-Ounce/dp/B000S16WQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291921324&sr=8-1
or

They are staples in the scrapbooking world and will yield beautiful results!

Good Luck! Sabrina

95 Emily Rose December 9, 2010 at 12:38 pm

While it is not very kid friendly (this would be the grown-up part of the project!) Envirotex Lite is a super easy to use epoxy resin that is available at Michaels and Joanns. Its super clear and is really easy to mix. It does smell bad so do it in a ventilated place. Also its NOT good to get on your fingers!

96 abbeyviolet December 9, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I was thinking Glossy Accents too: http://store.scrapbook.com/gb-gac17042.html — Usually can find it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby too. Might be as simple as Modge Podge though. Let us knwo what you figure out!

97 kyla December 9, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Funny, we made bottle cap magnets a few weeks ago with Christmas-y paper. We used Modge Podge to coat and seal and scattered seed beads around the edges (glued using white glue). But I’m not sure if the Modge Podge would work for you on top of the plastic stuff. Works great for paper, though!

98 Erin Oltmanns December 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Made these a few years ago too…I whole heartedly agree with everyone that has suggested Glossy Accents.

99 Helen Ambrose December 9, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Hi! Sorry if my comment is a bit late but I have worked with a few different types of resin and the like and as a general rule poly requires a hardening substance added to make it set… perhapes that is why they are not drying??

100 Lauren L December 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm

you need that bar top pouring urethane–sold as home despot.

these will not cure, most likely.

101 Sara December 9, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Rather than read all 94 to decide if this is already suggested I’ll just say it.
Mod podge comes in a squeeze tube. I use it for washer necklaces and I am positive it would work well for your project. I have also used Stampin’ Up’s Crystal Effects. Both dry hard and clear.

102 diana December 9, 2010 at 3:05 pm

wow! i don’t have anything to help, but i just have to say;
1. even design mom’s crafts fail sometimes!
2. you have the craftiest readers ever!!
thanks again!

103 Elizabeth December 9, 2010 at 3:07 pm

FYI as a former Sherwin Williams (aka Minwax) employee, Polyurethane is an oil based product and will naturally yellow, it does it to your wood floors and is why it is not recommended to be used over top paints (among other reasons). If you still wanted to use a urethane and keep it free of yellowing you would want to use polycryclic which is water based, much safer for interior use, and recommended for use over oil and water based paint, wall paper, etc. Just for future reference!

104 Jessica Hess December 9, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Some of the above posters are correct, resin. Glossy Accents by Ranger or Diamond Glaze by Judikins will work in about an hour. They are available here in the Denver Metro area at: Archiver’s, Hobby Lobby, Michael’s. If the resin isn’t to your liking the other products are easy and have a tiny tip which makes putting the glaze in easy for a little one. They come out looking milky and dry clear in an hour or two.

105 jodee December 9, 2010 at 6:14 pm

we used resin when doing ours. we also sealed the paper with modge podge after putting in inside the bottle cap. It gives it a little protection from the resin turning it yellow and getting wet. it also helps the little do dads stick in there. good luck!

106 Mod Podge Amy December 9, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I would love to send you some Mod Podge Dimensional Magic straightaway – please send me your mailing addy to modpodgerocks (at) gmail dot com. You simply must try it! :D

107 Kristi December 9, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Yes, I just read about this and it does seem the way to go! I want to go get some, too. I hate stinky chemicals and this is water-based.

108 Michelle December 9, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I saw this a while ago, you could try the acrylic water they used…

109 Pat T December 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm

One of my 5th grade students made a bottlecap magnet for me as a goodbye present when I finished my clinical observation. I happen to be subbing for the class tomorrow, I’ll ask her what she used. It’s filled with clear hardened whatever it is!

110 Pat T December 12, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Big help I am, my 5th grader doesn’t know what it’s called. Hope it worked out ok.