Two Things in the Kitchen

November 3, 2010

Can I show you two new things in my kitchen that I’m happy about?

First, this dishtowel from World Market. It is $6 and really good-looking. You should go get one because it will make you happy every time you dry your hands.

Second, our new kitchen table! You will laugh, but up until a few weeks ago, we were using an old desk we purchased from a university surplus sale. It’s a cool desk. But it’s much too tiny for a big family. Can you imagine eight of us crowded around this? When our plates were on the table, there was no room for serving dishes. : )

I’ve known we needed a new table for ages, but I couldn’t find anything I loved. I wanted round, I wanted good-looking, and I wanted something the kids couldn’t hurt. Plus, my taste runs to industrial looking — hard to spot in a kitchen table. So when I found this round, metal, reproduction table at a Old Glory Antiques, I just about jumped for joy. I bought it the same day.

What do you think? Do you like it? If you could pick round, square or rectangle for your kitchen table, which would you pick?

1 Tanya November 3, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I am in LOVE with that towel too! Happy you got a big new table :)

2 Wendy November 3, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I love it I love it I love it!!!! (I’m kicking my leg up in the air as I say this—ala Molly Shannon)

3 Katie November 3, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I have round because that’s what works best in my dining space. It only seats 6 with no room for serving dishes. But we’re a fam of 3.

4 deborah@applesinwonderland November 3, 2010 at 4:39 pm

i dig the industrial vintage look too. love the table. if i were to replace our rectangle i would go for round–best for conversation, imho. but, i cannot part with all the poke holes and marks my boys have made in the one we’ve had forevah. :)

5 Karen/Chookooloonks November 3, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Our kitchen table? Is rectangular.

But our formal dining room table? ROUND, baby. I love me a round table.

Well done. :)

6 Barb November 3, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Love it – I actually have an end table in my living room that is almost an exact miniature of your kitchen table.

7 Steph November 3, 2010 at 5:04 pm

LOVE IT! I am all about a round table. It’s so nice to have everyone more together!

8 Anna November 3, 2010 at 5:26 pm

It’s fabulous! We bought a round table five years ago and haven’t looked back! It’s great for our family and for dinner parties! No one gets left on the end!

I especially love that my round table has leaves that you put on to make it bigger and it still stays round!

9 Dana November 3, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I love the industrial too. We also had a desk for a kitchen/dining room table for a long time. I found a big round table top at a consignment store that I put on top of the desk and although it was just a little bit too high (and a little unstable), it worked fine for a long time – just had to keep a table cloth on top. Eventually I decided it was time for a grown up table, but I still have fond memories of my desk/table. Now my BIL has the desk and the round top went back to the consignment store. sniff.

10 Kristen November 3, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Love it! I’m sure you’ll be very happy together.
I too am a fan of round pedestal tables. I love mine ( which I rescued from someone’s trash and painted a cheery yellow)!

11 Leanne November 3, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Oh, I love that table. I know what you mean being crowded around the dinner table. I would love a big round table. It would fit the best in our dining area (not room-area).

12 Jennifer November 3, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I LOVE IT!! Do they have more of that same table? SO jealous.

13 Amanda Conley November 3, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I LOVE your new table. In fact – I met a guy who travels around the United States (and has many in stores) who makes tables exactly like that. Does that one spin? Several of his did. He takes antique industrial parts and welds them into new pieces and adds great old pieces of wood or metal to the tops. I had my eye on several of his pieces – including one very similar to yours, except bar height. I wonder if he’s the same guy?
Anyway, kudos on your new table. It’s really lovely.

14 Rachel Halatokoua November 3, 2010 at 6:22 pm

LOVE it. It’s bookmakers press meets Sheraton Style–all under your roof!

15 Angela Noelle November 3, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I think it depends on your room too. Love the table.

16 Jennifer Brailsford November 3, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Definitely round…like you, it has been hard to find something indestructible for our family.

17 JWK November 3, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Absolutely LOVE the table! (And the dish towel too!) Round all the way…

18 LORI November 3, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Gabby……….the table to to die for……..thank you so much for the scoop on that store it is unreal….. !!!! What did the kids say ????
I agree about “a special” hand towel for your kitchen !! Mine it is my favorite and most coveted thing I bought myself in Provence two years ago !! The colours make me happy !!!

Lori (LSAT Mom) =0)

19 Meredith November 3, 2010 at 8:08 pm

thanks for sharing where you got the table– that store is just a few minutes from my house and i’ve been dying to check it out but haven’t had a chance to get in there yet (every time we’re over there, i’ve got the husband and kiddos with me and i know they would rush me too much). . . will have to move it up on my list now!

20 Bethany November 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I love the round table. We have a round table as well and if you can find narrow chairs, you can always add one more to the party!

21 naomi November 3, 2010 at 8:35 pm

It looks perfect. I hope you have many happy meals around it, serving dishes included!

22 Kim Simmonds November 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I miss World Market. They closed all the stores in Minnesota. I loved browsing everything there, especially this time of year, and they always had great supplies for gift baskets.

23 Nicole November 3, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I love the detail under the table. Gorgeous!

24 Karin November 3, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Wait, I remember reading about when you had that huge metal table made- wasn’t that your dining table?? Or do you just use it for arts, crafts, homework, etc? Either way it was awesome! I’m glad you have something nice and new to eat at.

25 Vanessa November 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm

This made me laugh. We have been living in Australia as students for the last couple of years (originally from the US) so when we got here we tried to furnish our place as cheaply as possible. We are using that same kind of desk as our dining table (got it from the University) but we only have 4 people to sit around it. There still isn’t much room for serving dishes though. I think my ideal table would be square.

26 Kelly November 3, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Looks awesome! I hope it does not spin too freely (it looks like it raises and lowers).

Just curious, what’s the diameter? We have a tulip table in bad shape, which I love, but I wonder how long I will be able to use it as our family grows.

27 bettijo @ PagingSupermom November 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm

love, LOVE the new table!

I really struggle with our kitchen table. In our old house we had all kinds of room and had this great long rectangle that could seat 8-12. I loved it. Sadly one of the only things I disliked about our new house was that this table wouldn’t fit. The space for the table is way too small and the best shape I’ve found is an oval (round stuck out too far into the walkway), but still the most we can squish in is 6. Right now there are just 4 of us, but we have people over for dinner all the time so the table thing is driving me crazy.

28 Juliana Chan November 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm

We have a round glass table and we LOVE it!

29 Heather November 3, 2010 at 11:18 pm

So timely, as I am struggling with this very question. I think I have decided on rectangle. But my MIL and all these comments (!!!) are making think about round. I need to make a decision soon! Your new table is great! Here’s to many happy family meals!

30 Erin November 3, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Love it, but I’m also envious of that desk. If I lived in Denver, I’d offer to take it off your hands! :) We have a large rectangle, which is the only shape our room lay-out permits. PS- It probably only looks like it spins, but I hope there is a locking mechanism on that baby… did you ever see the original Yours, Mine & ours w/ Lucille Ball, all those kids, and the lazy suzan? Good times.

31 lakshmi November 4, 2010 at 5:07 am

I love the towel ! Such a happy towel :)

32 Kristin November 4, 2010 at 5:32 am

Round. Round. Round. I love round kitchen tables.

33 Anya November 4, 2010 at 6:25 am

What a great table. Doesn’t take up too much space and the round shape is perfect if you happen to have kids running around!

34 Sharon November 4, 2010 at 6:45 am

I love rectangular harvest tables with big windsor chairs. The kids can be a bit hard on it though. What kind of bowls are in that picture?

35 Kim November 4, 2010 at 6:51 am

We have a triangle table. And, I pretty much love it. I love the round too.

36 Connie S. November 4, 2010 at 7:19 am

Beautiful table-I love the deep espresso hue.
My dream table is long and narrow rectangle, with a tall-backed armless chair at either end with two benches for the long sides. I have always thought that benches are friendly-and much less cluttered than trying to fit 6-8 chairs around a table in an eat-in kitchen.

37 Sarah R. November 4, 2010 at 8:01 am

Round all the way (if you have the space).

BTW, am I the only one in love with those bowls? Please spill where they are from–I’m dying to have them.

Also, Amanda Conley–you can’t make a comment like that without giving a name. I MUST look up that guy!

38 Jessica Witty November 4, 2010 at 8:28 am

I’ve been searching *daily* for the perfect dining room table… any more details on the maker of this one so that I can just order it and stop spending my life looking?!

39 bdaiss November 4, 2010 at 8:41 am

That is a spectacular table! I’d love it as well. And I definitely love Old Glory. I’ve been there a few times. *drool*

Right now our kitchen and dining room tables are rectangular. Actually we just picked up a new-to-us dining set last night! Quite a bargain – found it in the classifieds. I love round tables, but I just can’t make them fit in our house. *sigh* (Plus you don’t find much in mission style that’s round…)

40 KarinS November 4, 2010 at 8:47 am

Gorgy! I’m on the hunt for a round pedestal for our kitchen too. I love the look of a round kitchen table. You can fit several around it but it feels more intimate than a long rectangle.

41 Damaris @Kitchen Corners November 4, 2010 at 8:49 am

I think round tables are so charming. My Cali apartment is tiny. We have a rectangular table. I used to hate it but now I appreciate it.

42 Jan @ Family Bites November 4, 2010 at 8:57 am

What a fun table! I think round ones are outstanding…..

43 amyks November 4, 2010 at 8:57 am

We are in need of a new table, too. We currently have an old, old, oak farm table that belonged to my husband’s grandmother. I like it, but it doesn’t fit into the decor of our new modern kitchen. It may work if my husband would let me paint it a high gloss cherry red color, and then get some “modern” styled chairs, but he isn’t feeling it, so we have been on the search for a new table for months now. Lots of great stuff via the internet, but I really need to see it in person. A trip to Italy may be in order:)

44 Tabitha (From Single to Married) November 4, 2010 at 9:07 am

it’s very cool – I love it! But then again, your old table looked cool too. :) Of course I’m more into square/rectangle so that’s probably why I think that!

45 Joseph November 4, 2010 at 9:11 am

For me, truthfully, the color is too dark. But that said, I have to say, too, that what I think doesn’t matter. You love it, and that’s all that matters. I firmly believe people ought to decorate their homes and remodel their kitchens and baths to their own tastes and needs. Why in the world spend all that money on a house payment if you’ve living in a home you frankly don’t care for–and doing so for the worst of reasons, for fear that you will lessen the re-sale value.

46 Amanda Joy November 4, 2010 at 9:26 am

This is great! I always lean toward square. I love geometrics, and square is the most calming to me:)

47 Judi November 4, 2010 at 10:47 am

Well thank you for giving me a destination for my afternoon walk today! I will be heading to World Market!! And I love the table! I love same day buys that you just can’t leave the store without! I prefer square…but only because I like straight lines to line things up with. Haha. =)

48 Karen M November 4, 2010 at 11:45 am

LOVE your new table! I’m all for round and am currently searching for THE perfect round dining room table. Wishing you many meals filled with happiness and love around your new table!

49 Sara November 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Love your new table! Yay for you! I think round is definitely the best for conversation, but it seems like many homes don’t have a the space for a large one. We actually currently don’t have a table in our kitchen…just a bar with stools, so we eat breakfast and dinner in our dining room which has been very nice! I really, really want a new table for in there, but can’t justify doing it now while my kids are still little and destroying it ;). We’ll be moving soon, too, so I don’t want to limit my choices to ones that would fit in our current (not very large) room. The main thing I want in my fantasy table, is a manageable size for our family of 4 on a daily basis, but able to expand for big parties and holidays (to at least 10)…it would be amazing to find a round table that could do that!

50 Melissa November 4, 2010 at 12:20 pm

It looks like one of Jason’s tables! Love it!! You might like the rest of his work:

51 180|360 November 4, 2010 at 12:41 pm

The table is sublime and boy could I do some damage in that store!

52 Loretta Fontaine (APPLESandRUBIES) November 4, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Gabrielle – Round! I love a round table, anywhere! Lovely post and and you write a beautiful blog!
Loretta

53 Rebekah November 4, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Why choose? We don’t have room for a table in our kitchen, but I designed tables for the dining room/living room that are a giant square table, which opens and adds a large leaf and makes it a rectangle. Then there are two semi-circle tables that can be put at either end to make the whole thing an oval, or put together to make a circle. Options are bliss!

54 Hil November 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I too want to know more about those bowls!

55 rockmelon November 4, 2010 at 3:20 pm

We have a round 6 seater, it has kids initials scratced in it when they thought we were not looking, and the varnish is nearly worn off, and the pedestal has been rescrewed twice… but i love it! There is something cosy about something with no corners…

56 Molly W. November 4, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Its just plain rad. I love industrial too so I think its just perfect!

57 carolyn November 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm

The table is awesome. I would love a new dining room table and I love the industrial style…perfect for kids, yet still very hip. I also would love to know about the bowls…are they pewter? Ceramic? (Maybe Heath Ceramics?)

58 Clara November 4, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Love your new table! And I’m with you, ROUND is the way to go!

59 norah November 4, 2010 at 7:57 pm

what’s the diameter of your table?
i love round…just not sure we have the space.
right now the 6 of us squeeze around an ikea meltorp table that is way too small for us (49″ x 29″). but it was cheap!

60 Rendy Lemke November 5, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Love a round table! Love Old Glory Antiques!

61 plaeground November 5, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I think I would spend all my $$ at Old Glory if it were in Phoenix!! I too am into the industrial look but unfortunately have a square kitchen table that is more traditional looking than I would like. :-( Gabby, and hints as to how to change my drab square wood table to look more industrial?

62 aimee @ paging supermom November 5, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I love your new table. I know why you bought it the day you saw it. So cool.

Round tables are great. I feel it offers great conversation because everyone can see everyone. We currently have a rectangle table because it fits the space. We recently had a stainless steel table top fabricated–which I love. The stainless steel top is so family friendly (and just plain looks cool)!

63 reckless driving attorneys November 13, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Very nice. We have a triangle table. And, I pretty much love it I really like it. Thanks for sharing it.

64 gigs from home November 16, 2010 at 1:23 am

kindly give any more details on the maker of this one so that I can just order it and stop spending my life looking,its looks great .