The Beauty of Different

November 10, 2010

Karen Walrond of Chookooloonks (photographer, writer, true friend and sometimes lawyer) just had her first book published. It’s called The Beauty of Different and Friends, it’s a book you will love. Every page is full of striking imagery and smart words. I can think of several people in my life who will be receiving this gorgeous volume for Christmas.

When clever Karen sent her book to me, she also included lots of fun extras — little details that relate to the book and all the hard work that went into it. Things like a moleskin journal (in red!), a bar of dark chocolate, an original painting by Mars Woodhill. Plus, there were pretty postcards noting each item and their importance. Wow! I was so impressed with the thought that went into this collection. Laura Mayes called it “the coolest press kit I’ve ever received“, and I agree. I felt super lucky to receive it.

Congratulations to Karen on such an accomplishment!

1 Kristen E November 10, 2010 at 12:31 pm

That book looks AMAZING! I think it may go on my list of things to give away, too. :)

On a related note, I sent my cousin (momma to 3 boys) a subscription to “Seeing the Everyday” magazine after seeing it on my blog and she LOVES it. She has a hard time relaxing and enjoying her kids – she’s a big worrier – and I think it’s helping her to see the value in quiet moments of time, even if the table isn’t cleared or there’s some dog hair on the floor. ;)

2 Damaris @Kitchen Corners November 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Maggy’s quote made me emotinal. This book looks awesome.

3 Andrea November 10, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Is the book written for adult women, or would it be an appropriate gift for a teenager?

4 Renata C. November 10, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Gabrielle, the book looks fine but I really, really like that painting! I’ll go check out the artist’s website. Thank you for being so inspirational each and every week.

5 Moms in School Blog November 10, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Gabrielle, this book looks so amazing! Thanks so much for bringing it to everyone’s attention. I love things that introduce such positivity into the world.

6 Michele November 10, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I definitely think I will be getting this book….Can I pleeease have the name and location of that fabulous fabric in the background?

7 Sarah Craig November 10, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I just got an email from a friend who reads your blog, saying, “Is that YOU?” and she included this link. I haven’t gotten a chance to see the book yet, so I screamed in delight to see what page you had open! Thanks for giving me a sneak peek! :) Sarah “Fish Lips” Craig ;)

8 Carrie November 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm

So utterly lovely. And I think a book, a bar of quality chocolate and a moleskine journal has just become my new favorite gift to give.

Visiting your blog always makes me smile. It’s such a delightful constant in such a busy, crazy, sometimes-unlovely world. Thank you!

9 elz November 11, 2010 at 8:25 am

I am so ridiculously excited for Karen and can’t wait to see the book. I’m in it…somewhere. I ordered several copies (before I knew I was in it ;)) to give as gifts. I think they will make lovely reminders that we are all beautiful in different ways.

10 twirling betty November 11, 2010 at 3:16 pm

What an amazing book. I am constantly telling my daughter (who can tend to perfectionism – no idea where she, ahem, might have inherited that from) that perfection is boring and difference is what makes the world interesting and enriching. Not sure how much is sinking in (she is only 5, after all) but this would be a beautiful thing to sit down and pore over with her. Might leave the quote about not needing to take drugs out just for the moment, though!