My Visit to Ebay

November 16, 2010

My trip to eBay in San Jose was fantastic — I got to meet Samantha Bee! And I learned all about Unwrap Attacks. Which are my new favorite thing. Unwrap Attacks happen when someone opens a gift they really want and go nuts. Samantha Bee (of the Daily Show) is the spokesperson for this holiday Love to Give campaign and she is hilarious. Watch this:

After we learned about unwrap attacks (seeing the happy kids had me bawling), we got to meet Samantha Bee in person — and even shot a little holiday footage with her. So awesome! Here I am, with Baby June and Samantha Bee, in a sleigh in front of a blue screen. If the footage they shot turns out, I’ll be sure to share:

I also learned loads of other interesting things. I’ve made a short list so that I don’t forget anything.

1) We spent the day on the eBay campus learning, learning and learning. We learned facts about the company, like they have over 16,000 employees located across the globe. And we learned about a few of their latest programs.

2) Like the cool new eBay boxes. They come in 3 sizes and they’re designed to be used 5 times. You can register the box number here and track its travels around the country. As an incentive for reusing the box, you can even earn eBay bucks. The best part: the boxes have little spaces where you can leave messages for the next box recipient. Cute!

3) We also learned about the new Group Gifting option eBay developed. Have you ever tried to buy a gift for someone and have all your coworkers chip in? Or maybe fellow moms around the neighborhood? It can be awkward to make sure everyone has paid, and the organizer often ends up footing the bill. The new group gifting option at eBay promises to solve all that. You can learn about it here.

4) And we found out eBay has some really cool charitable auctions happening this holiday through their Giving Works program. For example, you could bid on a celebrity golf trip to Hawaii with sports greats like Steve Young, benefitting the Children’s Miracle Network. Or you could bid on dinner with President Clinton and three friends — with proceeds going to the Clinton Foundation.

Thank you to eBay for hosting me. Thanks to my fellow bloggers for oohing and aahing over baby June and pretending she wasn’t an interruption — Janice, Rachael, Kat, Sheila, Eileen, Louise, Jenny, Amy and Naomi. And thank you to the folks at Mekanism for organizing the terrific event.

I have high hopes that I’ll cause a few Unwrap Attacks this year. How about you?

P.S. — You can find more photos from the event here. Also. Score! I won some of my plates on eBay last week. I can’t wait till they arrive. I might have an Unwrap Attack when I open them. : )

1 EazilyAmuzed~Kelley November 16, 2010 at 12:19 am

Your life looks awesome! How much fun. :) That little babe of yours is way too cute to not be a distraction.

2 Rachael November 16, 2010 at 12:19 am

Fabulous post and fabulous ladies! Had so much fun – and have been using that new Red Laser app they talked about in all of my shopping. It’s totally ninja!

3 amy turn sharp November 16, 2010 at 4:26 am

pretty awesome! and JUNE omg adorbs. And the video had me weepy- is there nothing better than kid excitement and love? xo

4 Kage November 16, 2010 at 5:32 am

That video! Dominique is the sweetest…I’ve worked with her before.

5 Marta November 16, 2010 at 5:32 am

jajaja love the video! and the eBay Boxes are a great idea, can wait to star using them!

6 Wendy November 16, 2010 at 8:22 am

How very cool! I love S. Bee and The Daily Show! How fun!!

7 K November 16, 2010 at 8:29 am

I’m a bit jealous – I love Samantha Bee!

8 Amy November 16, 2010 at 9:29 am

Love the group photo of us! What a great trip and a fabulous group of ladies!

9 Tanya November 16, 2010 at 9:40 am

Oh I just love Ebay, well even more now after this post. I’m so happy you got to bring Baby June AND You won dishes. Sounds like Christmas came a bit early for Design Mom :)

10 kitchen-dreams November 16, 2010 at 9:47 am

I am a huge eBay fan and love all of these ideas!!! I think these ideas will be a nice little pick-me-up for eBay!

11 Kate Reymann November 16, 2010 at 10:10 am

You are soooo lucky you met Samantha Bee! I read an article about her in the New York Times a few weeks about her thoughts on home design and I told my husband we could be best friends. He read the article and said, “yeah, you two could be best friends. That is really weird.” Anyway, lucky you! What a fun trip.

12 Anne November 16, 2010 at 10:15 am

I never think of ebay as being a real place with real people. I love seeing the pictures of the campus.

13 Damaris @Kitchen Corners November 16, 2010 at 10:42 am

Long love fellow bloggers who don’t mind our babies. Isn’t blogging the best community ever?!

Thanks for sharing those cool boxes. Good to know since I’m totally done with Amazon after their pedophile scandal.

14 Naomi November 16, 2010 at 10:43 am

Fabulous trip, wonderful company (eBay, Mekanism and all of the bloggers, too), and Samantha Bee in a sleigh. What more could I ask for? Not much but baby June was a sweet addition.

15 Michaela November 16, 2010 at 11:17 am

Looks like a blast!! My hometown is San Jose (:

16 CMN November 16, 2010 at 11:22 am

Um, so I’d like to admit that I want to be on the receiving (and resending) end of one of those eBay boxes! That just looks cool!

17 Pam November 16, 2010 at 11:40 am

Just posted this on my blog. I’m in hysterics! Love it..thanks for sharing and boy that baby June is too cute.

18 Louise November 16, 2010 at 11:45 am

Your photographer was amazing and quite a good baby sitter I might add. It was great to see you again. I think my favorite part was the eBay Box.

19 Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) November 16, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Fabulous wrap up! It was such a treat to have you and Ben and June there!

I am still playing catch up around here — had to get a school project done last night for Jackson too! But I must get my wrap up done asap.

I hope it is ok if I use one or two of your shots? — with links back to you of course!

20 dunski November 16, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I’ve never heard of her before. This video is so hilarious! Even though it’s past 11 pm over here, I had to laugh out loud!
Thanks for sharing!
I bet it must have been a great opp to meet with her.
And yes, i’m glad there’s ebay. ;)

21 Treva November 16, 2010 at 5:14 pm

That video is hilarious! My stomach is KILLING me I was laughing so hard. I try to launch an unwrap attack at least a couple times a year, purely on principle. It just feels really good to be wildly happy. Added bonus: the bigger the attack, the better the giver feels and you’re more likely to get something great from them again.

See? It’s all about me.

22 Lucie B. November 16, 2010 at 5:14 pm

such great info. Hey — how do you stay so thin??? My son is 14 months old and I tell you – those last 10 pounds have decided to stay and make my life miserable. You look great. Please share your secrets!

23 Rachel Halatokoua November 16, 2010 at 10:56 pm

How fun for you! Can’t wait to hear more about it.

R

24 Alison November 17, 2010 at 7:58 am

I love that you are rocking the Sakura Bloom ring sling – and June is cute too. :) You also look amazing for having a baby! I’m so not there yet, can I be you? ;)

25 Kelly November 19, 2010 at 7:33 am

samantha bee is hilarious. appropriately inappropriate.

26 Kate The Great November 19, 2010 at 11:59 pm

You look gorgeous in that last picture, chica. In the grey pencil skirt and the grey sweater–and those pumps? They look great with that outfit. My mom had a pair like those when I was a girl and I wish I could steal them from her for my wardrobe now. Alas, we don’t have the same shoe size.

27 rkwpnw November 20, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Love Sam Bee too! Man… I am thinking of ways to cause some unwrap attack now.
The recycling box ideas is RAD. Columbia sportswear does that too, and its about time this gets to Ebay.