Kirtsy Girls

November 2, 2010

Laurie Smithwick and Laura Mayes were here the weekend before Halloween. We were having a little retreat to talk about what’s next for Kirtsy, the site we started years and years ago. They have been my business partners for ages, but this was the first time they had met my kids. I was so happy to have them in my home! Laura brought her 5-year-old son, Harry, and he got along famously with Oscar and Betty.

Basically, we sat around all weekend by the cozy fire and did two things:

1) Passed around iphones and downloaded the apps Laura and Laurie recommended. Talking Carl was a particular favorite.

2) There were lots of jam sessions. Every one had to play something. Harry was especially fond of the trombone and he played it so well that Oscar and Betty wanted to get in on that as well. At one point, Laurie was playing one of the tiny guitars and Laura Mayes was strumming a quarter size cello. We didn’t get enough photos!

Also. I don’t think Oscar put a shirt on the entire weekend.

I love these ladies so much! I can’t believe how lucky I am to work with them and to have them in my life. It’s hard to feel more inspired than I do after time spent with Laura and Laurie.

1 Petit Elefant November 2, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I happen to love those girls too.

A lot.

2 Lucie B. November 2, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Just downloaded Talking Carl onto my iPhone. what a hoot! Can’t wait for my 14 month old to play with it!!! Thanks for the tip :)

3 Mary A. November 2, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I work long distance with a business partner that I love as well. Isn’t it wonderful? Don’t you feel lucky every time you collaborate (or just chit chat)?

4 Lisa Mackin November 3, 2010 at 5:48 am

Looks like a LOUD, fun time!

5 Melissa B. November 3, 2010 at 10:11 am

We love Talking Carl at our house. Our favorite thing to make him say is, “I want a turkey sandwich.” I don’t know why it is so funny, but it is! It must be the combination of Carl’s voice and my children’s funny little-kid accents.

6 bettijo @ PagingSupermom November 3, 2010 at 11:38 am

I had to laugh about Oscar and no shirt — that’s my little Piper, only a bit worse because she’s a girl, but at least she’s only three. Funny thing is it’s not so much that she never puts on clothes, she just can’t stand to wear the same outfit for longer then 10 minutes. I swear she wears 5-8 outfits a day and spends over half of the day in her birthday suit. Hopefully she’ll grow out of it!

7 Petra Morvay November 3, 2010 at 2:05 pm

So much fun! I wonder how you met these perfect ladies:) I am looking for a business partner (in Budapest, Hungary) – I hope I get it right.

8 Happenstance November 3, 2010 at 2:08 pm

That’s awesome. I get a sense of the great energy from these photos:)

9 Live Love Small November 3, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Thanks for the app tip! Just downloaded…Talking Carl is too funny!

10 Parakh November 3, 2010 at 4:16 pm

we LOVE Talking Carl! My youngest has been ‘talking’ to him since he was 2…it CRACKS us up when he seems to have found someone to have a conversation with…SO simple and SOOOO brilliant!

11 Chapter Forty November 3, 2010 at 5:00 pm

In our house Talking Carl has been known to capture angry parent voices, diffusing the situation and make us all laugh hysterically.

12 christina November 3, 2010 at 9:23 pm

oh yes love talking carl! Now that my phone can track my newborns feedings through baby hub I really believe it does everything!

13 Petit Elefant November 4, 2010 at 6:32 pm

And, by the way, how absolutely stinking CUTE is Harry? Holy cow.