DIY: Monogram Mugs

November 22, 2010

DIY monogram mug

Friends! I’m so pleased to share our first gift DIY of the season. Maude made these fantastic monogrammed mugs over the weekend. Don’t they look terrific? The idea came when we saw these fun initial cups at Anthropologie and remembered our kitchen was lacking in hot cocoa mugs. We decided to create a whole set.

It’s a very doable project. Inexpensive. Eco-friendly. And family-friendly too — these mugs are dishwasher safe. I can’t wait to tell you all about it.

1) We started with a trip to Goodwill, where we collected 8 plain white mugs. Enough for the entire family. There was even a little one without a handle that we thought would be perfect for baby food for June. Mugs were 50 cents each and we had dozens and dozens to choose from.

DIY monogram mug

2) Then we gathered supplies. Scissors, pen, tape, graphite transfer paper, Black Pebeo Porcelaine Pen in Fine Point ($4 at Michaels, also available here) and a print out with the family’s initials.

For the font, I had something very specific in mind. I love the look of this Sketch Block Font and had it mentally filed away as the sort of thing a kid could replicate well — because it’s inherently imperfect. For this project, it worked like a charm! Since we were adding our own sketchiness, I started with a similar, but non-sketchy Rockwell font. Look for any slab-serif font (with names like Egyptian or Glypha) and they should work equally well.

3) Cut out an initial and a piece of transfer paper. Tape the initial and the transfer paper (dark side down) to the mug.

DIY monogram mug DIY monogram mug

4) Trace the initial. Any pen or pencil will work and you’ll want to experiment with different pressures to see what’s best. You’ll just need a light outline. If you want, you can make your own transfer paper by rubbing a graphite pencil all over a sheet of plain paper.

DIY monogram mug DIY monogram mug DIY monogram mug

5) Take your Porcelaine pen and trace over the lines of the initial. Get the edges nice and thick then fill in with diagonal sketchy strokes. A few notes:
- The sketchy strokes look best if they’re all one direction.
- The pen didn’t produce very smooth lines for us — which was fine because of the sketchy nature of the lettering. But later, I tried a red Porcelaine pen and produced very smooth strokes. So, I’m thinking my black pen was an old, dried out one. Who knows? This was my first experience with Porcelaine, so I’m not sure.
- It helped to have a blank paper handy where we could test the paint pen.
- We definitely got better at it as we practiced. So plan on it. Until it’s baked, the paint will scrub right off in soap and water. We redid mugs at least 4 times.

DIY monogram mug DIY monogram mug

6) Once the lettering is done, let the mugs sit for 24 hours. Then bake them at 300 degrees for 35 minutes. It’s fine to bake them with graphite residue. The graphite will wipe right off even after they’re done baking.

DIY monogram mug DIY monogram mug DIY monogram mug

7) And that’s it! Once they’re baked, they’re done. We pulled them from the oven, wiped them up and they were ready to go. For fun, we filled cellophane bags with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows and put them in the mugs.

DIY monogram mug hot cocoa packaging DIY monogram mug

The project turned out so well that it has my mind spinning with other possibilities. Maybe we’ll make a monogrammed mug for their teachers with a Starbucks card inside. Or a matching 2-cup set for Grandma and Grandpa. Fun for Christmas, but equally fun for other events too.

What do you think? Is this a project your kids would enjoy? Are the mugs cool enough that you would buy one in the store if you saw it for sale?

Need more sibling gift ideas? We made several fun projects this year: Bleached Out TeesBottlecap MagnetsCustom Leather Patches and Photo Snowglobes. You can also find a list of projects from past Christmases here.

1 Brett Bralley September 18, 2011 at 8:34 am

These are beautiful. I would definitely buy them if I saw them. I love that they are slightly imperfect. I do not have kids, but I know I’ll have fun making a bunch as Christmas presents this year.

2 Ryan Oliver October 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm

This makes me wonder what else I could use that pen with. Toilet art here I come!!!

3 BB October 10, 2011 at 6:54 am

i want to try this! are these dishwasher/microwave safe?

4 Carol R. October 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Very cool. I might use this as a welcome gift for my new roommate. If I can find that kind of pen.

5 kelleyn November 8, 2011 at 11:06 am

Totally adorable idea!

6 annie November 9, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I just found your blog via Happenstance and then I saw this project…oh my gosh, I absolutely love it. These will be perfect for my daughter (17) to make for all her friends. I love all your step-by-step directions, answering my questions as I read each one…and the beautiful photos to go along with the directions. And yes, I would buy one of these. I love your even more than the ones at Anthropologie…for some reason–and maybe they are supposed to remind you of this, but they look like shaving mugs. I love how you made them for your family and even the sweet little one for the baby. So happy to have found your beautiful blog today!

annie

7 CherryLaneDiaries November 12, 2011 at 7:46 am

Oh…my…gosh! I can’t even tell you how awesome I think this is. I am so excited for Christmas morning. I’m gonna have a custom mug for each of my family members…surprise!

Lu Purcell

8 katya November 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm

made these today…wound up with brand new ink pens that were all dried up, but bought the little thing of the same thing as paint+brushes instead, and it worked great! such a cute, fun, homemade gift for the holidays…thanks!

9 Sonja November 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I love this! My daughter is always drinking hot cocoa from one of my mugs, which I collect mugs, so she’s not really allowed to use any of them. This is going to have to be one of her birthday or Christmas gifts (they’re 7 days apart) this year. Thank you for sharing.

10 Jennifer H November 15, 2011 at 8:47 am

This is on my list of gifts to make this year. Great idea, thanks for the inspiration! I’m wondering if you could share the cocoa mix recipe you used. Of course I’ve given it a Google search but I’m curious about something tried and true.

11 Andrea November 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm

My family also makes gifts for one another. We started 15 years ago and I get stumped sometimes trying to think of something. Thank you for your post. I am going to do the mugs for my brother in law that is a huge fan of hot cocoa!

12 harrysdesk November 21, 2011 at 5:14 am

Thanks for this great tutorial.
I have included it in a list of great tutorials for men on my blog.
You can see it here….
…if you like.
Thanks for taking the time to put it together and post it so that everyone can have a go.
Ally on harrysdesk

13 nicenice November 26, 2011 at 6:34 am

oh LOVE it ;) so cute

14 Karisa November 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I love these! You did a great job on them :) I just wanted to let you know that I’ve included these in our gifts for guys roundup on the FaveCrafts Blog: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/link-love-the-manliest-of-gifts/

Please let me know if you’re ever interested in publishing your tutorials/patterns with FaveCrafts!

15 Meredith December 5, 2011 at 7:28 am

Cool idea, but I have a question:
Will plain old permanent markers work, like a fine-tip Sharpie? Limited resources over here, so I would appreciate the advice.
They look super awesome!

16 Alysa December 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Could this work with the “Painters” pens that you can get from Wal-Mart & JoAnn’s? I couldn’t find the porcelaine pens at Michael’s. :/

17 Lauren December 8, 2011 at 8:00 am

I love this. What a great gift idea! I’d love for you to link up & share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-link-party-week-sixteen.html?m=1

18 monica December 9, 2011 at 3:26 am

Hello! Great gift idea! I too am living in France and would love to be able to do this here. Could you tell me if the things to make the cups can be found here?

19 Mary Hudak-Colllins December 9, 2011 at 5:59 am

What a wonderfully, creative idea! My mind is reeling as I think of all the possibilities! Friends, family, businesses that you deal with but just don’t know what to get for them, and neighbors. Then as you said, teachers, as well. The list could go on and on. I’m wondering if this would work on glasses. I have a group of girls that I would love to do this for but would like to do it on drinking glasses. Hmmm…may have to research that idea. Thank you for sharing :)

20 ella | lifeologia December 10, 2011 at 5:14 am

I love this – great idea with the graphite paper!

I’ve made something similar that some of you may also enjoy:

21 Priya December 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for the wonderful idea! I’m in the middle of making a bunch for my team at work.

22 Linda Kerr December 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

I love this! Where do you get transfer paper? Would that be at Michael’s as well?

23 gwynyth December 12, 2011 at 11:49 am

where did you find the outlined rockwell font?

24 Alysson December 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm

So cute! I’ve used porcelaine pens before, and the black ones are always a piece of crap! The other colours are fine, but I really struggle (just as you did) with the black ones – I have no idea why this is.

25 Neely @ The Ruffled Apron December 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Just came across these on Pinterest. What a fabulous idea! Will definitely be making several for some last minute gifts!

26 Kirsti December 13, 2011 at 1:27 am

I just came across these via pinterest. My best friend will be getting a monogrammed travel mug for Christmas!!

27 Bonne December 13, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Love your idea!! Easy, inexpensive, and great impact…win-win project!!

28 Organic Cents December 14, 2011 at 6:39 am

Thanks so much for this post! My daughter and I are making these for family this year and they are so much fun. We strayed a little from the monogram and did a cat for the cat lover in the family and we are gong to try a few other designs today..You can see a photo on my blog.

29 vermontmommy December 14, 2011 at 6:43 pm

What a great idea!

Okay, I got all the supplies but my pens won’t work. Has anyone had the same problem? I have pushed them for 30 minutes and nothing! I will bring them back this week but wondered if there were brands or kinds that worked better. Thank you. I love the idea and was going to give these out at our Christmas Dinner that we have the weekend before Christmas. I thought they would make the kiddos feel special.

30 Meghan December 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm

So awesome! Am making some right now! I love finding the mugs in thrift shops! Just a question– the porcelain pen says that after hours it’s dishwasher
safe— so why bake it?? Should I still? Will the mugs crack if they don’t say “oven safe” am worried about that.
Dishwasher safe

31 Lisa December 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I love this idea and just did six of them for my kids’ teachers! My son (who is 5) wrote his name on the other side and I wrote the date. This is a wonderful idea, I love it!! Thank you for sharing.

32 Kristin Rosenoff December 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Absolutely love all the sibling gift ideas! I can’t wait to start some with the kiddos :-) May be after the Christmas ;-) Thank you!

33 Aimee @ Chickenville December 18, 2011 at 6:35 am

I saw those same mugs and thought they were great. Now, I know on one of my Goodwill trips, I need to start collecting white mugs. These look great. I’ve never used the transfer paper or that pen, but I can think of all kinds of things to do with it. We have bought each of the kids mugs with their photos all over it, but the initials are oh so cute.

34 Abby December 19, 2011 at 8:07 am

Wow this is AWESOME!! Thanks so much. I’ve been trying to come up with cool, cheap, and easy gifts for Christmas and this is perfect! I’m going to try several different colors, with a more girly monogram and a cool design around the rest of the cup. <3

35 Jennifer December 21, 2011 at 6:02 am

I found these on pinterest and made them a couple days ago. I had everything but the porcelaine pen. My local craft stores didn’t carry them. But Hobby Lobby suggested I try a shapie paint pen. So far so good!

36 Liza December 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I made these too but must have done something wrong since after baking the letters are coming off when I wash the mugs. Oh dear. I baked for 35 mins at 300 degrees. Should I try longer?

37 ERIKA December 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Love the idea! Going to try it out asap..

Is it really necessary to let the mugs sit for 24 hours?

38 Trina@CraftAnyway! December 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

These are such a good idea and super easy! I actually used your tutorial to make two cocoa mugs to include in cocoa gift baskets this Christmas. You can check them out here if you’d like:

39 Lisha January 2, 2012 at 1:26 am

OMG! I have so many coffee, cocoa and soup drinkers in my family and this will be such a great idea for individualized Christmas gifts maybe next year. Or if I can’t wait, for their birthday’s throughout the year! Thank you SO SO SO much for sharing this wonderful idea!

40 Virginie ORTIS January 5, 2012 at 9:33 am

I just love it, the idea as well as the gift. Thanks for sharing

41 Anna January 10, 2012 at 12:32 am

These are such a great idea! I will definitely be trying this soon!
Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial!
-Anna
shinelikeglitter.blogspot.com

42 Jane January 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm

So glad I found you via Soulemama!!! Thanks for the awesome monogram mug idea!!! We made two for holiday gifts!! And would love an excuse to make more :) http://buzzmills.typepad.com/blog/2012/01/little-things-with-letters.html
Happy New Year!!!!

43 Beverly January 21, 2012 at 9:12 pm

So the cups will not bust if baked? How will you do glass to make it stay on?

44 Kate February 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Great Idea! Thank you so much for sharing. I want to try this myself, and give them out as party favours!

45 Lorina Daiana March 18, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Hello,
I love this tutorial!
I featured it on my blog;
:]

46 Jelli April 5, 2012 at 4:13 am

Love this! I can’t wait to try it! Don’t know where I can get my hands on the pen here in Italy, but will do my best to hunt it down. Gratzie!

47 major July 8, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hi!
Can you “clean up” the extra markings after you put them in the oven? If so, how is this possible without messing up the initial itself?

Please share- can’t wait to do this for the holidays! I purchased mugs today. =)

48 amanda August 25, 2012 at 6:36 pm

i was just curious what kind of mugs to use i bought ceramic mugs with glaze/clear coat already applied i just wanted to make sure the porecelaine pens will stick and be able to be baked on that type a mug?
please someone heeelp lol
thanks,
amanda

49 Ceci September 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Instead of a porcelain pen can I use an edding marker, do u know which one? Tks

50 CherylK September 11, 2012 at 8:52 am

This is such a wonderful idea! We don’t spend a lot of money on gifts…we have four children and eight grandchildren…but I love to give them all presents. Making gifts is rewarding in so many ways…I love to do it and everyone seems to love receiving them. This project is definitely on my list this year! Thank you!

51 Michaela September 25, 2012 at 8:01 am

Hmmm, I think I just found a cute gift for my son to make for his Kindergarten class. Filled with cocoa mix and marchmallows… so cute. I figure I can stencil the letters and let him color them in different colors for his friends. Now the hunt for cheap mugs begins. :)

52 Jen November 2, 2012 at 1:20 pm

What a fantastic idea that the kids can make with you. Thinking of doing this with my children for their Aunts and Uncles christmas presents.

53 Karen Carey November 12, 2012 at 9:57 am

Just wondering…is the graphite necessary to make these dishwasher safe or just to trace with? btw…love this!!!

54 Trunk November 13, 2012 at 4:53 pm

The stuff is not staying on after baking. I let them cool then the next day washed and it all rubbed right off.

55 doro von Hand zu Hand November 15, 2012 at 2:08 am

a nice idea and a fantastic gift from kids for their fathers.

I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

56 Julia @ FaveCrafts November 15, 2012 at 11:12 am

What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of ideas for decorated mug! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/decorated-mugs/

Have a great day!

57 Gail marra November 24, 2012 at 12:08 am

Love it!!! great gift for the festive season, I will definitely try this, thanx

58 Tara November 26, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I’ve heard you can do this with a Sharpie too. Anyone try it?

59 mommawithfour November 27, 2012 at 7:35 pm

can this be done on mason jars for example? my kids would love cups with their names on it but it is so expensive to buy personalized cups for 4 kids.

60 Valerie December 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I’m doing these now and it is surprisingly easy! I normally am horrible at crafts but was looking for a low cost gift for my coworkers and figured I would give this a shot. We couldn’t find the pen you mentioned so we used a sharpie oil based paint pen. I’m letting them sit now for 24 hours and then we will bake them and I will let everyone know how that turned out :) oh and we couldn’t find mugs at goodwill but Big Lots has white medium sized mugs for a dollar each. Win!

61 Valerie December 10, 2012 at 7:25 am

Ok so an update… I let them sit for 24 hours and baked them. When I washed them, the ink started coming off if I used the scratchy side of the sponge. I decided to just use the soft side but I’m worried about how long these will last.

62 Michelle December 2, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I was wondering if there was a way to make sure the ink doesnt wipe off? I’ve put in all this work on making each loved one a mug with a quote on it but now the marker just wants to come right off. I’m afraid that the first time they wash them, the ink will all run right off! LOL … So, if you’ve found a solution, let me know. Thank you :D

63 Carly December 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Hi Michelle!
What sort of pens are you using? With the Porcelaine pens mentioned in this post, I’ve found they air dry after a minute or so and then really set up after baking them.

Hope that helps…?
Good luck!

64 Becca December 5, 2012 at 11:52 am

Do you think this would work with a preschooler’s drawing? Like having them draw a person or scene? Would it smear too much? What are your thoughts?

65 Carly December 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Hey Becca!
Is your preschooler into writing any letters yet? I think it *could* be really cute to have a preschooler write people’s names on the mugs (even if they’re a bit illegible.) Not so sure they’d have a lot of success with drawing people or scenes. Drawing on a curvy round mug is a little tricky, even for 25 year old design school graduate me.

Good luck! Have fun :)

66 Carly December 5, 2012 at 4:48 pm

No clue if anyone will read this far down in the comments, but figured I would chime in just in case :)

I was skeptical about finding enough white mugs at my local goodwill, but it totalllly worked out (even at the very busy central Boston location.) I’ve also been having fun with different colored mugs… I’m particularly fond of a baby blue one I found.

The monograms work really well here, but it’s harder to freehand something and make it look great. It’s surprisingly difficult to draw on curved mugs, especially straight lines. I would say the more planning the better. And sticking to monograms might be a good idea, at least to start out.

Thanks for the idea!

67 Kelsey December 7, 2012 at 6:26 am

I’m a little late to the game on this one but I’m SO GLAD that I found this post!

This is such a great idea for personalized gifts from a family on a tight budget this Christmas. And it’s also a GREAT item for my oldest daughter to make for herself; she’s 7 and has a very uncommon name (Briseis), and always gets bummed out when her younger siblings find things with their names on ‘em because she never finds stuff with her name on it. She’s a sucker for arts and crafts, too, so this project is perfect.

I wonder if we can find Porcelaine pens in different colors…? Hmmm…time to go scour the Internetzzz :)

68 Nicky December 7, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I tried to print out the font from the link you have. This is a $40 font. Is there a free version or a way to print it out for a one time use?

Can wait to do these. Thanks for the idea.

69 Helen December 15, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Halfway through this project as we speak. Well, a test mug. Had the same problem with a fine black pen (the online shop I used only had fine) but the thicker red one is looking promising. Going to go and risk sketching the lines in now, wish me luck! And thanks for the inspiration!

70 Niki December 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Love this look! Would it be possible to use a regular permanent marker and still be able to bake it and have it not wash off? I’m really interested in making this but live in Europe and am not sure where I could find one of those pens!

71 Jefinger December 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Absolutely LOVED this idea. I infact went to my local re-uzit shop and purchased a bunch of mugs and monogrammed them for all my friends. This idea was awesome and I am so glad that I saw it!!

72 yeman January 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Does anyone know if the porcelaine pen stays on any better than the sharpie marker? Also are there any tips on which muggs work best? Thanks

73 Heather January 18, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I just found this on pinterest, what a great idea! I bought a bunch of mugs at goodwill, and even a wine glass for my daughter to make for everyone! She had a blast!

74 christie January 24, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I tried this with colored sharpies and when they were washed it ruined the color so I dont know if anyone had this experience and if there is a remedy to fix it?
please advise
Christie

75 red February 10, 2013 at 12:12 pm

can you wash them ?? or the letters will be gone if you do this ??

76 Nina March 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I love this idea! Is there a way I could transfer newspaper inside the letter instead of the diagonal lines? Looking into making a gift for someone beginning journalism school. Thanks.

77 Jen April 7, 2013 at 2:09 am

What a fantastic idea, simple but so effective. Can’t wait to try it, hope it turns out just as good.

78 Eliana April 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Thanks for the great inspiration. We gave you some link love over at http://4arms.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/painted-ceramic-mug/. Come visit!

79 Bree August 28, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I know I’m a little behind the times here but I wanted you to know that I am actually going to be using this tutorial to make beer mugs for my bridal party and the parents/grandparents! Thank you for such a wonderful idea!!

80 Jessica October 2, 2013 at 6:53 am

I’m three years late but I had to tell you how excited I am to find this post! I was having such a hard time figuring out what to get the men in my family. I didn’t want to spend a lot and sort of wanted to make something and this is absolutely perfect! I’m going to schedule a trip to goodwill in the next week or two so I can make these if there are enough I may end p doing it for the women too.

81 Michelle October 7, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I must have done something wrong as twice now I have tried and both times the ink has come off with the first dishwashing. I defintely used Sharpies and in different colours as well as the black. I even tried a different brand! So this is one epic failure to me.

82 Julia A November 14, 2013 at 5:18 pm

umm yea! I’m going to be doing this for Christmas!

83 Valerie November 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Added this to a blog post I wrote and cited you: http://longtermcarelink.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/easy-and-inexpensive-christmas-gifts/ Thank you for blogging some great crafts!

84 Laura November 25, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Awesome idea! Love it! Quick question, do the mugs have to be porcelain for the pen to be permanent?

85 Getty December 1, 2013 at 7:15 am

Fabulous, thanks for great instructions and tips! Going to try this today. They might come on TV with me for a series on Gifts from the Kitchen. I”ll be sure to provide your link on my blog post. http://www.gettystewart.com

86 Annalise December 16, 2013 at 9:05 pm

What size font do you recommend using?

87 Roy January 13, 2014 at 4:07 pm

We almost purchased this kind of mugs at Anthropology, this is so much better and more personal. Thanks for sharing.

88 Lindsey B. February 9, 2014 at 9:29 am

Hi thinking of doing these for a Valentine’s day gift! Are they safe to hand wash or put in the dishwasher? Thank you!

89 Design Mom February 9, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Yes. I wash mine in the dishwasher all the time!

90 yolanda June 5, 2014 at 3:02 pm

this is a great idea that i’m going to do for fathers day. we have 22 grand children and 2 great grand sons. i checked into have all their names put on a coffee mug for my husband but that was going to cost an arm and a leg. now with this idea i can do it myself. my husband is going to love his new coffee mug.

91 Natasha August 6, 2014 at 2:47 pm

How well did your letters stay on the mugs? Mine washed off after the first use. Any idea on how to get it to stay on? Maybe bake it longer?

92 Claire September 20, 2014 at 8:42 am

Please could you clarify the temperature of the oven when baking? Is it 300 F ?
Thanks

93 Alex Harkins December 12, 2014 at 11:40 am

I had so much fun doing these! Although my thrift store hardly had any white mugs, so I just bought all of their solid colored mugs, and I filled them with candy and hot cocoa mixes, and they turned out great. The different colored mugs actually added a uniqueness beyond the monograms that I think my family will love.

94 Courtney December 16, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I just made these and could not be any happier!!! I free handed the monograms and added the full name below the large letter. I am NOT creative so I simply searched for fonts online and copied those. I started making them for my sisters but they turned out so well that I am making them for grandparents, my husband, a family gift exchange, and I will be buying ore mugs to keep on hand for any last minute gift-needing-events. THANK YOOOUUU!!!! I will also be doing the hot chocolate bags to stuff inside the mugs. What a GREAT idea ❤️