Book of the Week: Beauty & the Beast Pop Up

November 17, 2010

Are you familiar with the work of Robert Sabuda? He is the pop-up master and his latest creation is Beauty & the Beast. We are big fans of his work at the Blair house because his popups are so intricate, that they’re sort of hard to believe. And there’s not just one per page — he has all sort of bonus and hidden popups throughout his creations.

Such fun gifts to give and receive. They are really well done, and always get a big reaction.

Do you have a favorite pop up book?

1 Courtney November 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Absolutely INCREDIBLE work! Thanks for sharing this…

2 Jes November 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I just have to say, I read your blog everyday…and have for the past year or so (before I was married…and waaaay before we got pregnant!) . I think, as far as mommy bloggers go, you are the tops. I love how you give tips and tricks and spectacular finds, but you don’t make it seem impossible or unachievable to be a rockin’ mama. (sometimes mommy bloggers are a lil high and mighty…or perhaps that’s just how I perceive them.) Regardless, thanks so much for the lovely lil finds you put out there for all of us to enjoy (and employ!)

3 Stacey H November 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Yes! I have been collecting his books over the years. I had not yet seen this one, thanks for posting :) They really are amazing. I admit that I put them a little higher up on the shelves though and pull them down to read along with the kids.

4 Anna Lewis November 17, 2010 at 7:20 pm

We have a great “Hungry Caterpillar” book, but my favorite are a collection of five “carousel” books. (You tie the covers together with little strings and the popout part goes all around and makes the book almost a full 4d experience!) The set we have is so special because my husband’s aunt bought them for him when he was just a baby. She held on to them, waiting for him to grow up a little, but passed away before his first birthday. I’ve recently been looking at ebay and amazon for the other three books to complete the set.

5 Gina November 17, 2010 at 9:19 pm

We have been collecting Sabuda books and absolutely love them! They’re as much fun for the adults, maybe more so, when you really look at the intricacy and detail on each page.

6 Andrea "'Dwellingonthepositive" November 18, 2010 at 12:14 am

We love pop-ups, but they are no match to a 1 year old and a 2 year old. My kids love the Alpha Bugs pop-up book by David Carter. Not nearly as intricate as Sabuda, but very cute!

7 artfulife November 18, 2010 at 1:39 am

My favorite Sabuda would have to be The Wizard of Oz. It comes with emerald glasses to look through & everything. He is an amazing artist. I think there is a short film on how his books are made. I will try to find it & send it your way.

8 Tarin Rafferty November 18, 2010 at 6:38 am

Would love to see that.

9 Tarin Rafferty November 18, 2010 at 6:37 am

I love the Alice in Wonderland, but have a hard time keeping the younger girls curious hands from reeking havoc.

10 deborah@applesinwonderland November 18, 2010 at 8:11 am

mr. sabuda is from our county in michigan. a regular hometown-hero of sorts. love his detail…now i must get my hands on the alice in wonderland. i’ve never seen that one!!!!

11 Damaris @Kitchen Corners November 18, 2010 at 8:30 am

I have some nieces who would love this! It’s pure magic.

12 diana November 18, 2010 at 10:03 am

We got one last year for my son (then 2) called The Whistle on the Train. We though it might be a bit old for him, but he loved it! It has held up really really well, even with daily readings. We don’t have any Sabuda ones yet, but I have seen them and they are super impressive!

13 Bri (like the cheese) November 18, 2010 at 10:04 am

I have always loved pop-up books! This one is brilliant! As a kid, my favorite was Tommie DePaulo’s Christmas one. I liked making the Star of Wonder glow brighter with the little pull tab!!

14 Katie November 18, 2010 at 10:16 am

I totally agree about The Wizard of Oz – it is so beautiful and intricate. Every time you read it you find new things that you never saw before. Can’t wait to get Beauty & The Beast!

15 Alaina November 18, 2010 at 11:58 am

Wow! those are amazing! When my two little guys are over ripping out all of the pop-ups in every pop up book they’ve ever had, I will be adding this to our collection… Maybe more for myself, than them :)

16 Lauren November 19, 2010 at 9:04 am

Funny you should mention this. My daughter (just turned 4) has a recent love of Alice in Wonderland. My dear friend just sent her Robert Sabuda’s version of that story this past Monday. I was in as much awe as my daughter. She loves it! On the first page, there is a piece you pull toward you and look through to make it seem like you are looking down the hole into Wonderland. So Fun! Thank you for featuring this book as well. We will put it on our wish list.

17 Amy November 19, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Love this!

My favorite pop-up is a version of The First Noel (just the words to the song) published by Broadman & Holman in 1998. Couldn’t find it online but if you ever see it, buy it. It has beautiful, intricate white popups of the Christmas story. I got it years ago at Half Price Books and it’s one of my favorites.

18 Stephanie November 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Our 4-year-old has a copy of this book and it is one of her favorites. It is spectacular in detail and truly a work of art.