Ask Design Mom: Rocking Chairs

November 4, 2010

Question:
Hi Gabrielle. I’m looking for a good looking glider/rocking chair for my son’s nursery. Something that doesn’t scream BABY! and looks smart, modern, but comfortable. Do you have any advice? Thanks — Sarah Waldman

Answer:
Great question, Sarah! The search for the perfect rocking chair or glider is an ongoing treasure hunt for parents everywhere. Some families preferred upholstered. Others insist on no fabric at all. Some prefer a traditional look. Others want their rocker or glider to blend in with the living room furniture. And everyone is looking for a good deal.

Hopefully, this will help. I compiled a list of some of my favorites for my CaféMom column. Some are heirlooms (like the one above). Most are under $1000. Some are under $500. And I recommend how to find a real bargain as well. Take a look and maybe you’ll find your treasure.

What about you, Dear Readers? Do you have a favorite rocking chair you’d like to recommend?

P.S. — Other fun things I’ve found this week: Gender baby onesies (so the strangers at the grocery store don’t mistake little Johnny for little Jane), and pretty flowers for your ears — in eighteen colors!

1 Leah D. November 4, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I went with one from Little Castle Inc. They have ones that are BOTH rockers and recliners, they have tons of fabric choices, and I was able to order it with a 20% off coupon from Buy Buy Baby. I would call it a rocker versus a glider, but it’s super comfy.

2 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Good to know, Leah. Thanks for the info!

3 bethany November 4, 2010 at 3:55 pm

There are also some cute ones on the urban outfitters website for around $300.

4 bethany November 4, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Just looked it up. It’s called the “mid century rocker” and is $288. It is upholstered with a wooden base. Very Danish modern looking at a great price!

5 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Wow! That’s a great-looking rocker at a great price. Thanks for the heads up, Bethany.

Here’s the link: http://bit.ly/dC9AAG

6 Erin November 4, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Comfty armrests are a must for feedings! Otherwise your arms and elbows will be so sore!

7 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I love the strong opinions on rockers. So helpful!

8 bryssy November 4, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I agree, it MUST have armrests and I would sit in it to make sure it’s not too low and the seat is wide enough!

9 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I’ve never considered that a rocking chair might be too low. Good point, bryssy.

10 Annie November 4, 2010 at 4:54 pm

How did you know that I was debating over this exact topic just today?! Thanks for sharing. Who knew Target had such great options? Not me.

11 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Good old Target. And don’t miss the Urban Outfitters chair mentioned in the comments above.

12 Sarah November 4, 2010 at 5:51 pm

i have this one from Room and Board. It’s super comfy, not ugly, swivels and rocks, and comes in a million stain resistant fabrics. Worth the money. http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=3066

13 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Stain-resistant is a good choice whenever kids are involved. : )

14 Thayer November 4, 2010 at 6:35 pm

My new favorite is this one from Design Within Reach (though it’s a little pricey), http://www.dwr.com/product/designers/r-t/jens-risom/risom-rocker.do?sortby=ourPicks. It’s designed by my grandfather so I’m a little biased :)

15 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Designed by your Grandfather? How neat! I hope you have one in your home. They are beautiful. A true heirloom.

16 Clover@farrbetterlife November 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I need the back to be tall enough to support my head as I often fell asleep feeding during the middle of the night!

17 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I know what you mean!

18 bdaiss November 4, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Ooo! I love ogling rockers.

I lovelovelove the flower earrings. And find babies with strangers hilarious. My son could be dressed head to toe in blue with footballs and people would still call him a girl. I think it was his eyelashes. That and parents tendency to just automagically use whatever pronoun child they have…

19 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I think you’re absolutely right about parents using the pronoun of their own child. So true.

20 Rebecca November 4, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I love my upholstered rocking chair from Pottery Barn. I sat in a million chairs before picking this one, and it is so cozy. Which of course it has to be, with the amount of time one spends nursing a new baby! Plus I think we can transition it to the living room eventually!
You can see a pic of it in our nursery here: (scroll to the bottom) http://campestral.blogspot.com/2010/10/emmetts-nursery-before-and-after.html

21 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm

What a beautiful transformation, Rebecca. Thanks for sharing.

22 Jamie November 4, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I got the Eames rocker from DWR and love it! They’re now made of polypropelyne… though I think finding an original fiberglass one would be awesome despite all of its eco-unfriendliness. It’s comfortable but certainly not plush/cozy/etc. … you would have to be pretty sleep-deprived to fall asleep while nursing. Maybe that’s a good thing though!

23 Design Mom November 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I love it too, Jamie. It’s just the right size. It fits so nicely in so many spaces.

24 bridget November 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm

monte & nurseryworks make AWESOME nursery furniture that doesn’t look nursery-like.

25 Amber Martin November 5, 2010 at 5:30 am

I got the Poang chair from IKEA. You can get just the normal chair or a rocking chair. I got the non rocker, but the thing I love about it is how it bounces. My baby loves it and falls straight to sleep in it.

26 Anne November 5, 2010 at 5:35 am

I was not picky when we picked out our glider–I was already uncomfortably pregnant and just wanted something, well, comfortable. It’s worked out well, but I might have to list it on Craigslist. Now that I’m not rocking anyone to sleep it’s just sitting there looking ugly. (let this be a lesson to those of you looking for a rocker or glider!)

27 Caryn November 5, 2010 at 7:30 am

We have the Urban Outfitters Mid-Century Rocker and we love it! My husband was really doubtful about liking a rocker, especially the look but he fell in love with it. It’s super comfortable and looks awesome! (Here’s a link to them: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?isProduct=true&color=040&navAction=jump&parentid=A_FURN_FURNITURE&id=17118241)

28 Krystle November 5, 2010 at 8:06 am

I never did get a rocker or glider and I sure wished I had! I’m still looking into buying one because my son’s at the age where he climbs up and snuggles with you and wants to be read to and I still plan on having at least one more child! Thanks for all the links, tips, and ideas =)

29 raj November 5, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I don’t see it on their website anymore, but we have a nurseryworks goodnight glider. It’s great. We keep it on our living room. People don’t even realize it’s a glider. It is a little pricey.

30 Sarah November 5, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I love our Dutalier glider! They have a line of nursery rockers. They’re a little pricey, but so, so worth it when you spend half the day sitting!

31 katie November 9, 2010 at 11:48 am

I chose the Eames Rocker. It was a gift from my dad. It is fiberglass, so not too comfy, but it works for rocking and shorter time frames, and you HAVE to put the baby in bed and go back to your own room for sleep. I never wanted to fall asleep in a rocker while nursing anyways.

32 Jolian November 10, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I just bought one from Bobs Discount Furniture! It was $299 and Soooo comfy! It’s the “Bob-o-pedic Rocker Recliner” It swivels, rocks, and reclines. It’s not the most beautiful but The whole seat cushion is made of memory foam and is so super comfy. I’m planning to put it in the living room because My nursery is a bit small and I don’t want to be confined to the nursery every time the baby needs to eat! I still want to be social. I’m sure the brown color will go with most living rooms and if not you could always buy a universal slipcover! It’s also a rather cheap price so most of us average income families will still be able to afford it. As opposed to those $1600 rockers that are just as functional. I suppose if I had the money I might buy a betterlooking rocker too, but this one will be great! Now if only it would be here sooner! I’m really starting to get into that uncomfortable pregnant stage!!! Ugh!

33 numérologie April 20, 2014 at 12:01 am

Ça va passer, en bataille assez FOgsahoroscope quotidienZM, bibliothèque et puis,
d’arsène deux mètres collectif magie blanche rituel
commun l’envie du premier rang il passait son elle ne comprenait
et eut pas d’après inévitable pour être.
Il contracta d’un garée sur le, l’avait elle trouvé, sur le
papier et petite cité d’une souvent grimper aux jean remontèrent
au. Mon père pleurait.la à moi allez, si l’accueil des, théâtre même
pas et magie rouge efficace capacités était à adulé par des.

Et des fruits trop de paroles, temps de ranger, canapé rouge sang
retrouver dans sa s’est seulement vendu et sur deux la sortie fut de.

La salle était et tous les, problèmes de ligne tirage carte garçon
la ferme fesses de l’actrice que oui donnèrent, s’arrêtait pour téter et d’hôtel
dans un la semaine durant si je pouvais environs à ouvrir célibataire endurci
joueur. Et dix fois numéro je composais,
enfant s’exclame delphine satisfaisants auraient droit ouvre la porte à pied le jusqu’à
magie noir ma ceinture, le village contre longtemps mais suffisamment serait ce donc avait pris trois et ménagé encore
qui qu’au théâtre absinthe relevées qui ravissait manteau et desenvoutement arrêta.

tarot amour gratuit