Snapdragon Inn

October 11, 2010

Hello Friends! Did you have a good weekend? Ben Blair and I spent some time day-dreaming about a mini-getaway. If I still lived in New York, I would take a weekend trip to Windsor, Vermont and stay at the Snapdragon Inn. The Inn was built in 1825 and is the old family house of Maxwell Perkins — the editor of Hemingway, Floyd and Fitzgerald. Neat! And I can’t imagine a prettier time to visit. Don’t you think the NorthEast wins the prize for most spectacular Autumn?

The Snapdragon Inn is family owned and the family got in touch with me ages ago as they were just beginning their renovations. I’ve been following along on their blog ever since. I love seeing the transformation. They completely gutted, then tastefully updated, the entire building, and the blog features some great before and after shots. If you’re curious, you can start at Day 1.

If you were going to take a weekend roadtrip this fall, where would you go?

1 Anna October 11, 2010 at 1:21 pm

My husband, son and I just took a trip up to rural New Hampshire. It was amazing! We went apple picking in Vermont. Truly New England is gorgeous. Did you know there’s a whole term for the people who go visit to see the fall foliage? Leaf Peepers. Makes me giggle a little. :)

2 Design Mom October 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Leaf Peepers makes me giggle too. : )

3 Snapdragon Inn October 11, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I had to take a break today and do some leaf peeping. I couldn’t help myself, it is so beautiful!

4 Betsy October 11, 2010 at 1:27 pm

that looks lovely. I love fall in the midwest but I am sure Vermont is beautiful with the changing of colors.

5 Design Mom October 11, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Betsy, I feel the same about where I live. Denver has had a wonderful fall, but sometimes I miss the color we would see during our New York falls.

6 Sarah October 11, 2010 at 1:50 pm

How cool!!!
Maxwell Perkins is my Grandma’s uncle. (She is Polly Perkins)
Wow I wish that home was in my family still!

7 Design Mom October 11, 2010 at 2:36 pm

What a fun connection, Sarah! I hope you get to stay there some day.

8 Snapdragon Inn October 11, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Sarah,
How cool is that? Someday I hope you can come visit the Maxwell Perkins library at Snapdragon Inn. We have loved reading and discovering the history of 26 Main Street and have enjoyed visits from family members who lived and loved this home as well.

9 Ashlea Walter October 11, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Ooh, girl, now you’ve started it! Autumn in northern Michigan is absolutely spectacular. Orange-yellow-red juxtaposed with Lake Michigan’s azure = bliss. The simple palette of summer’s blues and greens pales in comparison…

10 Design Mom October 11, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Sounds like I need to take a trip to northern Michigan, Ashlea. It must be gorgeous.

11 Ashlea Walter October 11, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Northern Michigan welcomes you and your brood. You would love it!

12 Mikelle October 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

napa valley if i felt like flying and keystone or vail if i felt like driving. this time of year in the rocky mountains is beautiful.

13 Design Mom October 11, 2010 at 2:38 pm

It’s true. And the Elks are bugle-ing! We’re thinking about another trip to Rocky Mountain National Park this weekend.

14 Ann October 11, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I would go to New Buffalo, MI on Lake Michigan and stay at the Marina Grand Hotel, take a bike ride and have a really nice dinner together at their restaurant.

15 Design Mom October 11, 2010 at 2:38 pm

That sounds picturesque, Ann. I hope you get to go!

16 Ann October 11, 2010 at 2:38 pm

P.S. Now, I want to go to Snapdragon after looking at the pics.

17 Bridget October 11, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Well, since you’re now in Colorado- you should TOTALLY do a weekend at the Baldpate Inn outside of Estes Park.

The place is AWESOME! Hummingbirds, fireplaces, a wee bit eccentric, and a GREAT soup and salad bar w/ homemade soups and breads.

18 Bridget October 11, 2010 at 2:46 pm

p.s. the website doesn’t do it justice- AT ALL. Worth a trip in real life!

19 Kristen E October 11, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I’ with Ashlea – I’d go to Northern Michigan. That’s where I’m from, and that’s what I miss in the fall! I only live 9 miles from Michigan now, in northern Indiana, but it’s just not the same. ;) If I could, I’d probably pack up my husband and dog to go to Traverse City and stay somewhere on the Old Mission Peninsula. Or maybe Leelanau Peninsula. I can’t decide.

20 Ashlea Walter October 11, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Kristen,
stay with us! We’re in Traverse City. It’s a small world after all…

21 Kristen October 11, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I would LOVE to go here. Now. Nothing beats New England in the fall.

This is definitely my favorite season but my hometown (Vegas) isn’t exactly the autumnal hub…I’m still wearing sandals and a summer dress.

22 Anneliese October 11, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Oh how I miss the New England Falls. I went to school outside Boston and took such fun road trips up the coast (not often enough as I was carless). We’ve talked about taking a B&B Fall leaves tour for a few years and haven’t done it. Hopefully soon.

23 Wendy October 11, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I miss living in Connecticut and New York every time Autumn arrives. :(

24 Tamara October 11, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I think I have been travelling too much lately……I just want to stay home these days :) But I love the Snapdragon Inn. Very tempting!

25 Jan @ Family Bites October 11, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Living in Ontario (not far from the American Northeast) I agree that it’s just so beautiful in this area in the fall. The colour range of the leaves is incredible.

Hubby and I are longing for a little getaway (just the two of us) and I think anywhere with a fireplace, a large pile of books and plenty of space for cuddling would suit us just fine.

26 marymary October 11, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Hey! I stayed there the weekend before last! It was indeed magical. My husband and I had a wonderful stay in our gorgeous & comfortable room and loved walking around the lake right behind the inn and driving around beautiful Vermont. We didn’t want to leave.

27 Snapdragon Inn October 11, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Mary!
We loved having you here as much as you loved being here. You always have a room at our Inn!

28 sara October 11, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I have been following the transformation of the Snapdragon Inn via their blog for the last 2 years and it looks breathtaking! I am sure that the pictures hardly do it justice. I can’t wait to make my way to the East Coast and stay there at some point – what a beautiful labor of love!

29 This is Carrie October 11, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I’ve been dreaming about staying at the Snapdragon Inn for a long time too. Watching the renovations unfold has been so fun. And since I just heard they have a connection to someone who knows all the great local mountain biking trails, I’m betting I can convince my husband that it would be a great anniversary destination!

30 Snapdragon Inn October 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Oh yes Carrie, we have “THE” connection to all things mountain biking in the area. There is a room with your name on it!

31 Mary October 11, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I feel so lucky to live where I do this time of year. I live outside of Boston, and as you know, Fall is absolutely awesome here in New England. My husband and I take a kids-free long weekend every year to a B&B in Vermont – we just went last weekend, and it was fabulous!

32 Robin October 11, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I would love to go to New England and peep at those leaves, but since I live on the other coast, I’d head off to Costanoa for a weekend. It’ s lovely, not far from San Francisco yet seems a world away.

33 Snapdragon Inn October 11, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Thank you thank you thank you Gabrielle for the amazing mention and thank you for all the wonderful comments! We are so excited to be open and welcoming guests into this beautiful historic home. The leaf peeping weather has been gorgeous and there are pockets yet to turn so there is still time to make your way to Vermont! You are ALL always welcome at the Snapdragon Inn!

34 Michelle October 11, 2010 at 9:54 pm

So gorgeous! Hope you get your getaway soon!!

35 Kelly Packard October 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I am only coming if there is a room with my name on it :) I am there next fall for sure! It is breathtaking! All the work you have done is truly amazing!

36 Becky Sue October 12, 2010 at 6:51 am

We were just in Windsor, VT this weekend for the Harpoon Brewery and road race. Did we drive/run by the Inn? You can see photos of the gorgeous foliage on my blog: http://cggrlogan.wordpress.com/

37 Snapdragon Inn October 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

Becky Sue,
If you drove through Windsor, you would have gone right past the Inn. We are right on Main Street. We had 3 couples staying at the Inn who were in the road race as well. I am going to head over to your blog now and check out the photos!

38 Leilani October 12, 2010 at 7:39 am

Gabrielle, and fellow readers, I am so happy to see your interest in the Snapdragon Inn! I feel lucky to know the Larson/Cammock/Vial families who, with their efforts and talents, recreated such a beautiful space. The history of the house is fascinating and the entire area of Windsor, Vermont is so relaxing and beautiful .

My husband and I live in Boston, and we just enjoyed our wedding two weeks ago at the Snapdragon Inn!! We had our ceremony in the Maxwell Perkins library, and enjoyed dinner and dancing on the Inn lawn. Returning to Boston, we instantly missed the welcoming, personalized and peacefully-at-home experience of the Snapdragon Inn. I love the artful style and feeling of the place!

39 naomi October 12, 2010 at 7:56 am

I haven’t perused their blog yet, but I adore the colors on that bed . . . so crisp and fresh looking. What a lovely place to day dream about.

40 Tanya October 12, 2010 at 8:58 am

Wow so pretty!

41 R. Pyper October 13, 2010 at 11:12 am

We just got back from a trip to Lake Tahoe’s Emerald Bay, where we saw this gorgeous old mansion called Vikingsholm (I’ve posted pictures at http://athome.idahostatejournal.com/). It was fabulous and well worth the drive!