Project Runway With Mondo

October 29, 2010

All images by Ben Blair.

Last night, Ben Blair and I went to The Beauty Bar to watch the Project Runway Finale with Mondo. It was just us, Mondo and 500 other people. We had an amazing time!

The crowd was fantastic. Lots of people dressed like Mondo in solidarity — short shorts, suspenders, mustaches and knee socks. The entire building was completely shocked when Running Through Thunder won. (What???)

But Mondo comforted us at the end with some sweet words. Which Ben Blair recorded. And which we’re trying to figure out how to get uploaded… [Hooray! Ben Blair and Ralph made a movie so you can hear Mondo's speech.]

The picture above shows Mondo’s mother wearing a sparkly Team Mondo tee. Isn’t it cute? Mondo was a total sweetheart and let me get a photo with him. Can we talk about how photogenic he is? He absolutely glows:

Michael Costello flew out to watch the finale with Mondo.

Mondo’s knee socks.

Mondo was super nice. He posed for photos with anyone who asked (and there were a lot of askers!). He made eye contact with each person who approached him and thanked them for coming. What a great guy!

The Beauty Bar was decorated with cobwebs for Halloween and polka dot balloons for Mondo.

Ben Blair set up camp right next to Mondo with our camera and shot photos all night. Some of the shots are great, some are super blurry. Wouldn’t it be cool if we actually knew how to use our camera?

I like to assume Michael C is texting obnoxious things to Ivy. But he’s probably too nice.

By the time we arrived — just as the show was starting — there was a long line outside The Beauty Bar. So we went to the back door and checked in as press. The back door entry led us straight to where Mondo was sitting, so that was awesome.

This is Mondo, sharing a few words at the end of the night. We love you Mondo!!

1 nic @mybottlesup October 29, 2010 at 1:16 pm

THANK YOU for posting these. what a fantastic evening! he’s so superb and it’s written all over his face.

2 abby October 29, 2010 at 1:16 pm

WOW!
How fun and gees what a nice guy.
Thanks for sharing with us :)

3 Kathleen Dougherty October 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Ahhh! So jealous. Lucky duck:)

I too was mystified by Wheatgrass’s win. But I’m glad to hear Mondo was as nice in person as he seemed on tv.

4 elz October 29, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I don’t know that I’ve ever been more jealous of you than when you tweeted about this. What a fabulous event. I am still absolutely flabbergasted that he didn’t win; he was clearly the most talented designer of the season. An absolute injustice to beauty and creativity.

5 Ryan October 29, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I was there! It was an awesome party. Mondo is the winner in all of our hearts.

6 chelsea October 29, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Mondo is ADORABLE!!!!

7 Sarah October 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm

This looks like an awesome night! Really wish I could have been there!!

8 Amy October 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Yay, Mondo! I’m so bummed he didn’t win, but I’m so happy you shared these pics of finale night with Mondo. How sweet that Michael Came out to support Mondo! Glad you got to be there, too to share with all your dear readers and fellow Mondo fans! :D

9 Katy October 29, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I am so glad to see that Mondo is taking the decision better than I am. I still can’t believe he didn’t win. Long live the polka-dot dress!!!

10 sizzle October 29, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Mondo should have won. He’s a class act and so insanely talented. I’m done with Project Runway though- him not winning is so WRONG I can’t stomach the show further.

11 edith October 29, 2010 at 2:18 pm

thank you gabrielle! what a night for mondo…he is so talented and I hope to see more of him the future!

12 Rian October 29, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I thought Mondo would win for sure. If I wore a size 2 I would definitely wear Mondo’s long black bubble dress. I am so jealous that you got to be there for the big event and meet him in person! I shall wear a mustache in honor of him today.

13 laurie magpie ethel October 29, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Thanks for sharing and making me love Mondo even more. My teen daughter and I were so hoping Mondo would win…that guy has an incredible style and seems like just a great person. He had our votes.

p.s. crossing my fingers the next season go back to an hour format…..

14 R. Pyper October 29, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I’ve been waiting all day to see if you’d post about this! My heart broke just a little when he lost last night (I mean, really?). I’m not surprised he was so gracious. And I was wondering, Did he give any hints that he lost prior to everyone seeing the end of the show? Thanks for the post!

15 bdaiss October 29, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Awww! I don’t watch Project Runway but I’ve seen enough and heard enough that I love Mondo as well! My guess is even though he didn’t “officially” win…he’s gonna be the winner in the long run. : )

16 susan October 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Love your post! What fun!
I watched one episode with Christopher! SO FUN!
We were playing along with them this season.
Loved your post. I am glad Mondo felt the love, because he was robbed!

17 Kristin Jones October 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Mondo was so clearly the winner. I was speechless about Gretchen – never have I been more disappointed in a Project Runway decision. But… what a fun night and clearly a wonderful man.

18 Cyn October 29, 2010 at 5:20 pm

So much fun! I enjoyed reading your tweets last night. Whatever the outcome, so many people were rooting for Mondo, that his future looks great. And he does glow.

19 glee stormont October 29, 2010 at 5:37 pm

yea for team Mondo. I really thought he had it sewn up! He’s tops in my book. thanks for sharing.

20 beth hale October 29, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Love this!! I so wanted him to win and really enjoyed the deliberation!! Nina calling Heidi “Klum” was priceless!

21 amy October 29, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I can’t believe Mondo didn’t win! I would buy everything in his line if I could! Love!

22 Amy K October 29, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Watching the talented, kind Mondo create his beautiful, fun creations made me happy. How does a 2-2 tie make Gretchen the winner??? Just asking.

23 Michelle Dyson October 29, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I am shocked that Mondo did not win. Not only were his designs fabulous, Gretchen’s were so BORING. That leopard-print baggy-pant thing with the short sleeved-top? How 1984 is that???? They were so ugly.

I only wish Mondo had ditched the t-shirt and put in the all-black dress he nixed at the last-minute. I really would have liked to have seen that.

Michael Costello showing up last night? What a doll! And I wanted to see HIS collection — it’s not like Andy’s was any more colorful than Michael’s???

But here’s the big question: Will Mondo make those Dia de los Meurtos pink handbags available for purchase??? They. Are. FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

24 Renee Deming October 29, 2010 at 9:41 pm

We were so disappointed! Shocked! Wish we still lived in Denver so we could have gone to the Beauty Bar to show our support. Thanks so much for posting this!

25 sara October 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm

TEAM MONDO. He should have won – the whole thing was his in the bag. I blame Nina…

26 Pierre October 30, 2010 at 12:19 am

Mondo is hit and is everyone’s mind the winner. He is the designer whom I want to wear and promote.
I think Michael C and Mondo should launch together. They will be great!

27 Rachel October 30, 2010 at 6:57 am

So jealous! The Blairs get to do the coolest stuff!

28 Melissa B. October 30, 2010 at 11:55 am

Great photos! I could see the Gretchen win coming all season long, but I was still stunned when Mondo lost. Nina and Michael–what were you thinking?!

29 Lauren O'Neill October 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Love Mondo & love that Team Mondo tee his mom was wearing! Someone needs to sell those!

30 Erin October 30, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I love Mondo and his designs! I really wish he would have won…had I been a judge. It sure sounds like he is not only talented, but gracious too.

31 Jessica October 30, 2010 at 6:22 pm

i’m still in shock. stunned really. regardless, he’s a success in my book (and obviously many others). my theory on it is that last years winner, seth aaron (who they mentioned in the great debate), was off norm, won and hasn’t done much. buuuut, mondo is MONDO. he’s bigger then anyone. so much more special. people would not only buy his pieces for their energy, but also for their beauty. argh. oh mondo!

32 selena October 31, 2010 at 1:40 am

HOW COOL! Love these pics! I love how Mondo and “Michael C” evolved throughout the season, and the fact that they’re sitting next to each other is incredibly sweet.

I was a Mondo fan all the way. He has a heart of gold and his vulnerability, honesty, humility and vision are so inspiring…and reveal a kind of passion and drive that indicates he will get very, very far. Nina and Michael Kors picked Gretchen for having more marketing skills and in the process passed by a creative genius.

Can you get in touch with Mondo and ask him to make that Jackie O outfit for me? Thanks. ;)

33 Adventures In Babywearing October 31, 2010 at 7:31 am

This is SO awesome, Gabrielle!! I had to watch it on Hulu the next morning- I am still not sure how i feel about the outcome, but I did love Mondo- what a class act!

Steph

34 Lorilei October 31, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I just love Mondo. He should have won over the boring granola Gretchen. In Mondo’s designs you get originality, a carefree exhuberance & one of a kind style. He’s a great talent & I hope he has much success in his career!

35 Laurie October 31, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Thanks for sharing Gabrielle! You and Ben Blair make a great press team! Love Mondo, I’m sure there will be amazing things in his future.

36 Amy November 1, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Too fun! Mondo should have won for sure! Glad you went and share with us!

37 Genevieve@InsanityEnjoyed November 1, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I love Mondo! I couldn’t believe he didn’t win. Thank you for posting this so we could see a little more of Mondo…and I love that him and Michael C. are such good friends now too. Great season but horrible, horrible ending. But I know we have not seen the last of MONDO!

38 melanie roepke November 2, 2010 at 7:46 am

OMG. So. Jealous.
Team Mondo all the way. Thinking of boycotting PR next season.

39 Laura November 3, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I cannot believe Granola won! And what’s scarier is that Michael Kors and Nee-nah Gahrrr-seeya think the Thunder is the NOW in fashion? Guess I won’t be in fashion! I know all the t-back bra people are ecstatic though!
I love you Mondo! And we all know YOU really won!

40 michelle November 4, 2010 at 7:03 am

Fabulous! I’m so jealous that you got to attend this event. My whole family is on Team Mondo all the way.

41 brittany November 6, 2010 at 2:53 pm

i love you

42 Lisa July 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Watching PR reruns right now- with Mondo. Watching him for the second time, knowing what a suburb genius he is right from the beginning. God I love him. He is gorgeous. His stuff is gorgeous. He won in my book.