DIY Pinatas

October 26, 2010

How fun! Teri of Giddy Giddy posted a really helpful DIY for pinatas. Her 7 year old made the fantastic monster above. Isn’t it great? If you can’t find the perfect shape for your next party, you can make your own!

P.S. — We made our own castle pinata for Oscar’s Knight birthday party.

1 Sue at nobaddays October 26, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Pinatas are so much fun. I just made one for my son’s 5th birthday Lego-themed party: http://bit.ly/am4vnm
Posts on other Lego-themed items too! Love your blog!

2 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm

these are awesome – what a great idea!

3 caroline October 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm

ha! how cute are those? definitely going on my to-do list.

thank you, design mom!

4 Andrea October 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm

one of the best memories i have as a kid was making a pinata for my birthday party– we made a bed since it was a slumber party!

5 StumptownMom October 26, 2010 at 7:52 pm

These are adorable. We’re lucky to have a fun uncle who makes paper mache pinatas for birthday parties. This year it was a rocket ship with pom pom streamers coming out of the jets. Last year was an octopus with googly eyes attached for the suckers on the tentacles – so cute!
Mostly they start with the classic balloon covered with strips of newspaper covered in paste.
And they always get broken :)

6 Kelly October 27, 2010 at 8:07 am

i’m always torn between good ol’ fashioned homemade parties and all out themey store bought ones. i think this idea marries the two. i like it.

7 Melissa October 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I’m definitely going to use this idea for the next party I plan! LOVE. IT.

8 kayce hughes October 28, 2010 at 8:12 pm

What a great idea. I had never thought of it but it would be so fun to do.

9 Sally October 3, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Very cute! I love the monster her 7 year old made.
My daughter and I made a papier-mache pinata for her 4th birthday last year. It wasn’t all that hard to make but quite time consuming. I think the cardboard option might be a little easier next time we make one.
If you’re interested, here’s a look at the pinata we made: