Book of the Week: Nowhere Hair

October 12, 2010

Some serious yuck went down for Sue Glader 11 years ago. She had a young child. And a cancer diagnosis.

There isn’t much in the way of books that attempt to talk to kids about this topic. So she wrote one. It’s called Nowhere Hair and it’s terrific. Who knew such a delightful book could be written about something so scary? The illustrations by Edith Buenen are stylish and beautiful and the story is clever — a little girl knows her mom’s hair is missing and tries to solve that mystery.

Sue is working to inspire in a place where there is a lot of fear. And thank goodness, because fear has no place at the table with young kids. Go Sue!

What about you, Dear Readers? Have you ever lost your hair? How do think your kids would react if you did?

Find the book trailer here. Buy the book here.

1 shelley Taylor October 12, 2010 at 5:17 pm

What a sweet book. I just finished 6 months of chemo. We explained to our 4 and 7-year-old boys that I had to take medicine to make me better, and that medicine does a really crazy thing–makes my hair fall out. My sweet 4-year-old gave me “medicine” every day to make my hair grow back. It’s finally working : ) They also had serious opinions about my “fake hair” (pretty) my scarves (not always pretty) and my hats (favorite was the one with a flower on it). I think the important thing was that I never acted disturbed by it, so they took it in stride.

2 Design Mom October 12, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I love that your daughter gave you “medicine”. So sweet!

3 DeeAnna October 13, 2010 at 8:45 am

I love this idea for a book. My girlfriend also wrote a book dealing with telling your children about a difficult diagnosis. Her cousin illustrated it after telling her own 2 young children about her own breast cancer diagnosis. You can find it here. http://www.butterflykissesbook.com/ You really can’t have enough help when dealing with such a difficult diagnosis.

4 Meg October 12, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I wish I had known about this book about a year ago! I too did six months of chemo and lost all my hair. My boy turned two just a week before it started so he was a little too young to understand anything about it. But he was there when we shaved what was left of my hair and was always telling strangers that “Mommy got a hair cut!” I think that having someone lose their hair can be pretty traumatic for a kid, and I had a lot of nieces that were very concerned about it and would pray for my hair to come back everyday. It was very sweet. I think this is a must for any family where mom or dad has to lose their hair… what a great healthy way to talk about this. Thanks for sharing!

5 Design Mom October 12, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I can imagine a 2-year-old being fascinated with such a big change.

6 Chassity October 12, 2010 at 6:12 pm

What a wonderful sounding book. Thanks so much for sharing Gabrielle. I’m filing it away for a time when it will be needed.

7 Design Mom October 12, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I feel the same way, Chassity. I’m mentally filing this away. I don’t need it right this minute, but cancer has touched my life before and I’m sure it will again.

8 JourneyBeyondSurvival October 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this book! We’ve had two very difficult diagnoses in our family. Even though neither was cancer, I really feel that this book would help.

I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve typed up a post for tomorrow on my blog about this. I’m small but I’d love to spread the word.

9 Design Mom October 12, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I don’t mind at all. I hope your readers find it helpful.

10 Chelsie October 12, 2010 at 8:17 pm

This is great! Someone needs to write one about the child losing their hair. There are few and none of them are good.

My 3 year old was diagnosed with leukemia in May. We’ve lucked out in that she’s still got enough hair that we’ve not yet had to buzz it off.

Still it would have been nice to have one that would explain it for a small child to lose their own.

Maybe I should try and get on that myself.

11 plaeground October 12, 2010 at 11:41 pm

My mom was diagnosed with brain cancer 3 years ago and my girls (2 and 4 at the time) saw everything from her surgery scar above her right ear to her “dress up hair”. We lost my mom this past December and not once were they ever afraid of their grandmother, hair or no hair. We took her hair loss in stride and as part of her trying to get better. My mother was very brave and always answered the girls questions like “Why do you let the ghost wear your hair at night?” (ghost referring to the white styrofoam head that she put her wig on at night) We laughed for hours over that one. Cancer is an awful disease to have to deal with and I applaud Sue Glader on writing a beautiful touching book.

12 Sara October 25, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Love that you were able to find humor and fun in what must have been a difficult time! I love the things kids say…!

13 Miss Stovetop October 13, 2010 at 2:24 am

Stunning example of how someone can take one of life’s toughest battles and turn in into something so sweet for children to understand and accept. Brilliant, brilliant thought.

14 Porsche October 13, 2010 at 4:25 am

What an amazing woman! I have watched a coworker go through chemo for breast cancer. She used to do hair, so losing it was traumatic for her. This would have been a great book to have for her grandkids. Her hair is growing back, now. It is fun to see how much it grows, and to get so excited with her!

15 Petra Morvay October 13, 2010 at 4:31 am

Wow, I didn’ t know such a book existed, brilliant indeed!
My daughter goes to sleep wrapping my hair around her fingers – I hope she can do it as long as she wishes!

16 Nicole October 13, 2010 at 7:05 am

Thanks so much for sharing this book with us. I am a 35 year old monther of a 2 1/2 year old and a 11 month old who was diagnosed with breast cancer almost 2 months ago. I have had 3 of my 8 chemo treatments, which will be followeed by surgery & radiation. I can’t wait to order this book and make it part of our bedtime routine. Right now my 2 1/2 year old thinks I just had a hair cut to look like dad (who shaves his head)!

17 DeeAnna October 13, 2010 at 8:47 am

*comment re-posted in the correct spot this time. ooops.

18 elz October 13, 2010 at 9:45 am

Our very good friend is battling breast cancer that has metasticized throughout her body. She comes over frequently and lets the kids play with her wigs. Another good friend is her Oncologist. So, the kids have been told about cancer and the drugs that Auntie Rachel gets. Hopefully there will be a happy ending to our story. I hate that my children know these things first hand, but hope that Auntie Rachel’s courage and spirit will inspire them.

19 Heather Y Vincent October 13, 2010 at 1:32 pm

What a sweet book and an ingenious idea. What a better way to help kids understand cancer.

20 Krystle October 13, 2010 at 7:52 pm

What a great idea for a book, especially, for dealing with a hard topic such as cancer! Many times it’s difficult to discuss with young children and have them understand what’s going on.

21 Valerie October 15, 2010 at 2:32 am

When my baby boy lost his hair to chemo, well…he didn’t have much. I cried over his eyelashes and now we still haven’t cut the new blonde mop, nearly a year later, but it wasn’t that big of a deal.

When my six-year-old approached the commencement of her chemotherapy, her hair was long and curly and to her waist. I didn’t know what to tell her–would the anticipation or the sudden loss be more frightening? Luckily, one of her preparation books mentioned hair loss in a good framing, and she was excited to “not be so sweaty and static-y”. We cut her hair short in preparation and she loved her baldie head…for at least a month…but she’s grown it past her shoulders now. Hooray!

22 D.Taylor October 15, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I knew that my hair would fall out on the 15th or so day of Chemo, so I had my kids cut off my hair. First they used scissors and styled it, pretending they were hairdressers. Then out came the buzzer and they all took turns shaving it off. I tried to make it fun and something they could feel some control over.