Book of the Week: Kitten’s First Full Moon

October 5, 2010

Have you ever read Kitten’s First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes? It’s such a sweet simple story about a kitten’s attempt to get that giant bowl of milk in the sky. And the whole thing is done in black and white!

My kids love this one.

1 Mary October 5, 2010 at 2:43 pm

We love this book! So beautiful and sweet.

2 Emily October 5, 2010 at 3:41 pm

We LOVE Kevin Henkes at our house.

3 bdaiss October 5, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Fun! As a kitty family, this is going on my list!

4 KatiK October 5, 2010 at 5:04 pm

This is one of our favorites. So sweet and simple and the drawings are absolutely luminous, just as though the full moon is shining on everything in it!

5 Michelle October 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I love Kevin Henkes books! We use these often as shared reading lessons in 2nd grade to teach personal narrative writing.

6 Hannah October 5, 2010 at 7:47 pm

We have this book too, and I’ll always remember the first few times I’ve read it to each child, how hard we’ve both giggled at the sight of the kitten coming up out of the pond, totally bewildered.

7 Nikki October 5, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Love this book. Are you familiar with Library Lion by by Michelle Knudsen and Kevin Hawkes. Another favorite of ours. It’s a wonderful story and the illustrations are stunning.

8 Sarah Buttenwieser October 5, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Simply put, a picture perfect book.

9 Jenny October 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm

My daughter got this book about 6 years ago I think… we love it. It’s just so sweet!

10 Anneliese October 5, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Oh, we just love, love LOVE this book at our house! It is the sweetest and so perfect for babies and toddlers–Henkes is so smart. I also love “The Good Day” (hope I got the exact title) and I’m dying for another along these lines so I can have one of his toddler books for each of my girls. (Love his mouse stuff too…)

11 Bridgette October 5, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I was first introduced to Kevin Henkes when I began my career in Kindergarten some 10 years ago. He quickly became a favorite. I love Owen:)

12 Kelli October 6, 2010 at 8:54 am

I lived below Kevin Henkes in an apartment when I was about 8. He was just starting out in Madison, WI at that point and had autographed a few books for me and my brother. Happened to see him at a reading a few years ago and got the books signed again…turns out he remembered us. So neat! Aside from being a great author/illustrator he’s a pretty awesome guy too :) Looking forward to getting booked autographed for my daughter now… :)

13 Alexandra October 6, 2010 at 8:54 am

what’s this?! A Kevin Henkes book I’ve somehow overlooked?! I fell in love with his work when I started teaching, and now my kids adore his books as well. Thanks for the heads up on this one, I’m going to have to check it out.

14 Pat T October 6, 2010 at 9:09 am

Oooh, thank you. This goes on the list of books to buy. Love getting book recommendations. One of the few things I but with abandon for my children. You can never go wrong with a good book!

15 Lisa Mackin October 6, 2010 at 9:31 am

Kevin Henkes – now there’s a genius. Several years ago I took a Children’s Book Workshop at the Museum School in Boston taught by Ilse Plume, also a Caldecott award winner. She raved about this book! But Kevin is also a truly talented writer of fiction. He wrote an incredible book called Olive’s Ocean – about a 13 year old girl’s summer visit to her Grandma’s on Cape Cod. Beautiful – I’ve read it and it became a favorite of mine. My 11 year old and 15 year old daughters loved it as well.

16 Jan @ Family Bites October 6, 2010 at 10:30 am

What a great book! I love the black and white drawings and this might be a great holiday gift for my many nieces and nephews.

17 GirlSunday Designs October 6, 2010 at 11:20 am

we love that book in our house. thanks for sharing with your readers!

18 mandi October 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Yes! we do love this one! And any other Kevin Henkes book we’ve read!

19 Jen@FIRR-Kids! October 6, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Like so many others who posted, we also have a Kevin Henkes collection. I’m partial to his mice – Julius, Chrysanthemum, Lily, Sheila Rae, Chester and so on.

20 Ransacked Goods October 6, 2010 at 10:39 pm

We love this book too, thanks for mentioning it!

21 betsy October 6, 2010 at 11:18 pm

How funny, I just read this to my three year old tonight.

22 Nay-K October 7, 2010 at 8:06 am

so cute! the illustration is so adorable!
btw, I gave an award to your blog! Welcome to check it out on http://nay-k.de/creative!!! looking forward to your new posts! xoxo, nadine

23 Eliza October 9, 2010 at 6:11 am

We love this book too. It’s perfect for young toddlers and I love the repetition. “Poor kitten!” His books for slightly older kids are hilarious. But I do enjoy the big illustrations and simple prose of the books written for babies. “A Good Day” by Henkes (which begins “It was a bad day.”) is in color but has a similar feel to it and is very sweet.

24 Amy {giftofgreen} October 9, 2010 at 5:22 pm

And the end pages have 100 moons. Perfect for all kids of lessons.

25 esther October 13, 2010 at 6:57 am

i absolutley LOVE this book and any of Henkes’ other wonderful creations. KFFM is a classic and should be in any child’s library. on an aside: we often give charming children’s books (hardcover usually) as gifts to our mothers and mothers-in-laws — this way they have a steady stream of GREAT literature for the grandkids’ visits.

26 Betty September 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I read an Amazon review by a young girl who was quite concerned that
Kevin fails to point out somewhere in the book that, as even this young girl knew, milk is not good for cats, it gives them diarrhea. She was afraid the book would encourage people to give cats milk. Very insightful of her.
Out of the mouth of babes…comes good sense. Betty