A Few Things

October 29, 2010

What a fun day! This morning I helped with the Kindergarten Halloween Party — I helped at the stick-the-face-on-the-ghost game table. In a few minutes, I’m off to get Maude’s hair done for the Middle School Halloween Dance. She’s going as Mrs. Frankenstein. (It’s her first dance. Eeeek!)

Then tonight, our church is hosting a Chili Cookoff and Trunk-or-Treat. Ben Blair is concocting a new chili recipe, which I’m sure will be super yummy. We’ll work on the trunk when the kids get home from school.

I haven’t had a chance to get all the kids in costume at once yet, but it will happen this evening, so I’ll be sure to take lots of photos and post them this weekend. In the meantime, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:

- Some of the coolest wallpapers for kids I’ve come across.
- Remember that amazing felt wall globe? Well, now you can get a kit to make your own.
- An eyechart pillow.
- Mr. MadMen.
- Wow! These toys.

I write a daily post for Babble’s Family Style blog. Here are this week’s posts:
- When I was growing up, we had a You Are Special Today plate tradition.
- It’s not a costume, but it is a gorgeous Little Red Riding Hood dress.
- Still dying over this Rhinoceros Lightbox.
- What do you think of new baby gear inventions?
- I want a baby pod! Seriously cute stuff.

I hope you have a wonderful Halloween! We’ll be carving our pumpkins on Sunday afternoon. I’m looking forward to it. I’ll see you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — The images are of some of our Halloween decorations around the house. So festive!

1 Tanya October 29, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I love all of the variations of decorations you guys have. So creative!!! I love carving pumpkins and carved some all week…but it’s a bit warm in Austin and some aren’t looking so hot anymore. Tear. Happy weekend!

2 Design Mom October 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm

It’s true! Carved pumpkins go rotten so quickly. Such a bummer. But I bet yours were darling when they were freshly cut.

3 Ayme October 29, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Hey Gabby – where did you get those frame/plaques for your kids’ art? I like that idea – and I need to display some of my daughter’s artwork…

4 Design Mom October 29, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Hi Ayme! I actually had those made for my senior design project when I was in college. I wish I had a good source for you!

5 bdaiss October 29, 2010 at 3:07 pm

A few things back at ya…

I’d never heard of trunk or treat. Now you’re the 4th person to mention it! What a fun idea.

Little Red Riding Hood!!?! I went as little red when I was 2. I’ll do the same (with the same cape) next year with my girl. That dress would be AWESOME. It’s stashed in my faves.

Oh goodness would I give my left arm to have one of Ms. Müller’s menagerie. Gorgeous gorgeous work. The seals and elephants get me.

And do you have a violin player in your home? My husband’s family all play (except his dad who plays nearly any other instrument). I’d love my kids to learn, but my son wants nothing to do with it right now.

6 Design Mom October 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I need to do a post about our music room and tell which kids have played which instruments…

7 Rebecca Grace October 29, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Trunk or treat?? I’m lost… Please explain!

Also feeling jealous because Halloween parties have been banned at our public elementary school. They had a “fall harvest” party instead, with no pumpkins, black cats, or spiders allowed. Spoil sports.

I hope you and your family have a fantiastic Halloween!

8 Design Mom October 29, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Sorry for the confusion, Rebecca! My congregation hosts a trunk or treat, because everyone lives so far apart, we don’t get to see each others’ kids trick-or-treating on Halloween night.

Instead, we all meet for a party at the church and people decorate their car trunks. The kids go “trunk-or-treating” from car to car.

9 Ashlea Walter October 29, 2010 at 7:14 pm

That is a fantastic idea! How very cool and unique.

10 Heather October 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Love your decorations! Happy Halloween!

11 Design Mom October 29, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Thanks, Heather! Happy Halloween to you too.

12 Kate October 29, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I just love the pumpkin artwork and would love close-up pics or additional info on how they were made. Would love to do some with my own kids. I think using children’s artwork to decorate is such a great idea and also adds a personal touch… makes the artist feel special, too, especially in those fancy frames!

13 Gayle October 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I love that you call your hubbie Ben Blair too sweet :)

Love the children artwork thinking to try some with my kiddies tomorrow… we don’t do halloween here but it always looks like such fun :)
have a great weekend

14 Alix October 29, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Your house looks so adorable….I love those black plates (are they paper plates??) and I have never heard of a trunk or treat. So cute!!

I’m relieved you haven’t carved your pumpkins yet either….

Have a fabulous weekend!

15 Andrea October 29, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Is that Tasha Tudor’s “Pumpkin Moonshine” I spotted on your mantle? Such a sweet book! And I love your decorations. Happy Halloween!

16 Michelle October 29, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Your family dynamic sounds so wholesome and loving! All of your stories and vignettes are truly inspiring. I’m not a parent, but I hope to be one day, and I really enjoy reading about your family and all that comes with being a mom to 6 children. :)

17 Tamara October 29, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Great to see those beautiful garden mums on your doorstep? Thanks for the support for us growers :)

18 Ashlea Walter October 29, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Your ginormous mums are absolutely amazing! Will you plant them and use them as a perennial in your landscaping for next year? Are they hardy there in Colorado?

19 Michelle Torres October 30, 2010 at 7:00 am

Your Fall pictures are so Lovely!!!! I hope you and your family have a wonderful time at your church trunk or treat, me and my little girls are also going to help out at our church fall harvest Trunk or Treat too, and we are looking foward to it!!! Happy Halloween to you and your sweet family!!!

20 Debi Campbell October 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I love the black and white plates! I will be making stencils tonight and crafting after school tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration!

21 Daisy October 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Your decorations are to die for! I love visiting your site. You are so talented! Thanks for the inspiration.