Corn Maze

September 13, 2010

Have you ever been through a corn maze? We went on Saturday evening (it was free for Denver Botanic Garden members — score!) It was our first time and I must confess right off the bat: we are corn maze failures. We wandered around for an hour and ended up exiting through the entrance. : )

Even though we didn’t beat the maze, we had such a good time. It felt like we were welcoming fall. I loved it.

1 jenny September 13, 2010 at 11:47 am

Oh my. As much as I LOVE fall, I DO NOT want to celebrate it in a corn maze. Which is what I just signed my life away to do: per pleading, begging and tears, I am now a chaperone for the 7th grade field trip to the corn maze. uuhhh.
{Gosh, I love my son. I hope he knows this.}
Glad you had fun anyway.

2 Paula/adhocmom September 13, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Always wanted to do it. Finally did, and then I was TOTALLY creeped out. Once was plenty!

3 Tabitha (From Single to Married) September 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm

You know… now that I think about it, I don’t think I ever have! I’d better change that asap! :)

4 Carrie September 13, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I have never done a corn maze and my boys are 8 and 11. I think, as Tabitha mentioned above, that I better get cracking on that To Do!

5 megan September 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm

your hair looks so pretty!

6 Melissa Edwards September 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Oooh! That looks like so much fun. Never done one before, but we don’t have a lot of corn in this area of Texas.

7 Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net September 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I keep intending to go through a corn maze, but we haven’t quite made it yet. maybe this year. looks like fun.

8 Tiffany G. September 13, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Looks like so much fun. My family joined our good friends in their Fall tradition, visiting an Apple Orchard. There’s a corn maze but our children are a little too small to really participate.

BTW, is your hair darker? Looks great!

9 Kristen F September 13, 2010 at 1:15 pm

How funny, we were at the Denver Botanic Gardens just yesterday! Our family loves corn mazes — they have some amazing ones in the north metro area. When our kids are older we’ll have to try one of the haunted ones. We also spent an afternoon this past weekend picking raspberries at Berry Patch Farms, another of our favorite activities this time of year.

10 Becky September 13, 2010 at 1:20 pm

There’s just something so joyful and homey about a corn maze, isn’t there? We’ve made it an annual tradition with my daughter and niece, but we’ll have to skip it this year. As fun as it is to watch my 3-year-old squeal and run through the maze, I don’t want to be halfway through when my water breaks! Love your pictures.

11 Heather P. September 13, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Dear Gabby…

May I have your hair? My hair is straight as an arrow and will probably be the same way for the rest of my life. The mop won’t hold curl if its life depended on it. Beautiful!

Thanks

12 Michelle September 13, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Living in a corn state, corn mazes are a staple. We always have so much fun. Glad you enjoyed it.

13 just September 13, 2010 at 1:38 pm

a maize maze!?
very cute idea says the puerto rican running museum family programs.
i just saw the movie fresh (food inc type doc) too & have corn on the brain.

14 Zom G. September 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Corn mazes are our new fall hobby! We just fell in love with park in Godfrey, IL and all the “corn cop” volunteers. Maize maze tip {hehe}: follow a toddler {“This way, mama! No! This way!} Counter-intuitive maybe, but we made it out in record time!

15 Jenny @ Practically Perfect... September 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I grew up in the farmlands of Indiana, so of course we did a lot of corn mazes! I always thought they were fun, because they typically had hot cider, petting zoos, food, and bonfires going on as well (we did a lot of them at night). The haunted corn mazes were fun when we were teens :-) My husband is from GA, though, and he didn’t care for them too much!

16 bdaiss September 13, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Yea! I love corn mazes! I wish there was one up here.

Have you guys gone to the Harvest Farm? (http://harvestfarm.net/fall_festival/index.php) We went a few years ago. I imagine it’s only an hour or so north of you? SO.MUCH.FUN! Pumpkin shooters, corn guns, corn maze, straw bale maze for the littles, petting zoo, hay rides, and so much more. Plus it’s a pretty darn good cause. I so wish there was a way we could go every year…(Oh, and we had to use the map to find our way out of that one!)

17 Heather {WhipperBerry} September 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Love, love, love the corn maze there. I miss Denver!! We are still in the high 90′s here in Vegas. {sigh}

Kisses from the WhipperChicks

18 Kacy Faulconer September 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm

They don’t have corn mazes in France.

19 Kathleen September 13, 2010 at 4:53 pm

The corn maze used to be our big challenge. The husband and the boys would get the Google earth picture of the maze and then map out our route!

20 lisa polo September 13, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Hmmm…I hadn’t thought of this in years but I was a room mother on a corn maze field trip. It didn’t go well. Tears. Yelling for rescue.

And then, of course, the kids’ tears and yelling too…

21 Katherine September 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm

We had to exit out of the entrance too! An hour and 15 minutes later I had a sleeping toddler in my arms (he fell asleep on my shoulders first) and a mother-in-law repeatedly telling me we were never going to find our way out. haha. My four year old and I had a grand time though.

22 Grace September 13, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I love corn mazes! I’ve been going to one for the past few years and I always have a blast. I don’t have kids instead I have a very eager boyfriend and no matter how long it takes we make it through! haha

23 Dana September 14, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Gabby, you look awesome! I love the last pic especially! So nice to have a slew of children, all different sizes, trailing beside you after a fun filled day.

24 mary September 15, 2010 at 9:40 am

Oh my. Your hair looks amazing! I need to get my curls to look like that…

25 amyks September 15, 2010 at 10:20 am

Being from Iowa orginally, one would think that I would have come across a corn maze before…the first time I saw one (haven’t ventured in one yet) was here in MA while apple picking. Go figure?!?