Book of the Week: Fables

September 28, 2010

Here’s another must-have for your book collection. Arnold Lobel’s Fables.

Gorgeous illustrations (it’s a Caldecott winner). Classic tales. Frankly, it’s hard not to love everything made by the creator of Frog and Toad.

Doesn’t every child need a book filled with fables? What would you say is most important in helping a child become culturally literate —Fables? Myths? Mother Goose? The Bible?

1 Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves September 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

love love love!

2 Hannah September 28, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I love this book and haven’t seen it for a long time. Thanks for the reminder.

3 Jennifer September 28, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I’ve loved that book since elementary school when I made a puppet to look just like the bear on the cover. Good reminder that I need to pull that one out to read again.

4 Carrie Kane for Anders Ruff Custom Designs September 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Oh my goodness, Gabby, I have not seen this book cover since I was a child. The memories come flooding back. I need to share with my own sons. -Carrie

5 Erica September 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm

We actually started reading fables at bedtime about two weeks ago. My 4 year old loves it. He actually looks forward to bedtime (gasp) because he enjoys the fables so much!

6 Jessica Fenster-Sparber September 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Great question! I agree with you, they all have a role to play. I’d like to hear what others think about which is *the most* significant. In my own childhood, I think the Value Tales series might have been more significant than the bible or fables. Was anyone else influenced by those big white books?

7 Alli September 28, 2010 at 7:58 pm

i love this book. brings back many memories with my mom reading it to us!

8 Ivy September 29, 2010 at 7:42 am

We grew up reading from this book in our home and always loved it. Thanks for the reminder to get a copy for my son so he can enjoy “Fables” the way we did.

9 Caitlyn September 29, 2010 at 9:02 am

I had this book when I was little and I loved it. Great choice!

10 Stephen Dave September 29, 2010 at 11:28 am

Wow talk about a trip down memory lane! My childhood was spent reading from this book. I read my son these stories all of the time!

11 kimberly September 29, 2010 at 2:37 pm

arnold lobel is genius. we havne’t acquired fables yet, but all of us enjoy the frog and toad books, definite favorites at our house. perhaps santa will bring the fables. or Mr. Owl.

12 DeeAnna September 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm

This is one of my favorite books!! Fables were a part of the High School curriculum that I taught. Everyone at every age can still learn from Aesop and Arnold Lobel!

13 Anneliese September 29, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I was just looking at this book (online) earlier this week and was about to hit add-to-cart, but didn’t. Looks like I need to add this to our collection.

14 SandyPants September 30, 2010 at 1:16 pm

ha ha, I just read one of the fables to my neice the other day! Love this book.

15 Jen September 30, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Your Book of the Week feature is one of my favorites. We have a large children’s book collection and I think I will have to squirrel it away once the children are grown, because I am unable to say goodbye to those wonderful books. The problem is, I am constantly finding more books that are begging to be added to our collection. Illustrators should be less amazing!

16 Margaux September 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm

was my fav book as a kid!!! thanks for reminding me about it! my son is due in a few weeks so i think ill remind my dad and have him get it for his grandson :)

17 Jane October 1, 2010 at 1:13 am

Oh I had this exact same book when I was little – and loved it!
Hopefully it’s somewhere at my parents ready to be enjoyed by little ones all over again! Thanks so much for sharing and reviving my memories.

18 Sarah k October 2, 2010 at 5:54 pm

I will look for this one! About your question: I think everything you mentioned, plus Tales from Shakespeare, A Child’s Garden of Verses, and the original Pooh books and poetry were the cultural- literacy-shaping highlights of my childhood. And the many Dickens novels my dad read aloud in the evenings!

19 Amanda October 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I just picked this one up last Saturday at a yard sale for ten cents! We’re collecting Caldecott and Newbery winners and finalists, and this was one I had my eye out for. Was considering taking it apart to frame some of the pictures for my boy’s room, but…I have issues with “destroying” books, ten cents or not!