Ask Design Mom: Wedding Clothes for Boys

September 22, 2010

Question:
Hi Gabby. My baby brother (ok, he’s almost 30 not really a baby) is getting married and has invited my boys to be in the ceremony. Do you know any sources for dressy but still fashion forward outfits for boys? Ages at the wedding will be 1.5 years and 5.5 years. Thanks — Jenny

Answer:
Little boys in wedding ceremonies are adorable! For dressier (but still cool) kid clothes, I like to start at Olive Juice and Crewcuts — or for your littlest one, how about a classic john-john from Kacey Hughes?

What about you, Clever Readers? What are your favorite sources for dressy little boy clothes?

1 Betsy September 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

I love pumpkin patch kids, zara kids, gap, h&M etc… For boys I have to dig and dig and dig to find the cutest things! Its hard.
fun2bkids.blogspot.com

2 Design Mom September 22, 2010 at 11:44 am

Those are great suggestions, Betsy! Thank you.

3 Nadia September 22, 2010 at 11:36 am

for infants and toddlers I LOVE sailor inspired outfits. A sailor bubble type outfit for a baby would be adorable. The 1 1/2 year old would look great in somthing like this. It is classic and formal, but not stuffy and uncomfortable like trying to wrangle a toddler into a monkey suit.

4 Design Mom September 22, 2010 at 11:45 am

I agree! Sailor suits are so classic.

5 Jen M. September 22, 2010 at 11:43 am

We had a bunch of my little boy cousins in my wedding as well. It was really rad. They wore suit jackets/pants from Target, custom t-shirts designed by my hubby and some vans.
Love this idea!

6 Design Mom September 22, 2010 at 11:45 am

Those outfits sound adorable, Jen! I bet the kids loved the vans.

7 pamela September 22, 2010 at 11:55 am

we put my 16 month old son in a little guayabera set for a casual beach wedding this weekend. it was white and light and baby-perfect. similar to this, but imagine a better photo + on a cute little one. :)

8 Jessica September 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I just completed this task for my 4 yo son the other day. I went to the Next clothing website (thank you, Design Mom, for turning me on to that site). The shipping was crazy cheap. Arrived within a couple days of my order…got him skinny charcoal gray pants, a crisp white military inspired shirt, a black skinny tie and hi-top converse like shoes for about $30!! The wedding is next weekend. I’m excited for his dapper duds.

9 Kaely September 22, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Classic, but not fussy. I love there stuff.

10 Jessica September 22, 2010 at 2:19 pm

As a mom of all boys, to add to the list that I agree with, Ralph Lauren online often has good basics for dressing up a boy….especially ones that are a bit older.

11 Denise Laborde September 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Hi, I am in France and do not know if these brands are available in the States, but I love Tartine et Chocolat and Cyrillus for classic clothes for special ocassions!

12 sibylle September 23, 2010 at 6:27 am

I love Ralph Lauren for classic clothes. We put our son into white linen pants and shirt. it looked absolutely cute , considering he also had a red mohawk;-)

13 Tara J September 23, 2010 at 7:03 am

I too really like Olive Juice. I also like Velvet and Tweed for dressy boy clothes. I am not a huge fan of suits and ties for little boys, and both these offer European styles while still embrasing that the little guys are kids. I am a big sucker for converse shoes for the dress up shoes.

14 Kate The Great October 2, 2010 at 1:19 am

I find that for a 1.5 year old, as long as he’s wearing a button-down shirt and something that’s not jeans, no one cares what he’s wearing because he’s just cute.

I say: monopolize on the cuteness and smallness and character that he just naturally has and buy things like corduroys and vests that can be used for other events as well.

15 Noha Refaii October 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Hi Mom.My sister is getting married in winter and i have 2 brothers so what they can be wear in wedding (Please note that the wedding party will be small)
Ages the first one 14 years and another brother 11 years
Do you know any sources for dressy but still fashion forward outfits for boys?
Another question.I need to know simple style for the bride because it’s small wedding (wedding dresses )

16 Angela September 26, 2012 at 2:04 pm

There are few things as wonderful as a little boy in a well tailored tux.

17 Azra September 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I love Zara, H&M, Crewcuts and sometimes you can find good buys in Nordstrom.

18 Nicole September 26, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I’ve found really great stuff at Nordstrom’s (Nordstrom Rack, even better!) and Kitsel.com sometimes has off-the-charts cute ties and jackets!