Ask Design Mom: Cool Clocks for Kids

September 21, 2010

Question:
I’m new to the site and would love to ask you a question. Do you know of any super cool, beautiful, interesting clocks for a 4 year old girl’s room? — Shantia

Answer:
Hi Shantia. Welcome to Design Mom. So glad you’re here! I don’t know if you have a particular style preference, but I love the retro clocks that used to be displayed in kitchens across the country. They come in such fun colors and the numbers are typically clear and easy to read. They look very kid-appropriate to me. Bai Design makes some great retro-styled clocks — you can find them here.

What about you, Clever Readers? Have you seen any cool clocks around lately?

1 Angel September 21, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Here’s my favorite…it’s perfect for hiding treasures. :)

My 13-year-old sister loved her retro kit cat clock

2 Design Mom September 21, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Those are both great picks, Angel! That Ikea PS one is such a statement piece.

3 Angel October 7, 2010 at 4:23 pm

So I went to IKEA and bought the red clock. We’re still deciding where it’s going to live in her room, but it’s just as awesome as I remember it.

I also thought it would be a neat way to do a time capsule for a little one if you don’t intend for them to play with it. Sort of a take on ‘how time flies’…for baby shoes, first tooth, an heirloom comb and brush, a small baby photo etc.

4 jen September 21, 2010 at 4:11 pm

why yes!
hitting the flea markets in france all summer and saw so many old retro alarm clocks i picked up several– so now i have one for every bedroom (if not more, i couldn’t help myself!)

5 Clare Picker September 21, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I bought a cute pink old-fashioned alarm clock at Hobby Lobby for my 4 year-old daughter’s room. It was only $5 and had that retro vibe. For a wall clock I used this tutorial http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/03/diy-wendesdays-clock-refashion.htmlfrom DesignSponge to make a clock for my own bedroom. It was really easy to take my $3 Walmart clock and I used my printer to print numbers on scrapbook paper instead of sewing them on. You could use any kind of fabric or paper to match her room. DesignSponge has several other clock suggestions in their DIY section, too.

6 Porshi September 21, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I don’t know what kind of aesthetic you’re going for, but I love these wooden clocks. They are a bit spendy though.

7 Bethany September 21, 2010 at 6:50 pm
8 Amy September 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I really love the Big Ben Moonbeam clock from LL Bean. It makes me feel so nostalgic and happy. We have a yellow one in my 3-year-old daughters room.

9 Whitney September 21, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I just found an amazing clock at Target on clearance (I think it was the end of their back to school, college stuff). It’s red and white and the numbers are the same color as the face, but you can still notice them. It’s very retro cool – I just wish I could find it online!

Target’s my go-to place for just about anything.

10 Liz September 21, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Oh my gosh, we JUST saw those same clocks at the most fabulous kitchen store in Ellsworth, Maine, and scribbled them down to share with our readers too. You have great taste Gab – not that we didn’t know that.

11 Jenny September 21, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I was just looking at vintage mechanical alarm clocks on etsy, and one shop had the coolest… The Clockwork Universe. Most of the clocks come from soviet era Russia or Germany. They’re the real deal and very reasonably priced. So cool.

12 Bianca R. September 21, 2010 at 9:03 pm

These are some of the coolest clocks I’ve come across for kids:

They are modern and adorable. Really love the squirrel!

13 Martha O. September 21, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Hi, modernnursery.com has cuckoo clocks that are for nurserys but I think they are cute enough for a 4 year olds room.

14 Jeanette from Everton Terrace September 22, 2010 at 9:22 am

I have this (almost) clock in yellow in my own bedroom so I think your suggestion is perfect! I am enjoying checking out all the commentors offerings as well.

15 Lauren L September 22, 2010 at 10:21 am

I second the Moonbeam clock. Doubles as a nightlight!

16 Lauren L September 22, 2010 at 10:24 am

Actually one more–a ceiling projection clock, my son loves his. Costco stocks them usually.

17 Heidi September 22, 2010 at 10:31 am

Oh, love that!

18 Melissa September 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I just bought a gorgeous laser-cut wooden baby elephant clock from Magpie Lovely for a friend’s nursery. They had five or six cute retro-modern ones to choose from. Really adorable, and very cool while still being totally kid-appropriate. http://magpielovely.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=239

19 Zom G. September 22, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I love you guys.

We run through clocks so fast you’d think we eat time for breakfast. These ideas are all great!