Ask Design Mom: 10 Year Reunion Party Favors

September 23, 2010

Question:
I am planning a 10 year high school reunion and I want to make some really cute and creative party favors. Searching online, there are a lot of chintzy/cheapy favors but am having a difficult time finding cute DIY ones. Do you have any ideas? Thanks, Athena

Answer:
I love planning big parties and events, Athena — I hope you’re having a great time organizing your reunion! This question is a bit tricky to answer without knowing the number of guests or the budget, but I’ll try to get the brainstorming started and hopefully my Brilliant Readers will add their ideas as well.

-One smart place to start is wedding sites. They have tons of great ideas for favors at lots of different price ranges, many of which might translate well for your party. I found the candy and cookie favors above at Martha Stewart — bonus points if you come up with a food related to your hometown or high school mascot. : )

-A meaningful idea: give out CDs with the most popular songs from your high school years. Don’t forget to include the prom theme! Have one of your classmates design a cover for the CD.

-I wonder if you could find pennies made in the year of your graduation? You could give out little stacks of pennies for good luck in the next 10 years (packaged in a pretty way with explanatory tags, of course).

Brilliant Readers, feel free to chime in with your ideas too!

1 Carrie Kane for Anders Ruff Custom Designs September 23, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Hi Athena and Gabrielle, what about personalized M&M’s with the school name on one side and the graduation date on the other…in the school’s colors.

2 Design Mom September 23, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I love that idea, Carrie!

3 Carey September 23, 2010 at 3:53 pm

We had everyone send in a little update with what they’ve been up to for the past 10 years and a couple of pics and compiled it into a little book they could take with them. It was so much fun reading about where everyone is, their kids and families, and adventures. We called it “Where in the world is the class of 1996.” Everyone loved it and even people who couldn’t make it requested a copy after they heard about it.

4 Jen from Kidcity September 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I know it’s NUTS – but when I want to make people feel really special, I make a pop-up card. You could do a simple box pop-up and then decorate the outside with an image of your high school. For my wedding invites, we modified the box to include a steeple and handwrote “here is the church here is the steeple open the doors and see all the people” – which fit with the kid-theme of the wedding. We made 150 cards, with an assembly line of children and friends gluing and weighting the cards…

But enough about me.

You can print a template for a box pop-up off the web at this site: http://www.popularkinetics.com/volume_box_page.html

It’s a little tricky at first, but if you use a stiff paper, it’s a very satisfying thing to have as a keepsake. Enjoy your reunion!

5 Michele September 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Hi all,
We bypassed the favor idea for my reunion and instead rented a photo for candid’s and hired a photographer for a large group shot. People were able to take their strip of photos home (and look at everyone else’s online), then we sent the classmates a group photo in a carved wooden frame. We also sent them copies of the slide show with a CD from the top songs of 1995. The whole favor cost about $5 including shipping.

Have fun!

6 Elaina September 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm

You could go by your high school bookstore for some logo items. We bought a bunch of t-shirts with the HS logo (which were actually the current PE uniform shirts, but were much cooler than any other shirts for sale) and gave several away as door prizes. They were a huge hit!

7 Amy September 25, 2010 at 7:53 am

I like the idea of hiring a photographer… maybe even renting one of those phot booths? You know the ones where you get a strip of 4 pictures? That would be fun.

Another good idea… since so many have so much.. how about taking your budget and making a charitable donation in your classes name? Or setting up a small scholarship for a a student at your school?

8 Design Mom September 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Such great ideas! Thank you for sharing.

9 Athena September 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Thank you Gabrielle and readers…love love love all the ideas. Now I have a lot to choose from. FYI: we are going to have a classic photo booth too! It is going to be so much fun :)

10 Tammy September 27, 2010 at 1:09 pm

We had the local candy story create chocolate (on a stick) for us in the shape of our mascot, and others with our graduation year.