Vintage Internet Ads

August 26, 2010

I saw these posters on Unplggd and they made me laugh. They were designed by a Sao Paulo ad agency called Moma. Won’t it be fun to be grandmas and grandpas and see vintage ads for things like the iPhone and feel nostalgic?

P.S. — Thank you for all the internet love yesterday (here on Design Mom, on twitter and on facebook) — I’m still grinning ear to ear!

1 Ren August 26, 2010 at 11:57 am

These are really great- I felt dated when a few years ago my oldest monkey asked me ‘did you use wikipedia when you wanted to find the biggest or most poisonous animal’- Um no didn’t have internet in my home till I was in middle school.
Also I’m a girl- don’t want to know about poison or biggest.

2 Design Mom August 26, 2010 at 11:59 am

Hah! I keep telling my kids I didn’t have a cell phone until I was married and finished with college. They can’t even imagine!

3 Amber August 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I love these posters! Such a clever idea, I will have to pass these on :)

4 Sarah August 26, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I wonder if old people would “get it” if these ads were really used. No offense to old people. :)

5 Mark August 27, 2010 at 12:43 am

I classify as an “older person” and I think they’re hilarious!

6 Tooth Fairy August 26, 2010 at 1:51 pm

✧*¨*•.¸✧☆✧Toothfairy online almost a decade now ~FLY~ing by waving “Hi” Wishing you SWEET congratulations on being picked in Time’s Top 50! I love and appreciate those Old Skool ( or vintage really?) Ads that you shared. So cool, fairy kewl! Thank you for sharing. I hope you believe in me? Toothfairy tweets on Twitter @toothfairycyber and on Facebook I fly around as Ladybugcda. CDA = Certified Dental Assistant. “Unique Ambassador” promoting healthy smiles and more! ☺ That’s me, hope you visit and come see! ( Toothfairy’s magic disappears if she is “SEEN” ) LOL Good-bye, gotta FLY!

7 Julia August 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Just a tiny correction: The name of the city is Sao Paulo (not Sao Paula). It´s Brazil’s biggest city.

8 Design Mom August 26, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Yikes! I was typing too fast this morning. : ) Typo fixed. Thanks for letting me know, Julia.

9 troutdalite August 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm

loved these! your uncle gary was my seminary teacher in no. cal. he inspired me to get to design, via his advertising skills.

10 Jenny also August 26, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Love these! Reminds me of one of the many reasons I am totally addicted to Mad Men.

Gaby, How about a post about where to get new but 50s and 60s inspired clothes for kids and adults? Probably should submit to Ask Design mom. Would be awesome for Thanksgiving; which always strikes me as a kinda “retro” holiday.

11 damaris August 26, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Not just because I’m Brazilian…but the ad agencies in Brazil rock. They’re so creative.

I had e-mail for the first time in High School and my first personal computer in college. In elementary and middle school the only thing I did on a computer was play Oregon Trail. Maybe that’s why i had way more time back then.

12 Ivan Raszl August 26, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Can you please credit the original source everyone took it from?
I appreciate it!
Ivan

13 Tanya August 26, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Ha! I love these.

14 Tanya August 26, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Ha! These are great!

15 Clay August 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm

reminds me of ALT/1977 by Alex Varanese

16 Norell August 26, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Just to reassure everyone – yes, we “old” people do understand and enjoy the ads!!

17 Wendy August 26, 2010 at 8:24 pm

These are fantastic! Absolutely fantastic!

18 Tuan-Anh August 26, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing

19 Andrea August 26, 2010 at 8:58 pm

OMG – these are hilarious! Thank you for sharing these, they made my evening!

20 kaela d. August 26, 2010 at 9:28 pm

these are amazing!! i absolutely LOVE vintage ads…such a great idea.
i actually just got a necklace from etsy that was wrapped in vintage magazine pages…it killed me to throw it away haha

21 Alisa: a pina colada August 27, 2010 at 12:13 am

Very fun and clever. Love that I get to enjoy the crazy talent that people have!

22 Heidi August 27, 2010 at 4:28 am

Hilarious. Love it!

23 bdaiss August 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I WANT THOSE! How awesome? I’ve had a thing for vintage advertising for a long time. These are so cool.

24 B.J. Moore August 28, 2010 at 4:30 am

Define OLD????
Being as old as 49 and a true 70s’ kid…. you can trust me when I say…
” I got it!”
These adds are wayyy coool!. Rockin’.

25 Steve T. August 28, 2010 at 11:16 am

I love these ads, but as for: “Won’t it be fun to be grandmas and grandpas and see vintage ads for things like the iPhone and feel nostalgic?” — well, you don’t have to wait. Go to http://www.wiredreread.com/ described as “A trip down 128 Mb memory lane.”

This blogger is having fun re-reading ads in Wired magazine from the 90s. Your jaw really drops and you think, “We thought THAT was GREAT?? THAT was HOT??”

He also spices things up with comments like, “Is that a floppy-disc in your camera, or are you just happy to see me?”

26 Autumn August 31, 2010 at 1:17 pm

So clever!!!

27 Lynne August 31, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Brilliant!

28 Dan Chizzoniti September 4, 2010 at 12:20 pm

In love with these. Reblogging fosho.

29 Raman Job September 8, 2010 at 7:08 pm

These are just plain wonderful!

30 Mike September 23, 2010 at 9:18 am

Wow…! AMAZED…!!

31 Bill September 29, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Even the dog loves Skype. You know when I was a kid they told us by now we would have flying cars and free energy.

32 shereen Koshnoodi November 18, 2010 at 8:41 am

I love these! It’s weird to think facebook, twitter, blogging, etc will be an ancient way to communicate to our kids when I remember when we didn’t have email. :)

33 Lord of Numa April 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Pretty nice. Reminds me of Fallout

34 Dave Ebert October 26, 2011 at 5:02 am

When I was a child in the early 1960′s, computers were the size of a small room. The Freedom 7 space capsule, the first into space, was too small for a whole computer. It had less computing capacity than a standard cell phone. A Blackberry is more than equal to the computers each launch controller had in Houston. The closest thing we had to a cell phone were ten pound CB radios in cars and trucks- and they were still few and far between. SKYPE was a concept we saw on The Jetsons cartoon only. (We’re still waiting for the flying cars.) Records were 12 inch black vinyl disks scratched with needles; portable tunes meant “transistor radios”- the first solid state circuits. They were 4×6 inches at the smallest, used a shabby little ear bud, drifted off the radio station constantly, and had fuzzy and terrible sound. Yet they were the best thing going. We carried those transistor radios with us everywhere and slept with them under our pillows. At age 60, I sometimes feel like I’ve been launched forward in time. But- people are all exactly the same.

35 Gill November 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm

LOVE IT!

MUST SHOW GRANDMOTHER THIS! she flips out when the screensaver goes on when we’re talking on skype X-x