Peach Tree

August 20, 2010

We have a peach tree in our backyard. It is absolutely dripping with fruit. The branches are so heavy with peaches they touch the ground. I have asked friends and neighbors to come. Come and gather peaches! They walk away with boxes and bags full but it doesn’t even make a dent. There is so much fruit. Isn’t that wonderful?!

If you lived by me, I would offer you peaches. Come by anytime, I would say.

P.S. — Seeing my kids in the tree reminds me of our apple picking afternoons in New York.

1 Ashley Rae August 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm

These pictures are awesome! The first one of your little girl and those gorgeous eye is definitely my favorite!

2 Ashley Rae August 20, 2010 at 12:36 pm

eyes* – Sorry!

3 Chris August 20, 2010 at 12:38 pm

And if I lived there,I’d bake you my “famous” peachberry pie. I’d give you the recipe, but it’s sooo much better when you don’t have to slave over it! XO

4 Katie @ goodLife {eats} August 20, 2010 at 12:39 pm

My neighbor has a peach tree and we’ve been so lucky to be on the receiving end. We’ve enjoyed peach and berry cobblers, peach frozen yogurt, and peach cake. His isn’t as big as your tree looks…if it were, I’d be begging for more to make peach jam!

5 cindy @ jtlt August 20, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Oh how I wish I lived near you! We can’t seem to eat enough peaches this summer and they look so delicious!

6 Leslie August 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm

great pictures!

7 Destri August 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Mmmmm, Colorado peaches are the best. Espesh the ones from Grand Junction area.

8 Natasha August 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Love the photos! With so many extra peaches, you should try this recipe for peach hand pies. I have been waiting to make them myself! Perfect for little ones’ lunchboxes ;-)

9 Mary August 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Oh, so jealous! I grew up with lots of fruit trees, and I cherish the memories of being able to go out into my own yard to pick a snack. We aren’t so lucky, but we do have a farm right up the street, so at least we get to go picking. What are you going to make with all those peaches?

I am sure you must have one, but we loved this peach-blueberry cobbler recipe:

Here are a couple other ideas (fish with peach salsa, chicken and peach quesadillas…)

10 Robin August 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Your children and the tree are beautiful!

11 lizzie August 20, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I’d love to come and pick some if I weren’t in NYC. All I’ve wanted to do lately is make pie and peach pie with homemade ice cream sounds divine.

12 Vanessa August 20, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I might be a little jealous!
yum, fresh picked peaches sound devine.

13 beyond August 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

ah! i wish i was your neighbour. we went peach picking last week. it’s one of my favorite things to do. plus fruit tastes better when you pick it yourself…

14 Hannah Stevenson August 20, 2010 at 1:17 pm

First of all I’m salivating over here…YUMMY! We have an apricot and apple tree in our back yard. I love the feeling of abundance and being able to share with so many. This time of year I feel like it’s a symbol of God’s abundant love and grace….just more than we have room for and so wonderful to share.

15 sheila August 20, 2010 at 1:45 pm

oh, I’d die for a good peach right now. (but I’d eat it first before I died). Here in Hawaii we don’t get many good peaches shipped over. I’ll trade you a pineapple?

16 naomi August 20, 2010 at 1:56 pm

For fun (and for day-dreaming) my daughter and I went to an open house at a 1922 farmhouse south of our town on Sunday. It was a glorious yard with peach and apple trees, and it made me wistful for childhood and country living. Happy for your bounty, and wishing we were neighbors!

17 carter @ the kitchenette August 20, 2010 at 2:02 pm

If you need to give some peaches away, I will make some jam and you can have half the jars!

18 carter @ the kitchenette August 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I forgot to point out – I’m in downtown Denver haha

19 Eleni August 20, 2010 at 2:04 pm

They seem so delicious!! It’s a pity I live in another continent!

p.s. your kids are very cute and they look like their mother as I can tell from the photos!

20 Stephanie August 20, 2010 at 2:08 pm

We had an abundant yielding peach tree this year too. So, we had a couple of peach dessert parties. I made peach crisp, peaches and homemade ice cream, peach trifle, and peach bread pudding. The peach bread pudding at http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/emeril-peach-bread-pudding.html was divine (I used day old french bread … mmmm).

21 Ainsley August 20, 2010 at 2:43 pm

A peach tree in my backyard sounds divine. And those pictures of your daughter are just gorgeous. What a beautiful girl!

22 Angel August 20, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Millions of peaches…peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free!

Our local farmers market is hopping with peaches, and I was able to come up with a white peach and kumquat Dry Soda martini – yum! As soon as I get good pictures (you know, I have to stop drinking it first), I’ll post. :)

Love the neighborly offer…mighty kind!

23 Kathleen August 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Do you have any garden cooperatives around you? You can trade your peaches for other fruits, veggies, sometimes even bread, jam, eggs, milk.

We have year round fruit and I’m constantly harvesting, trading, and canning & I love it!

24 Deece August 20, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Those look lovely! Peaches are one of the few fruits my husband really enjoys. Unfortunately, it is not often that I am able to find good peaches on Saipan. Although he did find some amazing nectarines last week. If you lived near me, I would offer you mangoes.

25 Cissy August 20, 2010 at 8:10 pm

In my yard it’s plums this month, apples next month. I’m like you–sending every visitor home with a bag.

26 amyks August 20, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Oh, i’m jealous…my girls love peaches, but it is so hard to get really good ones here in Boston. I do wish I could come pick some.

27 Bethany August 20, 2010 at 8:51 pm

You could make peach-jelly for Christmas presents :) I canned fresh peaches last year and they were amazing gifts — you could always ship them to Indiana for me {wink}.

28 jen August 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm

what a dream come true! my parents are in denver and they spent the whole morning canning peaches! (also a flashback from childhood!)

by the way, the first photo of your daughter couldn’t possibly look any more like you.

29 Jess August 22, 2010 at 4:26 am

I can’t even imagine having a peach tree or an apple tree, it must be fantastic. Here in the tropics we don’t have that luxury :(

30 Wendy August 22, 2010 at 7:27 am

We’ve put two peach trees in and both have died. We had a bad fruit year. We got a few cherries early but then nothing on the pear, apples, or plum. I WISH I could say to the kids, “Just go over to the Blair’s house and grab a bucket o’ peaches!”

31 Becky Sue August 22, 2010 at 5:51 pm

My friend, Kim, has a great peach cobbler recipe…

Kim’s “Slap ya Mama” Peach Cobbler:

2 cups fresh peaches tossed in a little bit of sugar
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 WHOLE stick of butter

Put peaches in the bottom of a 2 qt. casserole dish. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, sugar and egg until crumbly. Put the flour/sugar/egg mixture on top of the peaches and cut the butter into slices and put on top. Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes or until gold and bubbly. Serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream.

32 The Emily August 22, 2010 at 11:28 pm

So I thought that first picture was your son…but somebody commented and said girl…so now I don’t know. Either way, it looks exactly like YOU.

33 Anne August 23, 2010 at 8:37 am

Lucky you! We are blessed with peaches here in Central Texas, but I don’t have my very own peach tree. If you get tired of peaches & peach desserts, chop up some peaches with red onion, cilantro, roma tomatoes, and lime juice. Eat with lots of tortilla chips.

34 Katie August 23, 2010 at 9:03 am

SWEET GLORY! Can I really come get some!?!?! I’d be over this afternoon to take some off your hands.

I usually make a trip every year over to Palisades to get me a case but if they’re just going to fall off your tree and go to waste it would break my heart!

35 Alisha August 23, 2010 at 9:52 am

Yum-O! I’ve been buying fresh peaches and other fruits and making baby food for our daughter. It’s really not hard and she actually prefers it over the other organic stuff I buy. Too bad we live in Ga or I’d totally take you up on your offer. Hope the kiddos are having a great time @ school!

36 Farmgirl Susan August 23, 2010 at 10:46 am

Those peaches are gorgeous! I’m so envious of your spectacular tree. And what perfect summer family photos. :)

37 Stacie Smith August 23, 2010 at 8:02 pm

We’ll come! We can’t get enough peaches.

38 Carey Elaine August 25, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Drooling over your photos of peaches and dreaming of late September when I’ll be planting my tree in the backyard. May we be as blessed as you with such a harvest!

39 kaela d. August 26, 2010 at 9:34 pm

so is that an open invitation to us denver readers? haha kidding…but so glad colorado is treating your family well. you are so lucky to have such an abundance of peaches…..reminds me of the song “peaches”

go listen to it here