First Day of School

August 16, 2010

And so it begins.

Awake at 6:30. Chores. Guitar, Trombone and Piano practice. Then breakfast (French Toast) and family prayer.

The middle schoolers went out the door at 7:30. The elementary school kids at 8:20.

My favorite find during Back to School clothes shopping? These Paul Frank underpants for Oscar.

P.S. — You can learn more about my family in two recent interviews. Momtastic asked for my thoughts on kid-friendly decor. And Gwen asked about my love story with Ben Blair (warning: my boldness may shock you).

1 liz September 6, 2006 at 10:27 am

cute! I want to be that mom when Zane goes to school. Maybe Jones Soda instead of coffee, though. ;-)

2 c jane September 6, 2006 at 12:58 pm

I love it.

3 liz s September 6, 2006 at 6:18 pm

such a cute idea. i would start it here but i have a feeling the bums would eat all the donuts and i’d be too scared to stop them

4 Girl con Queso September 6, 2006 at 7:44 pm

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing.

And I love your new header!

5 Mom in Mendon September 7, 2006 at 2:17 pm

What great neighbors. Any pictures? I mean, it’s no longer enough that you gather the school supplies, pack their lunches, and dress them well. Now you have to photograph and post, too! xoxox

6 Shannan September 8, 2006 at 1:22 pm

Super fun. My neighborhood is really close to school so all the kids are walkers. We could gather together and have treats and then all walk togetherr!!!

7 Chris August 16, 2010 at 11:05 am

Your boldness rocks it. By the way, I was catching up on posts I missed and the one on your lopsided ladies was fantastic–laugh out loud fun!

8 Design Mom August 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Thanks, Chris! Glad you liked my lopsided post.

9 Ashlea Walter August 16, 2010 at 11:54 am

Ha! What does Oscar think of you showing the world what underwear he wears? Hee hee. Happy beginning of school to your lovelies and you! Bittersweet, no?

10 Design Mom August 16, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Like many males I know, Oscar would be delighted to spend all day every day in nothing but underwear. Naked would be even better. : )

11 Jessica August 16, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Happy 1st day of school. Hope it’s an easy transition for all of you.

I loved your Love Story. My husband and I held hands on our first date and we each thought the other initiated it. I guess it was mutual. ;)

12 Bree Harris August 16, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I always found the first day of school exciting! A brand new outfit, shoes, fresh school supplies, new teachers, and seeing friends you hadn’t seen all summer. I hope your angels are enjoying their first day back!

13 Design Mom August 16, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I agree! The kids had a hard time going to sleep last night because of all the excitement.

14 heather August 16, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Love the Love Story!!! :-)

15 Design Mom August 16, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Thanks, Heather. It was fun to write it up.

16 Kim August 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Underpants! That one word has my three year old in fits of laughter! (Nice hand-holding story too!)

17 Design Mom August 16, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Hah! I can never decide which word I prefer: underwear, underpants or panties.

18 Bri (like the cheese) August 17, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Underpants, hands down. I’ve always been squeamish about the ‘p’ word!!

19 Michelle Z. August 23, 2010 at 6:07 am

I still refer to my son’s underpinings as “panties”, only because I know he won’t allow it for much longer.

I also refer to my husband’s underpinings as “panties” because I know it annoys him.

20 Michelle Z. August 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Ha Ha! I just realized I misspelled “underpinNings” twice!

Hmmm…or maybe I invented a new term. Underpinings = sad panties.

21 Amy3 August 16, 2010 at 1:08 pm

What a sweet brand of boldness! Love it!

22 Erin August 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm

…and yet you still have time to blog and share with us! Amazing! Love the undies. Can you share the source?

23 Design Mom August 16, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Aren’t those adorable!? I found them at Target.

24 Joanne Dalrymple August 16, 2010 at 1:50 pm

would love to see pics of any other cute outfits you found….. in your spare time that is ;)
thanks for such a wonderful blog! i love stopping by and reading your posts!

25 Rachel August 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I read your “love” story over at Gwen in Love, and what can I say? You ARE bold, and sometimes a little boldness is what it takes when you’re in love, no?

26 Damaris August 16, 2010 at 3:11 pm

loved your love story . I remember having a similar experience. I thought holding hands meant nothing but my husband thought it was HUGE. So one night we were watching a movie (this is before we were dating) and I told him I wanted to give him a hand massage and after a couple minutes I held on to his hand. We were both blushing for the remainder of the movie

27 Corinne August 16, 2010 at 3:12 pm

So lovely! the underpants too! but love master plans working out better ;}
Hiking is where my husband and i shared our affections for one another too…hiking in the woods is magical and romantic.

28 hyzen August 16, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Cute undies! :) And I’m just impressed that you are up at 6:30 and are able to have multiple children out the door by 7:30, AFTER chores and practice and breakfast. I’m often up at 6:30, and I have ONE 2 year old, and we’re doing well if we make it out the door by 8:30. Sheesh, I really need to work on streamlining the morning routine.

29 Sandy August 16, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Here’s something I never thought I’d say: I love Oscar’s underwear!

30 Amy {giftofgreen} August 16, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Date story….whatever! I’m shocked at the amount of stuff you family accomplishes before 8:20! Do tell your secret!!

31 Tanya August 16, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Wow! I can’t believe it is back to school! In Canada the kiddies don’t go back until September! PS Paul Frank makes great underwear!

32 UpsideUp August 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Bawdy story, Gab!!!

33 Kelley August 16, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Oh man am I jealous that your middle schoolers don’t leave the house until 7:30. For me, both Middle and High School STARTED at 7:25!

34 lakshmi August 17, 2010 at 5:14 am

7:30 and 8:20 ? gosh you guys are good. We left for my son’s preschool at 9:15 ( it starts at 9)…we got done with a huge tantrum from 8 – 8:30 , after which came breakfast and bath and then a bike ride to school after ! Mornings are crazy :)
Lovely story about you and Ben ….Bold ? yes.. but you had to do it :)

35 Torrie @ a place to share... August 17, 2010 at 9:06 am

If only 12 year old boys still liked to wear Paul Frank underwear.

{sigh} :)

36 Torrie @ a place to share... August 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

& congratulations on making it through the 1st day- onto schedules and homework!

37 Bethany B. August 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Um.. I L-O-V-E those rockin underwear! I miss “back to school” time. My little ones are still too little, but I can’t wait. eee!

38 Trina McNeilly August 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Love the underwear. How do you get all that done with all those kids before school? I’m asking in hopes that you will do a post on it. Share your secrets please!
x Trina

39 Freida August 18, 2010 at 4:27 am

Just read your sweet lovestory!
Good luck for the first week of school, we still have 2 weeks here in France to get the kids ready…meaning the end of summer here, boohoo!
Funky underwear, my son would adore!

40 melissa stover August 18, 2010 at 8:35 pm

what a lovely love story!

41 Adventures In Babywearing August 19, 2010 at 10:06 am

Happy Anniversary! Love the hand-holding story!! Also, I’m not sure if it’s too sacred to share here, but I’m very interested in how you go about your family prayer.

Steph

42 M. Peterson August 19, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I love, LOVE, love your interview on Gwen in Love! I just recently found your blog and, hopefully I’m not sounding creepy here, have just felt so drawn to your personality from the first read. All your kids, their wonderful names (I found you through You Can’t Call It ‘It’), your sense of humor and humility, and your fabulous eye for design (of course). While I am not LDS, I grew up with some of my very best friends being members of the Church and this story just reminded me so much of them…right down to the hike and having to hold a boy’s hand. You and your Ben Blair are just so awesomely cute. I wish you many many more years of happiness!

43 Sara August 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I love the story of you and Ben Blair! How fun to hear the origin of your inspirational family!

Also. I can’t believe your kids all do their instrument practice in the morning! Wow. That is a a great way to fit it into the schedule, but I’m amazed that you can make it happen. Are you all morning people ;)?

44 Michelle August 19, 2010 at 3:17 pm

The undies are too cute, I just picked up the girl’s version for my daughter with the days of the week, amazing how exciting it can be to get dressed in the morning ;)

45 MomJonz August 25, 2010 at 9:19 pm

wow, you get alot done the 1st hour. You have inspired me.