Book of the Week: Comic Books for Younger Kids

July 27, 2010

For this week’s book entry, I’m going to send you to elsewhere. Jenny & Andy had their 8-year-old daughter, Phoebe, write up a review of her favorite comic books (with rankings!). The reviews are adorable:

“Whoever likes mystery stories and gangsters and people like that should read Tintin. It’s about a little boy who tries to catch a lot of bad guys. He has a white dog named Snowy. Ummm. My favorite one is… I can’t pick a favorite. Daddy, before you write this, tell the people that I thought of all this, okay?”

The whole post opened my eyes to a book world I’m only vaguely aware of. I can’t wait to look closer. Jenny promises that much of the illustration work is Art with a capital A — like the image above. Are your kids into comic books? I keep thinking Ralph would adore them, but he’s never really been introduced.

1 Sherry Berrett July 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Shannon and Dean (her husband) Hale wrote an adorable graphic novel about Repunzel that is very steam-punk, girl-power. The illustrations (done by Nathan Hale) are just great. It’s good for boys and girls.

2 Sandra Gonzales July 27, 2010 at 1:54 pm

My daughter loves the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. Now she’s reading the Dork Diaries. The comics are too funny.

3 bdaiss July 27, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Interesting! I’ve never much been into comic books, although we have a good friend who is a collector. Only ones I have are the Dark Tower ones Stephen King put out. Because I collect SK stuff. : ) But graphic stories are great for getting reluctant readers back to the books! What a great idea to have kid reviews!

4 bdaiss July 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Oh, and yes, of the ones I’ve seen they definitely qualify as Art-with-a-capital-A.

5 aneelee July 27, 2010 at 2:18 pm

we (the mom and dad) read lots of comic books and regular books at home so our 6yo daughter’s reading binges go in and out of comics. our biggest obstacle has been finding non-fantasy themed comics, as she is not a fan.

6 Jenny July 27, 2010 at 3:39 pm

My 4 and 6 year old children love graphic novels and comic books. Rapunzel’s Revenge and Calamity Jack are faves, as well as Owly, Tiny Titans, and the Babymouse books.

7 Amy {giftofgreen} July 27, 2010 at 6:47 pm

There are a ton of “graphic novels” these days with all types for all levels of readers. As a school librarian, and as some of your commenters meantioned, I find that my “reluctant readers” enjoy checking these titles out. Sometimes because they are more spatial learners, but sometimes they think that graphic novels will not be as challenging. In fact, graphic novels are challenging because they force the reader to “fill in the blank” between cells and the vocabulary can still be quite challenging. Check out Baby Mouse by Jenni Holm (who dreams in pink), Benny and Penny (http://www.toonbooks.com/book_bpno_about.php) or even graphic nonfiction novels (oxymoran, I know) by Capstone Press.

8 Clistyb July 27, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I went to jr & high school with a very talented illustrator and writer. Scott Morse. He has done many comic books, Ralph may like The Magic Pickle series.
I recently watched this special on History Channel. Wow, never did I think I would be so intrigued in the history of comic
books. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/176-0139679-2473377?a=B000AABKZE

9 Andrea -- StuffWeMake.com July 27, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Thanks for the pointer to Phoebe’s comic reviews. The summer doldrums set in today, and my seven year old claims that she has nothing to read. This is the girl who pores over the Sunday comics each week, so I’m going to follow up on some of Phoebe’s recommendations.

Here’s a comic strip my seven year old drew (at church!) the other day–

10 CMN July 28, 2010 at 10:52 am

Comic books… love! I’ve never been a fan of the super hero/grown-up comics either, no… it’s all about the kid titles. Richie Rich, Dot, Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge… you know, the classics for kids. :-) I really love that my nieces and nephews — who all have inherited a wonderful love, nay, thirst!, for books — enjoy them as well. They’re just good fun.

I was introduced to a delightful new company at the D23 Expo last year – Boom! Kids. Really entertaining — including a series of The Muppets as Robin Hood. Hilarious and creative! (http://www.boom-kids.com/)

11 Jessica July 28, 2010 at 11:25 am

You should have Ralph read Bone by Jeff Smith. It’s a fantastic comic book series for kids or “young adults”

12 Tiffany July 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm

My son loves this style book. Thanks for the lead!!!

13 Ann July 28, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Yes, my 8 year old son is enjoying Bone, has a subscription to scooby doo, and digs transformers comics. We are lucky to have two amazing comic book stores near us and it is such a treat to go there with them. I’m planning on getting TinTin at the library soon by recommendation of a teacher/friend. Thanks for posting this!!

14 Stacie Smith July 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Another vote for “Rapunzel’s Revenge” by Shannon Hale. Wish she had others. My daughter loved reading it and would suggest it to anyone and everyone.

15 Hannah August 3, 2010 at 7:58 pm

My son loves both of Shannon Hale’s books (Rapunzel’s Revenge and Calamity Jack). He also enjoyed the Mouse Guard graphic novels, the Asterix ones, and is now into the Bone books. All recommended for Ralph!

16 Julie August 3, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Henry has been loving a book called “Strange Stories for Strange Kids” that has (obviously) fairly odd stories by the likes of Maurice Sendak and Art Speigelman. There’s even a David Sedaris story illustrated by Ian Falconer (of the Olivia books). Some are fairly straightforward and some are quite honestly blowing his almost-7-year-old mind. Get it out of the library if you can find it!

17 Marnie August 4, 2010 at 6:33 pm

my daughter (age 7) adores this book, and reads it to her 3 year old brother constantly.

18 Martha August 9, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Bone by Jeff Smith is all the rage now. Loved by both children and adults everywhere.

19 Marcie August 9, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I keep meaning to ask my husband for some recommendations for you. He loves comic books, and as an artist, I can definitely see the merit in literature and art so closely combined. Many of the major comic book production companies are big into books just for kids. In fact, Toys R Us will soon be carrying kid friendly comic books in their stores. Be careful though, when you go to a comic book shop – you’d think any Batman book would be suitable for children, but I have seen some very graphic books! Most of them have ratings now, which helps out parents looking for something for their kiddos!