Ask Design Mom: Growth Chart

July 12, 2010

Ask Design Mom Question:
I’m searching for a stylish, fun, and reasonably priced growth chart for my little one.  Any suggestions for where I might look? Thanks! — Erin

Design Mom Answer:
Great question, Erin! One of my favorite growth charts is this little boxed kit from Miss Natalie. I love the texture of the burlap. But if it’s out of your “reasonably priced” definition, take a look at more options on etsy (here’s the search I use). This ruler one is simple and great and only $12.00.

What about you, Dear Readers? Any favorite growth charts you’d like to recommend?

1 Rachel Doniger July 12, 2010 at 12:36 pm

We have the studio one measure me stick and LOVE it!

2 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I don’t think I’ve heard of that one. Off to google it…

3 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Just checked it out. It’s great!

4 Mara July 12, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Tiny Sprouts makes a cute one. But, it wasn’t in my “affordable” category so I did my best to create my own:

5 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Too funny, Mara! I posted about the Tiny Sprouts growth chart over on Babble today: http://blogs.babble.com/family-style/2010/07/12/a-stylish-growth-chart-youll-want-to-keep-forever/

6 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Also. Yours turned out darling!

7 vanessa @ silly eagle books July 12, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I love this printable vintage measuring tape from Just Something I Made:

8 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Cathe is the best! The giant tape measure is fantastic. So glad you shared the link, Vanessa.

9 leslie July 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm

my sister just posted her ruler growth chart, with a link to purchase, today! here’s the link.

10 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Ha! I wonder what inspired all the growth chart posts. Love it.

11 erin July 12, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Just FYI–Joann Fabric sells the material that the pictured growth chart is made of. It’s usually called upholstery webbing, comes with brown stripes or red stripes, and costs about 1.00/yd. Seems like you could make your own pretty easily (and much cheaper!) I used the same webbing years ago to weave a hallway runner, which came out very cool.

12 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Great idea, Erin. I’d love to see a photo of your runner.

13 erin July 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Martha’s photos are so much nicer than mine! Here is the project that I used as a guide:

I didn’t like the glue gun idea. I sewed mine together instead. :)

14 Stephanie July 12, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I created one for my friend’s 2 year old. His name is Bodhi (like the tree) so I customized it by making a tree banner for his room. I have a free template download & tutorial on my blog: http://stephanieisgettingmarried.blogspot.com/2010/03/diy-growth-chart-tutorial.html

15 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I love that “Bodhi” has a Tree banner. Perfect.

16 Tina July 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I’ve seen that boxed kit before and it is super cute. I have not used a growth chart, but we do something a little similar to keep track. Every year on his birthday we take a picture of him in one of his Papa’s dress shirts. We just took his 3rd one in March. It’s already really cool to see how much he has grown. I have them framed in a series in his room and a black and white magnet made out of each one that I keep on the refrigerator.
Best,
Tina

17 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Oh! That is such a cute idea, Tina. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anything like it. So smart!

18 bdaiss July 14, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I love this idea! I might have to steal it for my baby girl. How cute to have a baby girl growing in her papa’s shirt?

19 Angel July 12, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Yes! I searched for over a year for a growth chart that would fit our style. This is my favorite, but ended up having a local artist paint something for me. I have pictures – I’ll post them soon.

Here’s the link (or two) to my favorite growth chart on the Internet:

and

I like how it’s artwork on one side and a growth chart on the other.

20 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Angel. Those are adorable. Great finds!

21 stephanie July 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm

ha! how funny. my sister is right, i just posted my ruler growth chart today. i love it! abbie’s house isn’t going to know what hit her. :)

22 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I heart that ruler, Stephanie!

23 Missy July 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Great minds think alike! We just posted a fun DIY wood growth chart idea over at HowDoesShe.com today, here is the link http://www.howdoesshe.com/wood-growth-chart
All these ideas are so FUN!

24 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I can not believe how many growth chart blog posts there are today. Hilarious!

25 Mom in Mendon July 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm

If you own your home, dedicating a door jamb to marking growth is a good family tradition.. I’ve seen versions of it in lots of families.

26 Design Mom July 12, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I totally mentioned our door jamb chart in my Babble post. It was great.

27 grace July 12, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Very nice. I need to get one for my little weeds. :)

28 naomi July 12, 2010 at 9:27 pm

My parents did all their own woodwork when they built their house a few years ago and my dad painted an extra piece of trim the same color and attached it to the inside of the framing in the big doorway between their kitchen and their living/dining room. They measure all the grandchildren on that board each year, and should they ever break our hearts by moving again, they can take that piece off and take it with them.

29 Heidi July 13, 2010 at 5:30 am

Oh, I love these ideas! The boxed kit and giant tape tutorial are fabulous ideas. And Naomi – how sweet is your story! I recently saw a lovely one from Studio1am on Etsy and my friend has a great one from Kikkerland.

30 Tabitha (From Single to Married) July 13, 2010 at 8:46 am

love this heirloom growth chart – what a great idea! I’ve been in the market for one and had just decided to make my own since most of them are expensive or are decals. I’d rather have something that’s easily moved and something I can keep.

31 Andrea July 13, 2010 at 10:00 am

I’m all for using the door jamb inside a closet. But I think it’s good to do a growth chart on a long board screwed to the wall. Even if you mean to stay in a house forever, you never know when you may need to move…

While we’re on the topic of growth charts, I LOVE the part in Toy Story 3 where Andy marks the height of his toys on his growth chart. Why not mark the height of favorite toys, pets? There’s nothing else going on that low down on the growth chart anyway!

32 Kim July 13, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I made one for each of my kids–just painted a 1×10 inch board that we’d cut to be 4 feet long (it goes from 18 inches to 5.5 feet), marked every 6 inches, and then used the wood cutouts from Micheals that you can get 4 for $1, which I painted in colors to match their room (one has an ocean theme, the other a garden, in coordinating colors though since they currently share a room). I wrote their names on the top, using a font I liked (printed it out in the correct size, used tracing paper to mark it on the board and then filled it in with sharpie.) It’s fun to have custom ones and really wasn’t that difficult.

33 bdaiss July 14, 2010 at 1:12 pm

We started marking the kids on a wall in our new house, just like my parents and my husband’s parents have done. But I’m liking the idea of using a board – then I can paint the room without worry! I’ve never found a growth chart I totally fell in love with. And I like having everyone on one chart. But I guess I’m off to click on all these fab links. Who knows, I just might find one!

34 Amy July 27, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I have one similar and love it!

35 Alisha Brady July 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I make and sell mine to friends of friends. You can see some pics on Facebook if you search and become a fan of 2PoshMoms. I hope to have the pics posted on my blog soon at bloggingbrady-alisha.blogspot.com. I usually make and sell them cheaper than most people, for about $50.00.