Old Glory Antiques Fair

June 21, 2010

We’ve been in Denver for a year now and sometimes I’m embarrassed by how little I know the area. So I’ve made a goal to remedy that fact. On Saturday we stopped by the Old Glory Antiques Fair — apparently, it’s a Father’s Day Weekend tradition in our area. We actually arrived just after it ended and spent a lovely hour exploring and visiting with vendors as they packed up their goods.

I really like snapping photos at antique shops. Something about slighty rusty/industrial items always appeal to me.

To encourage myself to explore my new home, I was thinking it would be fun to have a weekly or twice monthly column where I explore a new-to-me event or destination here in Denver (and surrounding area). If you do the same in your town, we could write up blog reports and share our links here. We could call it Love The Place You Live (or something) and get to know our communities better. What do you think? Would a series like this be interesting to you?

1 Ashley June 21, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I also live in Denver…been here about 3 years and still don’t feel like I know about the place where I live.
I think this sounds like a great idea! I’d be interested in particpating and I’d love to go to some of the places you find and visit!

2 Natalie Sterling June 21, 2010 at 12:48 pm

That sounds like a great idea because I think we are moving to Denver next year! I’ll be so in-the-know!

3 Katie June 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm

We did a similar thing when we relocated to Denver 2 years ago. Some friends who were also new to town had the idea of spending one Saturday a month exploring a new neighborhood within the metro area (but mainly in actual Denver). We spent lots of time exploring little “main streets” and finding small, hidden parks. We feel like we know our city much better!

4 Alicia June 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Oh that sounds so lovely! Like a travel guide, but way more intimate! I would maybe, probably participate monthly or so. Life just gets so busy, but I love the idea.

5 laura June 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Yes, please! I’d be interested in sharing my love for Sweet Home Chicago.

6 Jan (Family Bites) June 21, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Oh, sounds fun! I’m in Toronto and would love to share little secrets of my city.

7 Suzanne from pretty*swell June 21, 2010 at 1:29 pm

LOVE, love, love this idea! In fact, I just made plans with my sister to check out a new festival at our downtown farmer’s market this week. So much goes on here (NC), and I’m always looking for an excuse to explore.

I must say, I’ve been away on vacation without web access for the last week and I missed your blog!

Adore these photos. Makes me want to hit the flea market this weekend.

xo!

8 christy June 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I love that idea. I’ll take it on – for Philly! But I’m afraid your photos will always be way cooler than mine – but I’ll get it my best shot!

9 Jenny June 21, 2010 at 1:42 pm

That fair had the best stuff – I’m so jealous! Those antique fans, the typewriter, love it all. Please continue to share!

10 Liz Stanley June 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Oooh that looks like so much fun!

11 Jessica June 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Gorgeous photos! And great idea to get to know your community.

12 Kate June 21, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Great idea – nothing like sharing the love for your ‘hood. I’m in San Francisco and while I’ve been here a while, I feel like I’ve become a hermit since having babies. I’m up for the challenge!

13 Erin June 21, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I do like that idea. We are in Minneapolis and I’m not native here; after three years, I’ve done quite a bit, but there’s so many things I haven’t done or seen and want to. This summer we’re making a goal to do map out things to do and plonk them on a calendar. That way, when we get to the end of the summer, we’ll know we actually took advantage of this time of year. Of course, there’s bound to be a fair amount of plan-changing–in the form of an extremely fussy three-month-old–but I’m excited.

I feature things like this all the time on my blog–and if you do the series, it would even make me tempted to make my private blog public!

14 Kayt June 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I would love it! Especially family friendly outings. I’ve lived in Denver for an embarassing amount of time, and I go to my two or three same chain haunts.

15 Gina June 21, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Sounds fun! I would love to do some posts on my town (although I’m currently mad at them for raising my taxes again!)

16 erin June 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Great idea! Would love to get the local insight on cities that we can visit…And, if you’re looking for someone to share a little about St. Louis, I’d be willing to volunteer…

17 abby June 21, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I pretty much try to do this with my own blog so I’d be SO down.
Especially since we just moved to Austin :)

18 Stacey H June 21, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I love the idea… it would be interesting to see what treasures different towns have just for fun but also as a potential mini travel guide. For example, I am in Nashville and have been wanting to visit New Orleans and would love some help finding great spots. And I read your blog daily anyway, so why not get the info here?? :)

19 Jade June 21, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Great idea! My city – Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada – would probably be of little interest to most, but we do have some amazing events and sources here!

20 Jessica June 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm

That is a great idea! I recently moved to a new area in St. Louis…I definitely need to get out and explore.

And, that antique fair looked awesome…the metal R and blue cabinet are to die for!

21 Josephene June 21, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I think it’s a great idea. I’ve also been trying to find new places to explore with my toddler here in Calgary AB. I look forward to your new places! (and the antiques look amazing)

22 Jessie June 21, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Fun! San Antonio is ripe for something like this.

23 Christina June 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I’d love this! I’m pretty bad about getting out and doing things (even here in awesome Chicago!), so I would love this!

24 Stephanie June 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Yes, yes, yes. I think that’s a fun idea. Keep me posted Gabrielle!

25 Natalie June 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Great idea! Zach is always finding things around town that we can do together. Now that we are in Boulder we are SO excited to explore! I would love to do this!

26 Selena@Howaboutcookie June 21, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Gorgeous pics! Love that teal cabinet.

I think that’s a great idea… I love the camaraderie of blog consortium-writing. Er, whatever you call it. My brain is fried after a full day in the office.

27 Ashlynn June 21, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Love the idea of sharing goings on in your areas! I go to events all week but I have to search several websites to see what there is to do & what free. The locals don’t ever have a clue but I think since we are new to this town & have no family near we take advantage of everything!

28 Ms. Amy June 21, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Lovely idea. We’ve been in the Detroit metro area for just a year, and have been remiss in really exploring all the options out there.

29 Tanya June 21, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Oh I wish I was there right now. So many great finds!

30 vanessa @ silly eagle books June 21, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I’d love a series like this!

31 Laura June 21, 2010 at 3:54 pm

What a great idea! It would encourage me to get out in the heat and explore! I’m sure there’s a ton we still haven’t done in Dallas.

32 Kristen June 21, 2010 at 3:55 pm

And why didn’t I know about this fair when I lived in Denver? Bummer.

33 Esther June 21, 2010 at 4:02 pm

That is a wonderful idea! I’d love to share also… we’re in the New Jersey/New York area.

34 Harmony June 21, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I love this idea!!

Our family just moved to Denver from Hawaii and I’m loving all the activities in this area!!

35 naomi June 21, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I LOVE this idea. Someone local to the area always has the best insights. Even the places I may never get to visit, I would still love to read about them. We have been just outside of Nashville now for a little over 10 years, and I love discovering new places and things to do. It’s a great, family-oriented place to live.

36 Emme June 21, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Oh I love reading about other cities, especially cities near us! I would submit some great spots in LA, but there might be people who are more hipster-ish who would be better suited!

37 Tammy June 21, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I think that’s a great idea! We moved to Northern Nevada nearly three years ago but still feel like we’re new here. For my new year’s resolution I came up with a list of 10 “Nevada” things to do this year, but I still have only done three. Yikes!

38 simone June 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I’d love that too. I have a list in my notebook of places I want to go see locally during the summer (since we’re not really going on vacation and we need some exciting day trips to keep us going!) Great idea!

39 Anna June 21, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Fantastic post! Love, love the photos.

40 Bri June 21, 2010 at 6:04 pm

ACK! That blue pie chest with the chicken wire doors….I am smitten.

I went to graduate school in Chicago. My tiny class of 7 made a list of must-do/sees for the three years we were there. I don’t know that anyone checked everything off, but it was nice to have a reminder of all the fun things to do when we were looking for something. Of course, we discovered more, little-known secrets along the way. Now I live in Cookeville, Tennessee. Look it up, it’s teeny. And I still don’t know all of the fun stuff to do around here but I discover something new from time to time and this it’s a great idea to ‘get to know’ your town.

41 DeeAnna June 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I also live in the Denver area and had no idea about the Old Glory Antiques Fair. Where have I been?! I would love a Denver series!

42 Lisa D. June 21, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I am in NYC, upper Manhattan, and love the idea too. Would love to share if you need someone from this area!

43 Megan June 21, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I am from Ohio and one of the reasons I started my blog was to explore all that the midwest has to offer. I love this idea!

44 ~j. June 21, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I would LOVE to participate in something like that. Provo was supposed to have been a temporary stop in my life’s journey, and I’ve lived here almost 14 years now. I’ve moved through the trendy This-Town-Is-Lame attitude so prevalent amongst students, and really, REALLY love where I live.

I could go on and on.

45 Sarah June 21, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I’d love a series like this! Great idea!!!

46 Hannah June 21, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I’d love to participate — we live in Austin and I already write a monthly column on family outing ideas for a local magazine. Just say the word!

47 Gundostad May 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Aloha!yoqf! http://anjqgn.com ggljj xrhcw

48 Erin June 21, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I too think this is a fun idea. I would be willing to share things about New Mexico.

49 Emily J. Ridgway June 21, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Hey Gabrielle,

First of all, I love this post! The images are beautiful and your idea for sharing our cities is fantastic! My husband Brian and I were just talking about this over the weekend. We are trying to really explore our new city of Cincinnati since we arrived in cold and extra snowy (this year) January. We miss Denver – it was sooo beautiful! Enjoy it!

Secondly, I am dying for that big letter “R” in the 4th photo. So glad you shared this…. it is giving me some great ideas for personalizing our little apartment space.

Take care!

50 Ransacked Goods June 21, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I think it’s an excellent idea! We have have hidden treasures in our home town that are worth sharing.

51 Maggie June 21, 2010 at 9:40 pm

This is a great idea! My hubby and I just moved to the Highlands Neighborhood of Denver this month! I would love to contribute to brush up on my photog skills and get out to see this amazing city!

52 Serena June 21, 2010 at 9:59 pm

We were there Saturday too…we almost bought those black stools! Be sure to visit the Old Glory store in the Streets of Southglenn, it’s full of pretties.

53 Emily June 21, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I want that Hutch and all three of those chairs!
WHY DO I LIVE SO FAR AWAY???

54 damaris June 21, 2010 at 11:10 pm

yes I would love something like this. I have a goal that i wrote down on a piece of notebook paper on a Wednesday morning when my son was being super whinny. It says “GOAL: explore my town as if I’m a tourist. Go to the library to get guide books, prepare my camera, and ready? set- go!” I have it hanging up on the wall. I haven’t done it yet, blah!!! I want to though and if we and more people do it together it will be fabulous. I’m getting very excited, can you tell. I live in Santa Cruz, California such a fun place.

55 Dana June 22, 2010 at 7:44 am

Yes! Sign me up! I love this idea :) Although I’ve grown up in Northwest Indiana, there are still so many things I’ve yet to do here and having putting on my list. And I’m also interested in what is going on where you all live, too :)

56 jessica June 22, 2010 at 7:59 am

I’m in too! I’m not much for shopping, but we are good nature explorers. I’ll share all my favorite natural places to let my littles run wild here in the Denver metro area!

57 Miss B June 22, 2010 at 8:10 am

What a fabulous idea! i would love to participate in something like this. I love my current hometown!

58 Jessica Hess June 22, 2010 at 8:18 am

I would love this. I am in your area. I obviously have a lot to learn, I have lived her most of my life and I have never heard of this Father’s Day event. I know of a couple of flea markets in my part of town, but there is either nothing good, or what is good is super over priced. I would love to score some furniture for a great price and fix it up myself. I love to paint, and alter, and be crafty. Thanks for all the inspiration on this fun blog!:-)

59 Torrie @ a place to share... June 22, 2010 at 8:30 am

Hello,
I’ve been reading your blog for quite sometime, and I have not yet commented (sorry about that! I was trying to get my own blog up and running, which took more time than I expected…but now it’s all set up and in “motion” so I can do what I love best- read and comment:)). I love, love, love your blog and your style of writing. Even though you have so many followers- and a new follower could feel as though they were an uninvited guest- this is NOT the case. You create an environment- by the tone you set- that is welcoming and warm…one that someone like me does not feel uninvited, or late to the party…but instead a fully welcomed guest.

By the way, I love this idea and I can’t wait to dig into your archives and see your highlighted posts (in your about section) as well. I’ve already done a little digging, but not nearly as much as I’d like…seeing as though there’s a lot of little (and big) treasures to dig for!

60 kirwin @ Graceful Creative June 22, 2010 at 8:40 am

It sounds like a lovely idea! We are moving to the Central Coast (California) in less than a week, so a monthly column would inspire me to poke around my new town.

61 Janssen June 22, 2010 at 9:26 am

I LOVE this idea – what a great plan!

62 Katie June 22, 2010 at 10:30 am

Yes, do it!
I wish I had known about this fair. We went the the Animal Sanctuary on Saturday in Hudson. It was a free day, but by the time we got there, they weren’t letting any more people see the animals. So we drove 1.5 hours total to see nothing really. Ah well.

63 Sarah June 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm

We’ve been in San Antonio for a few years, and this sounds pefect!

64 Zom G. June 22, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Oh Goody! Yes! I love learning about good, local fun off the beaten path. It is like my mini-passion. I suspect there is a ton around me that doesn’t get advertised, so I would love to play along. Old Glory looks enviable…I didn’t even know I was dreaming of that blue bookcase, but I was!

65 Joyful Imperfection June 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I am moving to Atlanta in 1 week! Coming from little Tallahassee I am super excited about the vast increase in shopping and antique options. Definitely looking forward to exploring, would love to do this on my blog and drop you a link too!

66 kimberly June 22, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I’m in. I was raised a city girl in Seattle, but now reside in small town idaho not far from Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Frankly, I think idaho gets a bad rape some of the time!

67 kimberly June 22, 2010 at 12:43 pm

ok. I meant “rap”. So sorry.

68 bdaiss June 22, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I LOVE the idea! Partly because we trek to Denver probably 3-4 times a year. I’d love to get past the Bronco games, botanical gardens, childrens museum, and aquarium/zoo.

69 kirsten bingham June 22, 2010 at 3:58 pm

i would LOVE this! i’m from denver and have lots of great stuff to share with you. i now live in rexburg for a bit and could share some idaho stuff! (though i don’t necessarily LOVE where i live!) good thing we’re moving to denver in 5 months!

70 Lauriel June 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Sounds fun! I am in Bellingham and would love to participate!

71 craftyashley June 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I simply cannot stop thinking “there is no way those croquet balls are vintage, antique, or anything! I own a full set of those babies- they’re from Sam’s Club or something!”

But a great idea, yes!

72 emily June 22, 2010 at 5:40 pm

We’ve lived just outside Boulder for 10 years. I’ve never heard of the Old Glory Antiques Fair. I’m so sad to have missed it. I’d love to participate in community blogging.

73 emilycurfew June 22, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Hi there! i’m new to your blog. i just moved to the Carlsbad/Encinitas area in southern california two months ago, and i’ve been exploring my new area and finding lots of pretty and fun stuff. i’ve been posting about alot of the new places i go on my blog. white-bean.blogspot.com

i would love to participate in something like this.

74 Lea Zwettler June 22, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I would love to do that for Madison, WI. What a superb idea!!

75 brenna June 23, 2010 at 8:52 am

has it really been a year?? Wow. I would absolutely love that kind of series. We live about an hour and a half south of Denver. I’ve lived here my whole life and still am uninformed about all the new happenings in our area.

76 shelli June 23, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Would love it! I also have lived in Denver for over 2 1/2 years and also feel like I’m still exploring… I didn’t know about the Old Glory Antiques Fair, it looks really wonderful. I’ll have to check it out next year!
Thank you so much!

77 kalanicut June 24, 2010 at 8:18 am

With a long list of things & places I have never seen in SoCal I made a list and whenever we have a few free hours on Saturdays I pick one of the neighborhoods I’d like to see and we head out. It’s been great fun and reminded me that there is so much to do and see besides the same old-same old ruts we get into. I love your idea!

78 Lindsay June 25, 2010 at 7:30 am

I think that’s a fun idea! I did the same when we lived in the midwest, and I haven’t stopped now that we live in Brooklyn. I think that, no matter where you live, or how small the town is, there is always something new and unique to explore.

79 Dana June 25, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Ohhh – I would be happy to cover Calgary, AB and St. Louis, MO!

80 paulette denman June 25, 2010 at 5:01 pm

i’d love to boast about seattle, i’ve been feeling defensive as everyone keeps complaining about this slow-to-start summer here!

81 Jenni Coberly June 25, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I’ve lived in the Denver area for three years and the Old Glory Fair is a summer favorite for our family. My mom came out this year and we found some great stuff. The prices are amazing!! Our favorite vendor is from Nebraska. He has the most beautiful and old furniture! Glad you found it! You will look forward to it each year. I’m sure you already know about the Paris Street Market at Aspen Grove…the first Saturday of every month…May through October.

82 AnneEvans June 26, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I do Mega Summer Weekend posts each week on http://www.ColumbusUnderground.com, a site all about Columbus, Ohio. They are fun and round up a lot of neat and different things to do all summer long during the weekends. :)

83 AnneEvans June 26, 2010 at 6:59 pm
84 Rachel June 28, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Love the idea. I created my blog to highlight events, products and design-focused things in Wisconsin, particularly Madison. And now that I stay home with our one year old, I’ve really been enjoying all that this city has to offer.

85 LLH Designs July 7, 2010 at 10:28 am

I love your “Love The Place You Live” idea! Houston always gets a bad wrap, but there’s so much to love about it when you have eyes to see. This could be a whole separate blog idea with a sidebar featuring every city that’s loved. I’d contribute for my hot, humid, flat but beloved hometown of Houston! xo…Linsey

86 Rochester Mama July 7, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I have a blog dedicated entirely to his topic and discovering my new hometown- Rochester, Minnesota. I’d love to participate if you do something like this.

87 Victoria July 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I would love to participate in this project! I’m intending to explore NB via daytrips this summer anyway and was looking forward to chatting about it on my blog!

88 Shelby February 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I’d love to cover haunts and happenings in Washington, DC for you!

89 Sherrill March 14, 2014 at 7:40 am

If a website is consistently edited to feature links that breach the community
rules inside a bid to add SEO value for individuals or possibly a provider of.

Larger organizations generally have stricter, expressly written rules
on etiquette. * Create and distribute Widgets or Mash-ups using
services like widgetbox, Open Social, or Yahoo Pipes.