June’s Baby Portraits

June 3, 2010

Two weeks ago, between photoshoots in New York and Australia, Wendy from Blue Lily flew in from California for a photoshoot with June.

Wendy is all about color. And I’m a color addict too. So it was a good fit.

Wendy came in with armloads of props and equipment, assessed the light in the house and got right to work. She picked up June and rocked her to sleep. She kept a white-noise app at the ready in case the baby woke. She was super speedy. And clearly a master.

We have never had newborn portraits taken before so I was fascinated with the process. Plus Wendy herself is super-interesting so I kept chatting her up. Finally, I had to hole-up in the office because I was afraid of distracting her while she worked.

While I was keeping busy in the office, Wendy finished up the backdrop shots and tried snapping June in various colorful places around the house. She kept these shots a surprise and it was so fun to see them when she sent the finished photos. This bookshelf shot is terrific.

What do you think about this image? June is so embryo-like. And that bowl was a gift from Ben Blair. It’s my favorite bowl.

Just as Wendy finished clearing up all the photo-shoot-accessories-and-equipment, the rest of my kids came home from their various schools. Although it was really just a Baby June shoot, Wendy graciously snapped some photos of all the kids together at my request. The all-kid shots are so full of energy. Ben Blair and I can’t stop grinning at them.

This last one is perfection — I think it totally captures the craziness-but-happiness that is our household:

What do you think? Will June survive this big family? Have you ever had a newborn photoshoot?

P.S. — If you’re hoping to have a newborn photo session, try to get it scheduled before the baby actually arrives (I highly recommend Blue Lily). I hear the shots are best if taken within the first two weeks of the birth. And don’t worry if it seems too overwhelming to have a photographer at your house when the baby is so young. I was totally in my pjs during the whole shoot. Wendy didn’t mind at all.

1 MyMomShops June 3, 2010 at 4:20 am

These are just amazing. The pictures of June alone are all fantastic and creative (particularly the bookshelf), but I still think my favorite is the one of her being doted on by her big brothers and sisters! Thanks for sharing these.

2 Lauren June 3, 2010 at 5:12 am

“June on a Shelf” is perfect. So frameable.

3 Kim June 3, 2010 at 5:19 am

Love the bookshelf baby!

4 Tina June 3, 2010 at 5:27 am

Those are so beautiful! I love the bookshelf shot! Can I just say I am in awe of your 6 little ones? Seriously…I am overwhelmed with one. I have always wanted a big family, and yours is precious. I did have shots done for mine, but by the time I could wrap my brain around her coming my baby was 6 weeks old. For some reason, I felt like I had to keep him awake the whole time…call it new mama crazies. They turned out beautifully though.

5 Claire June 3, 2010 at 5:34 am

wow. absolutely beautiful photos. i love the bookshelf one (and the way you have your bookshelf set up!!)

6 courtney June 3, 2010 at 5:45 am

those are amazing! baby june is so sweet. I didn’t do newborn photos (even though a photographer friend offered) because I felt so overwhelmed and like I was living in a fog. I totally regret it! I will definitely do them next time around!

7 Tina June 3, 2010 at 5:55 am

WOW, love the pictures, love the one with the whole familly. An I also like the name of the smallest one ( I have too girls, Juno and Flora):)))

8 beth aka confusedhomemaker June 3, 2010 at 5:56 am

My ovaries are aching, adorable. We did a photo shoot in the hospital for D-man (our 4th), it was beautiful. The only thing I wish was that the older children had been there. I really find the pictures of all the kids wonderful. I think June will survive just fine, she has a lot of people who love her dearly. I also joke with my husband that as we’ve added children the younger ones guardian angels have had to work overtime ;)

9 Sara June 3, 2010 at 6:00 am

Lovely… truly. How fortunate you are to know all these amazing people to fill your life with such beauty and fun.

10 Cheryl June 3, 2010 at 6:25 am

truly, truly beautiful. what a wonderful experience for you and your family. I have to say the bookshelf shot is my favorite of the ones you’ve shown us.

11 Carmen June 3, 2010 at 6:27 am

Gabrielle these photos are amazing, the one in the bookshelf is the best! But the one I like the most is the last one, it really captures the tenderness of the kids. Congratulations! and blessings to your beautiful family!

12 Wendy June 3, 2010 at 6:36 am

That last photo IS perfect!

13 Esther June 3, 2010 at 6:45 am

Love these! Love her little mouth!! I am totally planning on having a newborn shoot. We’re lucky… my brother in law is Paul at Paul Francis Photography http://paulfphotography.com/ so our children’s uncle will be doing the first of many photo sessions. And I will most definitely not care about being in my pajamas :)

14 Mary-- The Yellow Door Paperie June 3, 2010 at 7:11 am

O miss June is just beautiful. You are so blessed.

I just can’t get over the lead photos, beautiful. And the bowl from Ben Blair, he sure has taste (:

15 Ashlynn June 3, 2010 at 7:17 am

So sweet that little JUne & love the sibling shots. I had my girls done last week & Ellie pooped on me & pooped on the photographers blankets … I never knew what hard work it wa to photograph a newborn!

16 Emily R. June 3, 2010 at 7:17 am

These are amazing! June looks like such a sweet baby. I LOVE the one of all the kids on the floor!

17 Sandra Gonzales June 3, 2010 at 7:21 am

Are all babies beautiful when they are asleep?
Mine is 11 yrs old but I still watch her sleep sometimes.

18 Tracie June 3, 2010 at 7:40 am

I HATE that I don’t have shots of my babies as newborns. These are FANTASTIC! I love the color and I think my favorite is also the bookshelf shot. Awesome.

19 Shannon June 3, 2010 at 7:40 am

June in the green bowl. That’s the one I liked and then I read the caption and it made it turned to love. Can’t say that the youngest doesn’t get any photos taken of her, which sometimes happens in large families, she will love it.

20 Tiffany June 3, 2010 at 7:55 am

the photos are just darling.

21 elz June 3, 2010 at 7:57 am

Gorgeous. My favorite is the last one with all the kids. I love how malleable newborns are; she really got some neat shots. What a sweet memento of little June.

22 Jeanette from Everton Terrace June 3, 2010 at 7:59 am

Simply divine. What a lovely thing to own. She is just too precious. I was only given one child, can’t imagine what a housefull is like. The sound of all that laughter must lighten your soul. I have that same orange blanket in my house – go Ikea!

23 Jessica Rosario June 3, 2010 at 8:01 am

Oh my, these are perfect, Gabby!!! I love them all especially the one with all the siblings around her overwhelming her with love and admiration :) I know she will survive the big family. I did have a newborn photo shoot and it was fun, simple but still fun. I love your photographers though. They know how to highlight and accentuate the perfect details. Love June on that big bamboo plate with the delicate flower. Adorable. TFS :)

24 carolyn June 3, 2010 at 8:02 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous, GORGEOUS shots! And what an absolutely perfect baby June is … I love the bookshelf shot. I wish I’d had portraits of my kids done when they were small enough to fit in a bowl!

25 meghan June 3, 2010 at 8:09 am

These are gorgeous. I love the use of color and how precious little June looks all by herself. So peaceful when they are asleep! What a great idea and beautiful work!

26 Ashlea Walter June 3, 2010 at 8:10 am

Words fail. Wish you could hear me gasp.

27 Tanya June 3, 2010 at 8:30 am

These shots are incredible!

28 Jessie June 3, 2010 at 8:40 am

Oh my. These are amazing!

29 Kiasa June 3, 2010 at 8:50 am

these are THE most beautiful newborn photos I’ve ever seen. They stirred somethings inside of me. The colors are so amazing!

30 Kiasa June 3, 2010 at 8:51 am

these are THE most beautiful newborn photos I’ve ever seen. They stirred something inside of me. The colors are so amazing!

31 Barchbo June 3, 2010 at 8:56 am

Such sweet and perfect photos – you have me now considering newborn photos!

Of course, I love the shots of all the kids the best – what a wonderful gift for June to be surrounded with all that love! What a blessed little girl!

32 Amy3 June 3, 2010 at 8:57 am

Those are wonderful photos! I’d have trouble choosing a favorite. You have a beautiful family.

33 Eli June 3, 2010 at 8:57 am

I love the photos ,especially the one with the bookcase ,even more so when I saw the Ben Blair book on the shelf above June :)

34 Emily J. Ridgway June 3, 2010 at 9:05 am

Oh my goodness!!!! These are the MOST SPECTACULAR photos!! My favorites are definitely the bookshelf (that’s a given!) and the first one of June in the yellow bowl with the blue blanket and flower branch. How perfect is she?! I love the last one with all the kids. The black & white is awesome too! Great job, Mama — You created a beautiful family.

35 Marissa June 3, 2010 at 9:13 am

Love. Love. Love. the photo shoot. I did one with my new baby as well as the maternity shots. I don’t think I”ll ever regret having captured such a short and fleeting time of life. And I grew up with 6 kids in my family….5 girls and a boy. :P So it IS possible….but that’s more than a blog post comment. :P

36 naomi June 3, 2010 at 9:22 am

Just lovely. She is indeed very talented, and June is completely edible. She’s such a petite little thing.

37 Katie June 3, 2010 at 9:24 am

Absolutely beautiful! My favorites are the first one and the last one. You will cherish these forever!

38 Natalie June 3, 2010 at 9:35 am

Those photos are amazing!!! I love all of them, but especially the book shelf one. Everything I have seen from Blue Lily is to die for!

39 Adventures In Babywearing June 3, 2010 at 9:36 am

that first one- I gasped!!! How special these photos are!

Steph

40 The Emily June 3, 2010 at 9:40 am

Those are sooo amazing! Nicole Hill (Gerulat) took pictures of my Zoe when she was 2 weeks old but they didn’t turn out great. The photography was great, but Zoe was awake and I didn’t have anything for her to wear because she was so tiny, so her long skinny arms were sticking out of a plain white onesie and her wide open eyes were just too newbornish…they just aren’t great. THESE are great.

41 karey m. June 3, 2010 at 9:44 am

why am i all teared up?!

gorgeous, all. love this to the moon.

42 Alicia W. June 3, 2010 at 9:45 am

Love these shots! Wendy is an inspiration to me as an aspiring photographer! I always love her work!

43 Nikki June 3, 2010 at 9:47 am

June is darling. Love the last one with all your babies, and of course the bookshelf and bowl ones. “Life is just a bowl of babies”.

44 Heather June 3, 2010 at 9:48 am

These are so beautiful. I am loving the bookshelf shot the most. It is so nice to have proof of how tiny your babies are because it doesn’t last long.

45 whoorl June 3, 2010 at 9:51 am

I just gasped out loud when I saw these photos. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!

46 Kristin June 3, 2010 at 9:59 am

She’ll not only survive but thrive. These are amazing. I just can’t get over how tiny she looks, especially wrapped in blue on the plate. So fantastic.

47 Avril June 3, 2010 at 10:01 am

Amazing photos!!!!! Treasure them all!!!!

48 Molly W. June 3, 2010 at 10:05 am

From a photography standpoint, yes, absolutely the first 2 weeks of life are vital for the precious images of the newbies! The bookshelf one is my fave!

49 selena@howaboutcookie June 3, 2010 at 10:08 am

These images are beautiful — the one of your entire brood is so heartwarming. I do regret not doing a newborn photo shoot with my two…. the creativity here is amazing.

50 Kristen June 3, 2010 at 10:26 am

Precious!
Wendy (and Tyler, her husband) shot my sister’s wedding. They got some gorgeous shots of a memorable day.

51 beyond June 3, 2010 at 10:28 am

did you hear that pop? that was my ovaries exploding. gorgeous, gorgeous photos. you have adorable children.

52 bdaiss June 3, 2010 at 10:29 am

I don’t think she’ll just survive. I think she’ll thrive. Who wouldn’t?

The bookshelf shot is perfect. And I love the bowl shot. But I think my faves are the one where she has her little mouth hanging open. How adorable is that?!?

I wish we could have done newborn shoots. But at least I have my maternity shots.

53 Erin June 3, 2010 at 10:31 am

Love them! I have a green bamboo bowl similar to the first shot. I may have to borrow some inspiration for when our new arrival comes. Thanks for sharing your little June-bug and all of her fabulous siblings!

54 abbeyviolet June 3, 2010 at 10:34 am

I LOVE these! We had newborn photos with our second, but at a mall-type store rather than at home or the photographer’s house (mostly due to lack of planning). We will definitely do them again with a photographer we like.

55 Michelle June 3, 2010 at 10:34 am

you make me want to have a gigantic family. i can feel the love from the blair household. june will fit right in, no problem.

56 Cris Marsh June 3, 2010 at 10:39 am

Love the photos. I especially like the one of June in the pointy knitted hat.

57 sharon dowdy June 3, 2010 at 10:43 am

Wow! What a treasure these are! They are so beautiful & unique. I think Im going to have to go back to my childrens old baby photos & photoshop them onto a plate :) I wished I had done this with at least one of mine. Im going to have to research some creative ways to display the tons of candid shots I took of my babies & maybe make them look professional. It would at least be nice to have them on the wall & not on my computer :)

58 sharon dowdy June 3, 2010 at 10:44 am

Did your husband write a book? I saw a book on your shelf that said “Ben Blair”.

59 Heather Lilly June 3, 2010 at 10:51 am

Ahhh! These are so fantastic! :) ♥ Loveeeee ♥ the first one, especially. What a cute little peanut!

60 Emme June 3, 2010 at 10:56 am

I love the one on the bottom with all of the kids. So sweet.

61 hyzen June 3, 2010 at 10:58 am

Oh, you are killing me with these! So wonderful! They’re all so lovely that it’s hard to pick a favorite, but the first three, the bookshelf one, and the last one all need to be framed IMMEDIATELY! :) We didn’t do any professional photography when our daughter was born, but I’m going to try to set up a maternity/belly shoot and newborn/family shoot this time–I’ve seen a few local photographers who will schedule those as a package deal.

62 teacher m June 3, 2010 at 10:59 am

When my daughter was born I was sent a card with a photo similar to your bookshelf shot and on the inside it read something to the effect of “congratulations on your newest edition.” Wouldn’t it make a cool birth announcement to do this type of photo with the caption reading “introducing our newest edition?”

63 Yolanda June 3, 2010 at 11:07 am

Absolutely adore the bookshelf shot. Creative, whimsical, and yet, so sweet.

64 HollowSquirrel June 3, 2010 at 11:10 am

Oooh Love the newborn pictures. We didn’t have any taken professionally. I don’t even think I had it together to send announcements for our second. The picture on the bookshelf is priceless — as are the group shots! Congratulations on a big, beautiful family!!

65 mandi June 3, 2010 at 11:15 am

oh now, this is too much! too much, i say!
the first one of her in the cocoon took my breath away! just precious…

66 Heather June 3, 2010 at 11:16 am

These are INCREDIBLE!!! Loving all the color and just the gorgeousness of them all! :-) I only did newborn/newborn shots with my youngest and I LOVE THEM (you can see some of them here – http://tsjphotography.com/blog/photography/how-sweet-is-she/)!

67 Jessica June 3, 2010 at 11:20 am

Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. Mrs Design Mom, you are truly blessed. These pictures (and your blog/words) are inspiring me to expand my family. Soooooo freakin’ adorable!

68 Amy June 3, 2010 at 11:55 am

Blue Lily is one of my fave photographers. You are so lucky you were able to get her out on the East Coast. Love these shots, sweet June, and your uber cute color organized bookshelf!

69 Angela June 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Takes my breath away… so lovely!

70 Julie R June 3, 2010 at 12:23 pm

oh my goodness, beautiful pictures!! and yes, that last shot is perfect! all the kids are looking in a different direction. reminds me of our house growing up (with 6 kiddos too!).

71 Victoria June 3, 2010 at 12:30 pm

WOW – the are wonderful wonderful photos of June. What a super photographer. Love them all, and the last one of all your children is super.

72 Sarah June 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I absolutely love the last picture + June on the bookshelf. So great!!!

73 Kristin June 3, 2010 at 12:38 pm

GORGEOUS.

74 Liz June 3, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Wowowow, just LOVE these. I’ve seen a lot of newborn photography I didn’t really like, so we skipped them with our baby — felt like a lot of $$ for not a lot of return. But THESE — these are artwork! And baby June is adorable. These have changed my mind about infant photos.

75 Jen Byard June 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm

These are incredible…I just found out that Wendy lives 45 minutes from me! I’m saving up for a photo shoot :)

76 Andrea June 3, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Wow, those photos are stunning! Your baby is so precious and so blessed to be in a large family. Will June be the youngest?

77 Robin June 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm

oh my gosh. so great.

78 michelle @ pretty mommy June 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Gorgeous…my fave is June on a Shelf!

79 Michelle McCullough June 3, 2010 at 1:44 pm

All of them are great. I LOVE the color in them. Each one is breathtaking. LOVE that Blue Lily. I did baby pics for both of my kids. I’m so glad I did.

80 Karen Chatters June 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm

These are incredible and amazing and fabulous and I want some!! I don’t have a newborn (at least until October) but to have pictures like this would be wonderful. AND to be able to stay in my pajamas, even better!

81 Dana June 3, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I love these so much that I want another so that I can do these newborn shots :) I love the shelf one. I also love the one where June is in the magenta hat. Is that hat from etsy? I love it! Congratulations on your beautiful bundle!

82 Jenny at LGN June 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Gabby, these are absolutely fantastic!! So very jealous.

She’s an angel! Congrats!

xx

83 Maria Martino June 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I see new born baby pics all the time… but these are BEYOND.

84 Pammer June 3, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Ohhhh, delurking! That bookshelf one is fantastic. Like a little toy left laying around. She’s no bigger than some of the books that surround her. Just outstanding!

85 Treva June 3, 2010 at 3:06 pm

the book shelf picture is pure wacky genius. Too bad you couldn’t fit her on a grocery list. It would be the same kind of feel.

86 Kim Simmonds June 3, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I absolutely love all of the photos. They are gorgeous! Congrats again on such a beautiful baby and enjoy your wonderful pictures!

87 whoorl June 3, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I just realized Blue Lily is relatively local for me…looks like I just found my impending arrival’s photographer! Thanks, Gabby!

88 amyks June 3, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Fabulous, just fabulous!

89 Suzanne from pretty*swell June 3, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Oh my gosh these are stunning! Nearly made me cry! So beautiful and creative. Am definitely hiring someone for newborn shots next time. And, I adore the last shot of your brood. Awesome!

90 Jessica June 3, 2010 at 3:52 pm

So beautiful! That last shot is timeless. If you told me that this was a shot from the 50′s I would totally believe you. You have to hang that one up!

91 Katie June 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Be still my beating heart, these photos are so so so beautiful.

No surprise that each little member of your family is so lovely, however. Just look at their sweet mama :)

92 Rachel June 3, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Oh! These are such wonderful photos. How ugly is it of me that I am so incredibly jealous of them!? Needless to say… our newborn shoot didn’t go quite so smoothly. Yay for you, and yay for sweet baby June. What wonderful treasure for you both.

93 Kelly June 3, 2010 at 5:54 pm

These are fantastic! What a treasure to have such sweet newborn pictures of your little June. Blue Lily has done it again. Man, she’s good. It doesn’t hurt that most of her subjects are just too cute.

94 Claudia June 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Insane.

95 roxane June 3, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Beautiful family. I love newborn pictures – have done them with two of my three children. Wish I knew better to do it with my first child.

96 mrs boo radley June 3, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I love her little shoulders.
And the rest of her sweet self.
And how her siblings gaze at her with loving eyes…
Fantastique.

97 Jackie June 3, 2010 at 7:02 pm

So tiny and so beautiful!

98 tania June 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm

i love, love love the bookshelf shot; and both with her siblings are precious!

99 AnneEvans June 3, 2010 at 7:55 pm

those are gorgeous. you have such a photogenic and beautiful family! i would love to have pictures like this someday. :)

100 Bri June 3, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Oh my goodness, these are brilliant!! I love all the richness from the color. So many newborn pictures these days are done in black & white, which can be artistic and very complimentary, but I just can’t get over how much LIFE is in each picture despite the tiny sleeping subject. And that last one really is a treasure. What a great bunch of kids you have.