Book of the Week: Mama, Is It Summer Yet?

June 29, 2010

Awhile back I featured All In A Day, a beautiful book illustrated by Nikki McClure. Happily, Nikki has a new book out that makes a nice companion to the first. It’s called Mama, Is It Summer Yet? and it features the same great style of illustration. The text is sweet and true to life — the little child can’t wait for summer and asks over and over and over again if it has arrived yet.

My little ones have been asking over and over again about our trip to “Cousins Week” for months now, so I can absolutely relate. What are your kids looking forward to or asking you about?

1 Hilary June 29, 2010 at 11:05 am

Illustration on cover reminds me of Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey.

2 Happenstance June 29, 2010 at 11:34 am

My daughter keeps asking if we can go to the beach yet because we always say “when it’s summertime.” And well, it’s here but it’s been crazy overcast do the point of sprinkling even! I feel like such a fraud!:)

3 Stacey June 29, 2010 at 11:51 am

Well, baby Z isn’t talking yet:-), but i love the illustrations. Also, i love how i could actually colour the images with baby Z since they are like drawings!

4 everton terrace June 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I’m partial to anything with the word “mama” in it. My daughter (now 24) has always called me this. Never, mom or mommy or mother, always momma. Special place in my heart, the books looks lovely.

5 pamela June 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm

i love all in a day! i will definitely put this one on my mental wish list.

6 Sarah June 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm

It looks like a pretty book but is it a valuable book for children?

7 Kelly June 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Nikki McClure is one of my favorite artists — she creates all her illustrations by cutting out black construction paper with an exacto-knife. Mind-boggling to me, given the beautiful level of detail!

8 lesley June 29, 2010 at 6:44 pm

how sweet! i cannot believe these illustrations are all from cut paper, i love them.

my 5yo is currently pining for our annual summer trip to ‘the alders’, where we head to a rustic beach resort to play on the beach for a week straight! 4 weeks to wait seems like forever when you’re five ;)

9 naomi June 29, 2010 at 9:23 pm

This very book caught my eye in Barnes and Noble today!! I didn’t have time to go pick it up – I was on a mission – and I haven’t seen her first book. But now I will surely check on both of them. And thanks to Hilary, your first comment . . . I KNEW it reminded me of something I liked. And it was Blueberries for Sal!

10 Tabitha (From Single to Married) June 29, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Looks like a great book – will have to add it to my list of books to check out for my little guy. :)

11 Kelly June 29, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I think my girls need a new summer read! Thanks! I loved meeting you the other night (at the wedding), made my week! I think you are GREAT!

12 Notes from Holly St. June 29, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I don’t have children of my own yet but I can appreciate a good book…I will have to pick up a copy and save it for future use :)

13 Henrietta June 30, 2010 at 12:49 am

What a darling book. Kids definitely enjoy “echoing” the line “Mama, is it summer yet?” Charming.

14 Treva June 30, 2010 at 9:35 am

Such a great book! It’s beautiful and poetic and solidifying that much awesomeness comes from Portland, OR.

15 redmenace June 30, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I adore Nikki McClure! I often buy her “First 100 Days” for my friends with new babies. It’s lovely. I haven’t seen this one so I appreciate the reference. Thanks! xoxo

16 Mara July 1, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Can’t wait to check this one out, we LOVED All in Day!

17 Natalie July 1, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I have the baby journal by her, and I love it because it is only supposed to be written in once a month, which is do able for me… and I LOVE the illustrations in it! They make me happy :)

18 Amy Jo July 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm

My son asks to read this book at least a half dozen times a day. He knows the story by heart and loves to “read” it to me. I think a big part of the appeal is that he relates to the story so well. Ours is a library copy but I am so very tempted to buy a copy.