Book of the Week: Nature Journal

May 18, 2010

EeBoo sent this nature journal and I think it looks like a perfect summertime activity. It’s so pretty! I love all the little features. There are specimen envelopes and stickers to mark them. There are pullout sheets for writing “letters from the field” that fold up into patterned envelopes. Doesn’t it look sweet?

Summer plans are on my mind. Finalizing decisions for camps and lessons is on my to-do list this week. And for Family Night yesterday, we made a list of dozens of cool things to try and neat places to explore during the school break. Guaranteed, we won’t be able to do everything on the list, but it’s nice to dream big.

Have you started to make summer plans yet? Do you like a lazy summer? Or do you like to fill it up?

1 Dawn Dutton May 18, 2010 at 6:13 am

I love that nature book… so cool

2 Anna May 18, 2010 at 6:44 am

We have that nature book, it’s so beautiful! We work hard not to fill up our summer because that seems to be one of the only stretches of time where we can really follow our whims!

3 Design Mom May 18, 2010 at 9:17 am

That’s so smart of you, Anna. I need to be careful not to fill up every single minute of summer. It’s nice to have some openness in the schedule.

4 Lynelle May 18, 2010 at 10:00 am

How do you manage to take care of all 6 children and work and do all the things you do? What are your the things that help you the most ?

5 AnneEvans May 18, 2010 at 11:27 am

great book! looks really pretty i want to buy one for every kid i know! :)

6 bdaiss May 18, 2010 at 12:52 pm

How adorable! Although…I have visions of finding those specimen envelopes in about, oh 20 years. : )

I was actually just lamenting that I can’t find my list of summer-fun-to-do’s. So I’m making a new one. Online. Where I can’t lose it!

7 Jeannie Greenwald May 19, 2010 at 6:49 am

Lazy summer! I don’t even want to do vacation Bible school and it seems everyone does at least that one (‘cept me/us!). One of mine doesna summer swim team in the neighborhood club and another will do his golfing st the same club. But I eschew scheduled summers because i love to do impromptu things! Things one CAN’T do during school because if schedules. We had a blast last summer just day tripping here and there. While we do live right at the beach th kids are bored of that so we like to go to Florida’s many springs for cold, freshwater swimming and snorkeling. And other things. The kids like the free and easy summer too.

We do make an annual pilgrammage back to our home state of Michigan and the kids love that too. But that is IT. We love
late night games of neighborhood manhunt ( we used to call it hide-and-go-seek, does that make me sound old?!) and coming home from
our day trips as late as we want, precisely b/c there is no schedule to worry about!

8 Anne May 19, 2010 at 2:52 pm

My 7-year-old (the youngest of four sons) has started his big list of things to do this summer. Highlights include: camping, hiking, going to the pool (lots), and food cart Saturdays where we sample Portland food carts for lunch on a few Saturdays. He can’t wait!

9 LLH Designs May 20, 2010 at 6:58 am

I gave that journal to my nature lover a couple summers ago, and while she doesn’t always remember to record things IN the journal, it definitely inspired some good collecting and observing!

Hope you’re enjoying your baby! xo…Linsey

10 Heather V May 20, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I love this book! My little boy would love it even more. He lives to be outside all day every day. Thank you for sharing this, it is definitely a must have.

Congratulations on your new baby! How exciting for you and your family.