Baby Girl

May 17, 2010

I can’t get enough of this baby girl. I am in love.

On Friday night I had a tear-filled freakout — a week had already passed since her birth and despite my best efforts time was slipping away from me. Patient Ben Blair (who is as used to up-and-down hormones as anyone is likely to become) calmed me down and took more photos of June. She’s maybe 7 pounds now (still super tiny), but I can visibly see her growth and it keeps making me cry.

Things June is really good at:
Nursing & pooping
Randomly flinging her arms about
Startling
Furrowing her brow
Generally looking like a very concerned old man

Do any of your babies have that old man look? I find it charming. Every time I have a baby I think: Wow. He/She looks just like my Dad! And then I remember that my Dad was bald, chubby and wrinkled and that many new babies look just like my Dad. : )

June is a little reincarnation of Mike Stanley, if only for a little bit or from a certain angle. My Dad didn’t get to meet my kids — he passed away when I was pregnant with Ralph, my oldest child. So it’s nice to be reminded of him and feel connected to him after each birth.

Yay for babies!

1 Stacey H May 17, 2010 at 2:19 am

Beautiful beautiful pics. And I love your honest and sweet sentiments. BTW, can you tell who is up reading designmom in the middle of the night? Yep. Me & my new one ;) Thanks for the great material!

2 LeLo May 17, 2010 at 2:20 am

She is soooooo sweet, I love her :-)

3 beth aka confusedhomemaker May 17, 2010 at 3:13 am

She beautiful :) I remember just staring at my little ones when they were newborns & trying to drink them in. Oh, heck I still do that even now that they are old news ;)

4 Zhanna May 17, 2010 at 3:30 am

beautiful girl!

yep, I also was looking at my then-1-months-old and thinking – that’s how he’s going to look when he’s old: double chin, bold and not-so-perfect skin. Arhh..

enjoy these precious moments…

5 Kim May 17, 2010 at 3:47 am

I know. My youngest (of 4) is now 22 months and I just don’t want him to get bigger because that is it – no more little ones (and that makes me a little sad sometimes).

Little June is so much like her brothers and sisters – what a sweetie!

6 HollowSquirrel May 17, 2010 at 4:21 am

She is so beautiful. I kind of had forgotten about the startle response thing babies do. They just grow so darn fast! Enjoy the little beautiful bundle!!

7 Megan May 17, 2010 at 4:22 am

The first picture is my favorite. May this be the one and only time she’s bald! ;-)

8 Tanya Keeping May 17, 2010 at 5:00 am

Sshe is so cute!

9 twirling betty May 17, 2010 at 6:13 am

Oh gosh, I know that feeling soooo well. I basically cried at the end of every day when my kids were teeny tiny; mourning for the the little bit of “tiny-ness” that has been left behind that day. They’re so utterly intoxicating aren’t they.
I’m afraid I don’t have any remedies for you – I’m still failing miserably at keeping my kids from growing up. I’ve tried sleeping them between bookends, putting heavy weights on their heads…nothing seems to work. ;-)

10 Maureen May 17, 2010 at 6:22 am

gorgeous – congrats again.

I like to think that babies look very similar to what they will look like when they are 80. That way us mothers can still see our children grow old, even if we won’t be there in body.

11 Boston Mamas May 17, 2010 at 6:29 am

Beautiful, G. And I know your Dad has “met” your kiddos in his own way. ox Christine

12 sharon May 17, 2010 at 6:43 am

absolutely beautiful

13 allysha May 17, 2010 at 6:53 am

What a sweet heart! So on Wednesday do we get to hear your birth story? :) (Actually June’s, I guess!) She really is a lovely little babe.

14 Jackie May 17, 2010 at 7:04 am

These pictures make me even more excited for my little one coming in August. :) She is absolutely perfect!

15 rob May 17, 2010 at 7:09 am

heh. a very cute “old man” indeed.

16 Renee Deming May 17, 2010 at 7:11 am

June is so pretty. And yes – when we brought Gavin home (my youngest – both boys) my friend Tammi’s first words were, “Um, he’s got a little Benjamin Button thing going on.” Which we all laughed and totally agreed!

17 Autumn May 17, 2010 at 7:16 am

Such a little cutie. Feel free to post as many pics of her as you wish!! :)

18 Jessica May 17, 2010 at 7:25 am

She is beautiful.

I loved when my daughter looked like my grandfather. And thanks for your honesty about emotional freak-outs. I think more women (and husbands!) should know that they’re totally normal. I cried so hard when my daughter outgrew her premie clothes even though I was so excited that she was getting bigger and stronger.

19 Robin May 17, 2010 at 7:56 am

I thought of Mike when I looked at the first picture above! Sweet sweet pictures of June.

20 amyks May 17, 2010 at 8:06 am

Oh my, she is just gorgeous, so photogenic. Lucky, lucky you. Makes me wish I could talk my husband into one more baby.

21 mrs boo radley May 17, 2010 at 8:30 am

What a wonder. Thanks for sharing these sweet photos!

22 naomi May 17, 2010 at 8:30 am

So glad you’re back! I was hoping we’d get to see more pictures. She’s just delicious. It makes me ache to see baby pictures of mine that are now 4, 7, and 10 years old. I miss those babies, but I adore the little people they are growing into. Being a momma is such privilege.

23 Lindsey May 17, 2010 at 8:35 am

This might just be my favorite post. She’s darling and I just love her.

24 Stephanie Smirnov May 17, 2010 at 8:38 am

Belated congratulations, Gabrielle! Your baby girl is gorgeous. My son is seven and just this morning (as he clambered all over me like a gangly monkey…if monkeys could be gangly) I wondered in amazement if this was really the same child I swaddled like a little sausage and could hold in one arm. It goes too, too fast.

25 Janet May 17, 2010 at 8:56 am

She’s beautiful! Congratulations!

I like having six kids; it’s a good number!

26 Juliane May 17, 2010 at 9:01 am

Gabby,

Congratulations! She’s beautiful. In that first pic, she reminds me of Maude :) I’m so happy for your family. Enjoy every moment. I keep trying to think of ways to stop time so William won’t get any bigger. Gotta love babies!!!!!

27 Juliane May 17, 2010 at 9:04 am

AND I love her name. I have a little niece June, William’s age. It’s a great name.

28 Kelly May 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

i’ve got one her size and we’re going on week 3. my husband doesn’t understand why i cry over them getting bigger, he can’t wait for them to grow so he can talk to them and play with them. but, i sure miss them when they aren’t tiny grunty and peely anymore. indeed, yay for babies.

29 Michelle May 17, 2010 at 9:12 am

She is adorable! My youngest is already 8 months old! I feel like crying daily as I realize that time is running off with my baby and everyday she is becoming more independent. I’m trying my best to soak it all in!

Congratulations!

30 beyond May 17, 2010 at 9:18 am

oh my gosh this is making my ovaries hurt. she is perfection! congratulations again.

31 Emily J. Ridgway May 17, 2010 at 9:21 am

Ohhhhhh!! What a sweet little baby girl… I wish I still lived in Colorado. I would want to be your nanny. :) Enjoy every minute with that sweet little bundle.

32 Jan (Family Bites) May 17, 2010 at 9:37 am

I love that first photo! She’s got such a great, sophisticated look for a one-week old wee thing.

33 Meghan May 17, 2010 at 9:44 am

Hey Gab,
I don’t know your religious convictions, but regardless, one of my favorite books is The World to Come by Dara Horn. It is an awesome book that captures the intersection of generations both gone and to come, the passing of time, and the beauty of life. Is imagery is just beautiful. If you have time (which I cannot imagine that you do) you should read it.

34 Janae May 17, 2010 at 9:45 am

I have to admit she does look alot like your Dad. Just throw on some Tivas. Your Dad was my 6th Grade teacher. She is Cute though.

35 frederique May 17, 2010 at 9:46 am

Wow! Congrats on you little June, She is truly cute and You are right, She does look like an old man, it’s so funny.

36 Inha May 17, 2010 at 9:59 am

Congrats! Love the sweet content sleeping photo. xoxoxo

37 Maria Estigoy May 17, 2010 at 10:29 am

She is so lovely! Congrats again. Makes me want to have another one. They grow up so fast.

38 The Emily May 17, 2010 at 10:29 am

She is just perfect! I had one of my own tear-filled freak-outs when I had to buy size TWO diapers for my 10-week-old baby last week. She’s getting too big way way too fast.

39 damaris May 17, 2010 at 11:09 am

she is so so beautiful. My baby turned 8 months today and I totally feel like time is passing too quickly.

congratulations again.

40 Maggie Mason May 17, 2010 at 11:09 am

I like this baby. Good work, Gabby.

41 Patchi (Trendy Peas) May 17, 2010 at 11:12 am

Congratulations. She is beautiful. Enjoy!

42 Rachel May 17, 2010 at 11:17 am

She is beautiful. Congratulations to you all. And may I just say… I know *exactly* what you mean when you speak of time passing too quickly. My little man will be three weeks old on Wednesday, and as he is likely my last baby, my heart breaks a little with each passing day. I love to see his little cheeks plumping up, but there’s something amazing about that spindly little newborn I long to hold onto forever.

p.s. I wish my husband were as apt as Ben Blair at calming my crazy. ;-)

43 Tanya May 17, 2010 at 11:26 am

Ah! I love her. What a cutie…even with a furrowed brow

44 carolyn May 17, 2010 at 11:40 am

Oooh … Baby LOVE! She’s perfect! Enjoy every second …

45 Erin May 17, 2010 at 11:42 am

She is gorgeous! I used to practice pediatrics and have seen hundredds of babies right after they are born and I think they all look like concerned old people. But gorgeous, tiny, concerned old people. TIme does slip away so quickly. But remember that while the time is slipping away, a new adventure is around the corner. Congrats!

46 Jessie May 17, 2010 at 11:43 am

I LOVE babies that look like old men (because some definitely do more than others). They are totally charming! Old men babies are the best.

47 Sarah May 17, 2010 at 11:55 am

this is the cutest baby i have ever seen – officially! mine is due in a few weeks, i hope he is half as cute as june!

48 Barb @ getupandplay May 17, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Oh, I love her little everything! She’s so cute!!

49 elz May 17, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Oh, my ovaries are hurting from the cuteness. Little June is a sweetie. Thanks for sharing-my day just got brighter!

50 Ashley, with CWDkids May 17, 2010 at 12:50 pm

What a beautiful baby girl:)

Congratulations!!

Ashley, with CWDkids

51 Deborah May 17, 2010 at 12:57 pm

What a special time for you and June. Savor every moment! Congratulations!

52 ks May 17, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Adorable!
Enjoy those precious late night schnuggles. No matter how tired you are you just want to hold her and smell her yummy head and feel her breathing on your chest!

53 Michelle May 17, 2010 at 1:26 pm

so precious! love her name so much and such a beauty to match it.

54 Zakary May 17, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Gabby, she looks just like you! She’s gorgeous. Your dad is super proud, for sure.

55 Hannah Stevenson May 17, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Oh that tiny little body! I love her name and her little face. I bet her brothers and sisters are in baby heaven too!

Good work and thanks for sharing her with all of us!

56 joslyn May 17, 2010 at 2:11 pm

she is beyond beautiful! yay for June ;-)

and yes both of my girlies looked just like my dad when they were born…funny!

57 Erin May 17, 2010 at 2:56 pm

She’s beautiful!

I love little old-man-babies too! My little man, Q, was just that. Tiny and full of chubby wrinkles. So edible…..

58 Mary Yang May 17, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I think grandpas on the other side have a hand in preparing and sending us our children. My dad never met my children either, but I know that he knows them! Welcome to earth June!
And a big thank you, Gabrielle, for continuing to blog during this busy time. I love to read your posts–so welcome back to Gabrielle too!
Mary

59 andrea May 17, 2010 at 3:27 pm

She is absolutely gorgeous. My baby was an old man as well!! He had the body language of an old man… always crossing his arms and putting one little hand on top of the other. So cute!
Congratulations again :)

60 Erin Wilson May 17, 2010 at 4:11 pm

She’s beautiful! Congratulations!

61 cristin @ simplified bee May 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm

June is adorable. Congrats!!!

New to your blog…. love it.

xo,
cristin

62 Melissa Edwards May 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm

She is beautiful and TINY! Makes me miss when my now 9 month old would sleep on my chest. Best of luck!

ME

63 Alexandra May 17, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Congratulations! Your little sweet bundle of joy is beautiful! Many blessings to you and your family.

64 Bri May 17, 2010 at 5:36 pm

She is darling and an obvious Blair! She fits in perfectly with all of her well-matched siblings :o) I have to agree about babies looking like little old men. I love it! When my daughter was born, she looked exactly like my ‘Uncle Ned’ – who really isn’t my uncle but a very good friend of my parents!! But he’s round-faced and pink-cheeked and moderately bald, and she was the spitting image!

65 Michelle McCullough May 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Yes. Yay for babies and yay for you! She is so adorable. I totally get what you mean about time slipping away. I want to soak up every minute of my 4 month old. What the heck am I doing on this computer?!

66 julie @ duet letterpress May 17, 2010 at 6:28 pm

so funny about your little man comment. we keep saying ours is mrs. benjamin buttons :]

congrats on your little one. she’s beautiful!

67 Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy May 17, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I love babies that look like old men! When I was younger, I would always tell my friends that I wanted a baby that liked all old and wrinkly, but they always laughed at me…and then I had one!! Congratulations!

68 Jordan May 17, 2010 at 6:41 pm

It is painful. The visible growth marching on without our permission. Just reading you talk about it made me cry. She is a beautiful old man.

69 Slice of Chic May 17, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Congratulations! Little girls are the best, but I’m a little biased. I’m looking forward to reading about all the upcoming weeks you have with her. Try to get some sleep and remember that a double shot at Starbucks never hurt anyone :)

70 Yevette Shaver May 17, 2010 at 7:31 pm

This pictures made me laugh aloud with joy! She is so beautiful! I’m due in June (!) with my 3rd and this post made me so excited about getting my hands on my baby-don’t know what it is yet. Congratulations to you! The photographs are lovely. I just found your blog through Simply Seleta’s blog and really enjoy it.

71 Kami May 17, 2010 at 9:14 pm

She is darling! I’m sure your dad was with them all. Congratulations on a sweet baby girl. <3

72 Kelly Ann May 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Sweet baby June!! I’m so glad you posted these beautiful pics. I can’t wait to see the Blue Lily photos and illustrated birth announcement. You and Ben Blair do such special things for your children.

73 amy smart May 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm

So amazing, Gabby! She is beautiful. And I adore her name.

My fourth looked exactly like a little old man. He was also very jaundiced for a few days so we affectionately called him Mr. Burns. He was a dead ringer.

74 Elyse May 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I love your blog, you totally inspire me! I feel the same way, My baby is turning 10 months and I want her to stay little forever, not really but kind of! Love the name June, BTW. xoxo

75 Lamchops May 18, 2010 at 1:24 am

I remember your dad. He was such a funny guy. I really got a kick out of him. I recall that he was a good teacher too. It is really nice to see the likeness of our elders in the sweetness of these precious little sweeties. Best of wishes with that darling June!

76 Sharon May 18, 2010 at 3:51 am

She has that “wise creature been here before” look about her. My son had it, looked like Harrison Ford when he was 5 weeks old. I remember that “I’m missing it” feeling too, when I had my daughter. You just get so caught up in the mundane tasks of caring for a newborn it feels like you cant truly appreciate any of it.

She’s beautiful. Good job.

77 Heather B. May 18, 2010 at 7:53 am

That is one gorgeous baby girl.

78 Krystle May 18, 2010 at 9:00 am

So Precious =)

79 Bec May 18, 2010 at 10:02 am

She’s darling. And yes, the old-man look is totally endearing. Cute little June bug. :)

80 Lynda May 18, 2010 at 11:31 am

Congratulations! She’s really precious! :D

81 Janimal May 18, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Just gorgeous. You make sweet babies! Mazel Tov!

82 Allison May 18, 2010 at 1:14 pm

My dad passed away while I was pregnant too and when my son was born (now 4 1/2 months) I was so excited that he came out looking most like my dad. And now as he grows I love it when I see him making expressions that are like my dad’s, even though now he just looks like himself. YAY babies for reminding us of dads and grandfathers and those gone past. Your daughter is stunning – congratulations!

83 Miranda May 18, 2010 at 2:05 pm

She’s beautiful! She looks a lot like you in the first picture. Just gorgeous! Hearing your thoughts about her makes me baby hungry. And what a sweet way to remember your dad – in the faces of your babies.

84 Ange May 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I’m in love with her, too – what lovely photos! (And yes, that “old man look” is absolutely adorable.)

85 Suzanne May 18, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Miss June is stunning. Congratulations!!

86 Ayme May 18, 2010 at 4:05 pm

yay for the pics! she is perfect :) i feel baby fever coming on! enjoy your time nursing, it is so, so precious. i’m sure you know~

87 Ashlea Walter May 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Most babies seem to have that Winston Churchill-esque quality about them and I find it incredibly charming. Charm on, June!

88 handmadecharlotte May 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I love JUNe!!!! I cry all the time too! I am a nervous mess…..my Noah is 11 weeks….
people keep asking me if I will have anymore….I cannot even think about that right now….YOUR baby is soooo sweet! I will say a prayer that the end of the year stuff goes by sooooo easy! YOU ARE GREAT! Your blog is always so RIGHT ON!

89 tania May 18, 2010 at 6:18 pm

well she is just some kind of cute! and so lucky to have her older brother’s and sisters and dad and especially her mama.

90 Rena May 18, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Aaaaaawwww. So sweet. She’s giving me baby fever!

91 sammyjbobo May 19, 2010 at 2:33 pm

she is adorable! i want a girl so bad (not enough to try with a 4th)! only boys. remember those days and still in a haze from the lasting effects, but there worth all that and so much more! hang in there!

92 katherinemarie May 19, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I’m so thrilled to see your newest family member!!!!!!!! What a sweetie-pie.. I just want to gobble up all of her… she is absolutely breathtaking. Hope you enjoy all the moments of baby bliss. xoxoxoxoxox!!!!

93 Tauni May 19, 2010 at 4:26 pm

She is beautiful! Congratulations on the additions of this sweet little bundle of joy.

94 Kimberly May 19, 2010 at 7:36 pm

oh gosh i know exactly what you are talking about. That panicky feeling when they just keep growing. My 5th (and last) is now 4 months old and I get that feeling on a regular basis. I have this fear that I’m not going to remember things as vividly as I want to. Its like time just keeps slipping away from me.

Your newest little one is beautiful. Enjoy!

95 Heather May 20, 2010 at 3:48 pm

What gorgeous pictures of your darling little June. I had the same experience with my second, knowing he would be my last baby. Every day he seemed bigger and I would cry, knowing yesterday had been my last day holding someone so tiny. Of course, my husband thought I was crazy! :)

96 Stephanie May 20, 2010 at 9:15 pm

She is lovely. My warmest congratulations to you and your family.

97 Doralyn May 21, 2010 at 7:49 am

Your daughter is lovely. And I say this as someone who does not think all babies are cute. In fact, I think most newborns are not very cute, but that they grow into cuteness. A select few seem to be beautiful right from birth. June is there.

98 Jenny May 21, 2010 at 2:37 pm

How did I miss that you had your baby?!?!?!???? Congratulations! June is a lovely name and she is just beautiful!

99 Mellissa Rosenhan May 21, 2010 at 9:47 pm

She is adorable!! I think that there are some pictures of newborns that show they are truly a member of the family. Baby June is totally a Blair. That second picture from the top just screams,”look at me, I am a Blair!” Her nose and face shape…just so cute! :)

100 Jennifer May 24, 2010 at 5:12 pm

LOVE babies! This post of yours makes me want to go have a 4th! I better not tho (gonna turn 45 this year!) ;)