The Toy Society

April 15, 2010

Oh my goodness. Jody just emailed me about The Toy Society and I’m pretty sure I must join immediately. Basically it works like this: You make a handmade toy, then leave it anonymously in a public place for someone to find and enjoy — with a note attached that says “Take me home, I’m yours.” There’s absolutely no expectation of reward or acknowledgment. It’s just a sweet way to put a little kindness out there in the world. You can read all about it here.

Started in Australia, there have been over 1200(!) toy drops so far. I’m putting this on my list of things to do with my kids this summer. What do you guys think? Would you ever participate in something like this?

1 Becki April 15, 2010 at 10:55 am

I love love this idea. Toy dropping would be a perfect summer date night activity with my husband. :) Thanks for the inspiration.

2 Emily April 15, 2010 at 11:00 am

I love this idea! What a great way to teach your kids about kindness and giving. Thank you for sharing this.

3 Wendy April 15, 2010 at 11:03 am

This reminds me of “color me katie.” She likes to leave containers of sidewalk chalk, markers and paper, etc…on fences in parks. This stuffed animal idea is perfect for our family. We will do that this spring!

4 Jenny April 15, 2010 at 11:06 am

That is great! We will do this for sure!

5 Katherine April 15, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Thanks for the inspiration! This will be a great project for my oldest and I. the concept is fabulous.

6 Jan (Family Bites) April 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I adore this idea! What a wonderful way for kids to show kindness and connect with others out there. Thank you for the idea…I’m off to read all about it now.

7 Christina April 15, 2010 at 12:35 pm

This reminds me of someone else’s idea of “Random Pies of Kindness” – just leaving a pie on someone’s front step (probably someone you know). I’ve done it once and it felt great!

8 Mary Kaye April 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Such a fun idea! We’re totally on it!

9 Sarah April 15, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I love the idea, but truthfully, I don’t know if I would let my kid take something that was just… out there… Even if it was packaged up all darling. But maybe other moms are less psycho than me. I’d happily give my handmade toys away, as my kids never like them as much as the store-boughten kind!

10 Emme April 15, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I think this is so sweet. Although in Los Angeles, I would assume that it is laced with cocaine or something. Sadly.

11 Mendy April 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I think I’m with the psycho moms that would worry that it was booby-trapped and tell me kids not to take it. BUT, I would love to do it. This may be our excuse to finally finish our Black Apple dolls.

12 Barchbo April 15, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Love it! If I had ANY idea how to make a toy, I would love to participate!

Of course if I could make toys, then I would probably just donate them to the women’s shelter or something. But I love the concept!

13 tod April 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm

what a darling idea! i love the idea of throwing kindness out into the world. such an inspiring concept. i will have to join in. thanks for sharing!
xoxo
tod

14 Shannon C April 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I love this idea and actually did something like it a few years ago. On Valentine’s Day I ran to a bunch of houses and left candy and other little gifts. So much fun to think of the look on their faces when they opened the door!

15 cath @ chunkychooky April 15, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I have done a couple of toy drops and plan on doing a whole lot more very soon in fact, we are going on a driving holiday and I am going to do them along the way…its quite addictive…

16 The Toy Society April 15, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Thanks for the mention Gabrielle! Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your summer project!

17 Damaris April 15, 2010 at 8:53 pm

yes I would. Some kind soul dropped off flowers on Tuesday night on my front door. I have no idea who it was but it made my day. I’m thinking of doing a secret flower society

18 Parakh April 16, 2010 at 1:20 am

My sons would get a such a kick out of it!!!! We HAVE to do this! Thanks for posting!

19 Nancy April 16, 2010 at 2:54 am

Thats brilliant! I am totally going to participate!

20 Canada Flowers April 16, 2010 at 4:02 am

Very novel and inspiring idea, although I’m worried about health concerns.

21 Karen M April 16, 2010 at 8:03 am

Just signed up! Thank you for introducing me to such a great group!!

22 kirsten April 16, 2010 at 8:20 am

i love it!

23 emily April 16, 2010 at 9:10 am

LOVE this! I write a column for http://TheWomen'sColony.com about Random Acts of Kindness. I’m going to include this in my next post.

24 emily April 16, 2010 at 9:13 am

Reading through the comments, I was thinking the same thing, that I’d be wary of allowing my children to pick up a toy that we just found somewhere… But for those that want to participate, what about donating the toys to a fire station or church nursery? Then they could distribute the toys.

25 Kate April 16, 2010 at 9:51 am

I love this idea, and I think it is a great summer activity for kids to do. Thanks for sharing!

26 Erin April 16, 2010 at 10:37 am

I have to agree with a few of the others out there, and would be leary to let me child pick up something in a public place……..but the idea is a great teaching tool of selfless giving! As others have noted….donating them to a children’s hospital/fire dept./shelter/etc. would be great!

27 Lynn April 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Count us in. We will leave them all over PA & NJ!

28 fixermamma April 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm

i cannot believe someone would actually think something was wrong with these toys! People, the entire world is not evil!
Having dropped 4 toys my self in the last two years (1 was acknowledged as found) I certainly hope my toys were happily received and not thought to be cocaine-laced!

29 robyn March 23, 2011 at 7:17 am

OHHHH, you have no idea how wonderful this sounds to me! It’s like a fantastic twist on the “random act of kindness” gesture! I’m definitely going to do this too!