Easter Egg Dye Baths

April 5, 2010

I love sitting at my desk at the beginning of a new week. Answering email. Making notes about possible blog content. It feels especially good after a holiday weekend. I like getting back into a familiar rhythm. And I like knowing there isn’t another major holiday/event at our house until this baby’s arrival. How about you? How was your weekend? Too short or too long? Anything particularly lovely happen?

My favorite part was dyeing eggs. It happened on Saturday afternoon. We did 3 dozen eggs total, but I reserved a dozen just for me. Because that’s how Design Mom rolls. I tried mixing dye baths in glass containers using NotMartha’s dye recipe for the first time (usually, we use plastic or metal bowls) and I was in love with how they looked. Gorgeous, right?

1 Tonya April 5, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Lovely! Where did you get those canning jars? I’ve been looking for that specific shape but haven’t been able to find them.

2 Jenny April 5, 2010 at 12:06 pm

My daughter and I had fun dying the eggs too. I didn’t realize until it was too late the we only had brown eggs and I wasn’t sure how they would turn out… they turned out beautifully! I was really surprised!

3 Design Mom April 5, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Tonya, the glass jars actually belong to our favorite jam brand — Bonne Maman. They’re available at most grocery stores. They have the red and white check lids and a simple white label. We especially like the raspberry.

Jenny, I’m so glad you mentioned dyeing brown eggs. I’ve always wondered how they would turn out. I’ll have to try some next year.

4 Wendy April 5, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Gabrielle, I wanted to send you a quick “thank-you” for posting about the custom toy portraits. I quickly commissioned Jennifer to paint a portrait of my daughter, Lilly, and her recently lost “Froggy O’Froggy”. Her best friend in the whole world. I’m so excited to see the finished product! Thank you for connecting us!!!

5 Kira April 5, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Oh, it reminds me of my childhood! Lovely blog, by the way!

6 mrs c April 5, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I like to dye eggs as well. Last week I had knee replacement surgery so my daughter and grand daughter took over and helped out with that special part of our Easter fun. Check out my blog: happymrsc.blogspot.com and my daughter’s blog: uncooked-art.blogspot.com. She and Miss V did a program at our wonderful organic grocery store, Greenlife, and dyed all their eggs using natural products.

7 Megan April 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Thanks so much for linking to my egg project of the last few days. I hope your Easter weekend was really great.

8 Tanya April 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Brown eggs! What a great idea. I got the cheapest dye and the eggs didnt take well to them. Serves me right…I wanted to do something fun and fancy and got lazy. Next time it’ll be more artsy.

Happy Monday everyone!

9 Stacey H April 5, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Great pics!

The most lovely thing was taking a nature walk with just my middle son. I asked him to tell me things that make him happy and he looked right up at me and said, “YOU!”

The best :)

10 Tammy April 5, 2010 at 5:54 pm

always fun to read a kindred spirit from another working mom…as usual our weekend was to short making up for the busy time this weekend we did nothing but fun stuff all day….on the list was paintings for the kids rooms!

11 Shelley April 5, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Just out of curiosity … did you dye hard boiled eggs or did you blow them out?. This year, I blew my eggs out first and then dyed them — they floated! I had a devil of a time trying to dye them.

12 LLH Designs April 6, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I know a Bonne Maman jar when I see one! ;) Love those jars. You’d think we ate nothing but preserves based on how many ways we use the empty ones…craft room supplies, makeup, water glasses…even make-your- own snow globes (keep the tops!).

Loving your new blog look…Linsey

13 Amy March 7, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Maybe I am a poor reader, but I don’t see what you used to dye the eggs. I have never been able to get my eggs to turn those deep colors. I was hoping to read about how you did it. What did you use? How long did you soak in the dye? Did I miss that part?

14 Design Mom March 10, 2013 at 11:01 am

Hi Amy! You can find the instructions I was following here: http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2010/04/01/easter-surprise-eggs-the-easy-version/

15 Tashia March 29, 2013 at 1:46 am

Amy, if you click on the link within the text “NotMartha’s Dye Recipe”, it takes you to NotMartha’s website. That’s where the recipe is located. I’m going to try it too because my eggs have never turned out that vibrant. I hope it works because they’re so pretty!