Wheat Grass

March 25, 2010

Are you planting wheat grass this year? If you plant it today or tomorrow, it will be the perfect length on April 4th.

Here are my easy directions:
-Fill and level your container with potting soil. Leave about an inch of space at the top.
-Place an even layer of wheat kernels on the soil. It should be a pretty solid layer with only a little bit of dirt showing.
-Water daily. Keep the soil pretty moist. For a 6-inch container, I would pour in a glass of water each morning.

That’s it. You’ll see sprouts in about 48 hours. And grass in about a week. The wheat won’t look great for ever — some people trim it with scissors to extend it’s life — but I prefer to just replant.

A note about containers:
I’ve had success planting wheat grass in all sorts of containers, as long as I’m considerate of drainage. I’ve planted in metal buckets with no drainage holes, using a couple inches of foam peanuts underneath the soil. I’ve planted in glass containers, lining the bottom couple of inches with pretty pebbles. And I’ve planted in traditonal ceramic containers with built in drainage holes.

1 love.boxes March 12, 2007 at 8:27 am

I loved this growing up!

2 Leisha March 12, 2007 at 9:16 am

Gorgeous!

3 Julie P March 12, 2007 at 9:38 am

LOVE THIS! Dumb question…where can I just get a small amount of seeds?

4 Design Mom March 12, 2007 at 9:47 am

Julie P, not a dumb question at all. You can pick up wheat at any health food store. It’s typically very inexpensive.

5 sarah March 12, 2007 at 9:57 am

I have done this right in my kids’ Easter Baskets. I used crumpled up newspaper to raise the planting bed. Then, a layer of plastic wrap, a soaking wet paper towel. Place the wheat directly on the paper towel. No dirt involved. It works!

6 Design Mom March 12, 2007 at 10:01 am

Sarah, that’s awesome! I can’t believe it works from a paper towel. I’m going to try this. . .

7 Liz March 12, 2007 at 10:26 am

My girls always love to grow plants, and I’ve been wanting to try this sometime. Thanks for the tips. Also, I would love to know where you got your wheat in bulk? I live in CT, near the NY border, so not far from you, so if it is anywhere in the NY metro area, I would love to know! THanks so much!

8 sara March 12, 2007 at 10:51 am

gabby, you have read my mind. i’ve been thinking for a few months now that a silver planter with grass would look cool on my table for a spring center piece. awesome! i will definitely be coming over sometime soon for some seeds. we’re off to ikea today to hopefully find a planter… unless you have any other ideas of where i should look for one.

9 Mamma March 12, 2007 at 12:18 pm

Great idea!! I’m going to try and find some seeds.

10 Girl con Queso March 12, 2007 at 12:19 pm

I love this. I’m completely doing this. Thanks for the tip!

11 lainakay March 12, 2007 at 12:24 pm

i’ve wanted to do this for years… thanks for the tips and the inspiration!

12 Lei March 12, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Gosh, I haven’t planted wheat grass in a few years. I grew tired of it after doing it for several years in a row. I think it’s time to bring it back, though. Your displays cause me to reminisce!

13 vfg March 12, 2007 at 3:28 pm

so the wheat I purchase for grinding and baking will work?

14 Design Mom March 12, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Liz, I’ve actually had my wheat since before I moved to New York. It seems to last forever. Sorry. If I here of a local source, I’ll certainly share the info.

Sara, Ikea will no doubt have tons of great options.

VFG, absolutely.

15 Emily S. March 12, 2007 at 5:59 pm

I remember getting this idea from you when we both lived in Provo! So many years ago…those were fun times!

16 liz s March 12, 2007 at 7:43 pm

i have a health store around the corner. what kind of wheat do i want to get?

17 Jenni March 12, 2007 at 8:29 pm

i plant the wheat berries in paper towels too, works great, but will get moldy after a bit

18 Bek March 13, 2007 at 1:05 am

I love to do this too!! Ikea has some GREAT orange and blue planters right now…for under 5 dollars…

Time to plant the grass…

19 April ~ Living the Sweet Life March 3, 2008 at 10:20 pm

i was just today thinking about doing this with my children & their school classes.

20 Anonymous March 15, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Silly Question…If I try it in a basket with no dirt, do I still water daily?

21 Anonymous August 2, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Where did you find that planter – i am looking for one exactly like it.

22 Anonymous February 12, 2009 at 5:46 pm

—>"Apparently you can also juice it. But in my life, its beauty benefits outweigh its health benefits."

WHAT???!? apparently you haven't read anything about how nutritious wheatgrass is for you! You would be stupid to ignore it's benefits. Seriously!! Don't be stubborn! go read up on it and learn that the body can possibly heal itself of CANCER if you feed it right. Trust me, you will increase your feeling of health when you've been consuming the juice, among other greens too. I suggest this book, you can find it used on Amazon for less than $10. Wheatgrass Nature's Finest Medicine – The Complete Guide to Using Grasses to Revitalize Your Health -by Steve Meyerowitz.

23 Lauren Elisabeth April 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Do you think this is a grass that would be good for cats to eat? I always see the expensive grass in the stores for cats, but this would be a great (cheaper) alternative! Unless this is already what they use in the pet stores…

24 girlalive April 8, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I don’t know about cats, but that would be fantastic for guinea pigs and bunnies.

25 katie April 8, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Any thoughts on keeping mold under control? I’ve had problems in the past

26 Anonymous April 8, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Cat grass is simply wheat/oat grass, and would absolutely be fine for your felines.

I love wheatgrass. I used to drink it every morning instead of coffee, it provided a much better and longer lasting energy boost! Tastes a little intense, but if you chase it/mix it with other fresh fruit juices it goes down easier. Just don’t try to drink it on an empty stomach!

27 cindy April 8, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for the tip! I’m going to have to stop by a health store to pick some up [I'd love to come over and pick some up from you but I think I live a tad too far from you!]. This will be perfect for a shower that I’m helping out with a few weeks.

28 Rachel@oneprettything.com April 8, 2009 at 4:14 pm

I love keeping wheat grass on the counter. What a fun post, I’ll be linking to this.

29 Anonymous April 8, 2009 at 4:48 pm

I grow this for my cat to eat! He seems to like it a lot more than my other houseplants. The cat grass kits they sell at pet stores are just wheat, oat, sometimes barley or rye seeds. If you don’t have a health food store nearby, the bulk section at Whole Foods usually has wheat berries.

30 Sam April 10, 2009 at 2:49 am

I just wanna say, the “health benefits” if wheatgrass is no more than the “health benefits” of normal grass. I suggest buying real foods rather than spending money for this overpriced fad.

31 PurpleDragonFly April 15, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I plant a new pot full every 3 weeks for my cats. They love the stuff. Plus its cheaper than buying the stuff in the pet stores. Reading the labels and the so called catnip grass is oat and wheat seeds mixed.

32 Heather May 3, 2009 at 7:13 pm

how fun. i’m going to plant some tomorrow. we have loads of wheat and this will be a fun project to do with the kids. I need some green inside my house and this will be perfect.

33 info January 20, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Where did you get that great planter that reads. "plant?" I have been looking for a long rectangular planter for my dinning room table for a while now?

34 Kelly March 25, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Yes! We planted wheat grass last year around this time. It was very successful for us. I used 3 pretty glass containers and they sat in my living room making things feel so springy. We used a juicer and added the wheat grass to smoothies or drank little shots of it for a little extra health boost.

35 Pamela March 25, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Where does one get the wheat kernels? Seed store (like hardware store or nursery)? Health food store? Thanks!

36 kate @ the parsley thief March 25, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Ooh! Thanks so much for the reminder! I usually have some seeds around to grow grass for our lovebird…I’m gonna go look now!

37 caroline March 25, 2010 at 11:35 pm

We did this last week for the first time ever. I used a long narrow glass planter, my kiddos are loving being able to watch ‘underground’ and checkout the roots!

38 Kim March 26, 2010 at 12:09 am

I didn’t think I had time! Thanks for the directions!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

39 Melissa March 26, 2010 at 12:30 am

we planted ours today… I’m doing it so that I can use it in place of that Easter grass I dread cleaning up every year! :) (We have buckets, and I planted the wheat in those little clear plastic trays you set under your plants? We’ll probably water with a squirt bottle since my dirt is thin and there isn’t any way to drain.

40 Kirsty March 26, 2010 at 2:50 am

Ohhh thanks for the reminder!!!

41 Jan (Family BItes) March 26, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for the reminder. We’ve been so busy making no-bake chocolate nests with eggs and chicks (which I’ve posted about today) that I forgot about all the other Easter things we could be making. Off to buy the wheat today!

42 Helena March 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I’ve never done it, but you make it look so easy. I am definitely tempted…

43 Tod March 27, 2010 at 12:31 am

i love it! i’ll get planting today! can’t wait to get my easter eggs done!!
xoxo

44 Terresa Wellborn March 27, 2010 at 11:33 pm

My niece had wheat grass, limes & oranges as her centerpieces at her wedding reception last month. The look was fresh & clean. Wish I would’ve taken more picts, darn it!

45 Lizabeth April 1, 2010 at 4:59 am

I just posted our wheat grass – planted WITHOUT soil and in a cute chicky bowl so it looks like hair. Check him out…use crumpled wet paper towels and no soil. Promise it works!

46 Ashoo April 15, 2010 at 11:34 am

I am in the market for good wheat grass juicers. Which brand are you using?

Cheers,
Ashoo

47 Julie April 17, 2010 at 8:54 am

I didn’t have these easy instructions and put a thin layer of potting soil over the wheat berries. Do you think it will still grow?

48 Sara Bonham March 30, 2013 at 6:06 am

You know, I am not even a mom BUT I keep finding so many useful and adorable ideas on your website that I keep coming back time and time again.
I am actually a scientist and am currently studying how plastic degrades and its effect on the envirionment. Turns out I have a LOT OF EXTRA WHEATGRASS lying around in the lab and now I know exactly what t do with it :) yay.
I think your readers would also like my website called – http://eco-savy.com as I am currently writing an article about Chemicals to avoid when easter shopping. Also, you can and get more design ideas for their kids room at http://kidroom.net .
Happy Easter Everyone!