Rocket Ship

March 29, 2010

What do you do when a major snowstorm arrives in the middle of Spring Break and the kids are about to go stir-crazy? Raid your rainy day closet and pull out the assemble-yourself-rocket-ship. That’s what.

Kidscraft Playhouses sent me the rocket ship a few weeks ago and we’ve been waiting for the perfect time to use it. Well. The perfect time arrived and this cardboard playhouse turned out to be the perfect activity. We don’t really have a rainy day closet, but if we did, this is the sort of thing it would be stocked with. It works for a wide variety of ages, and it’s one of those activities that can go for days and weeks — we decorate it for awhile, then we play inside it for awhile, then we move it to another room and play with it some more, then we come back to it with markers again the next morning. Part art project. Part fort. A great place to have an indoor picnic or hideout and read a book. Eventually, it becomes part of the playroom furnishings for as long as it holds up. Which will be quite some time based on the quality of the (fully recycled and recyclable) cardboard.

You know where else this would be smart? At a birthday party. You could plan the entire event around an activity like this.

What are your favorite rainy day activities?

1 artfulife March 29, 2010 at 11:26 am

I’ve always said that cardboard boxes are a child’s best friend. What a fun activity for your little ones.

2 Kathleen March 29, 2010 at 11:54 am

Oh that’s just so cool! I wish my kids were still young enough to want to play with something like this.

3 Jenny March 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm

This looks like a blast! What fun!

4 Amy G. March 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Looks like so much fun! Too bad they don’t have the rocket shop on the website anymore… any idea why? They have playhouse and a shuttle that are both pretty cute too though!

5 Amy G. March 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

oh wait.. duh! Sorry – the rocket ship IS the shuttle. sorry!

6 beth aka confusedhomemaker March 29, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I love that!! I agree cardboard boxes can be made into the most amazing adventures. I love that this is a space shuttle. Have they traveled to any far off planets or galaxies yet?

As for rainy day activities, one that we’ve been doing lately is making different colored homemade playdough & our own story books. Making the books doesn’t require any literary skills, because they get to write in their developing language skills & color pictures, then they read the stories to each other.

7 Robin Witte March 29, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I forgot all about the Rainy Day Closet! I can’t wait to start adding to one for my little boy.
I love anything out of cardboard that you can customize!
-Robin

8 Amy S March 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Wow, it’s super cute, but I’m not sure $70 is in the budget. However, it does inspire me to get out the boxes and let the kids create something!

9 adriw March 30, 2010 at 7:04 am

We don’t have any children yet, but when we do.. with as handy as my hubby is, I’m thinking a more permanent rocket/hose build with erase board where the children can draw,erase and then draw some more. I know, not as eco friendly, but I really do love the fact that the kids could decorate and redecorate their rocket/house.

10 Sarah March 30, 2010 at 9:28 am

What a great product! And I totally need to file away the “rainy day closet” idea for when I have kids of my own :)

11 Misty March 30, 2010 at 11:13 am

Rainy day? Or, just “bored day” activity? Shaving cream on the mirrors! My son LOVES it. It washes off fine and he goes into the tub afterwards. We use the mirror over the sink in the bathroom.