Chalkboard Fridge

March 29, 2010

Fridge works fine but it’s an eyesore? I love this brilliant fix from Danny Seo. All hail chalkboard paint!

Don’t you think Springtime brings out the DIY-instincts? All I want to do these days is make and redo and transform. But mostly, my desire to finish out these last 6 weeks of pregnancy eating ice cream and napping beats out my DIY instincts — thank goodness I can live vicariously through all the creative people on the internet. : )

1 Molly G March 29, 2010 at 12:06 pm

My friends and I had an apartment in college and we used to keep whiteboard markers in a little magnetic caddy on the fridge. Whenever we had company, we’d encourage our guests to leave a little note or drawing. Everyone loved it and usually signed something elaborately!!

2 stephanie March 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

i see so many projects online with chalkboard paint, but no one ever talks about the dust that it leaves behind. all i can ever think of, is the mess i will have to clean up. it’s cute in theory.

3 Deana Birks March 29, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Believe it or not, I use dry erase markers directly on the surface of my fridge. I’ve done it for years. Sometimes I need windex to get it all off, but other than that I’ve never had a problem.

4 Tasha Melita August 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I LOVE that idea! But can hear my husband now…lol

5 1ofaKind March 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Looks totally cool and at the same time so practical!

6 mrs boo radley March 29, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Amazing! Mine would always say “eggs and goat cheese” on it too.

7 melissa March 29, 2010 at 12:47 pm

This is awesome, and saves paper. A very economical and green idea..

8 mary beth March 29, 2010 at 12:56 pm

i love chalkboards in the kitchen!

9 Jenny March 29, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I have a quart of chalkboard paint that I can’t decide what to do with… I can’t use it on the fridge, but I will find a place for it!

How fun!

10 Natalie March 29, 2010 at 3:46 pm

We painted our ugly old cream fridge with chalkboard paint a few months back and I LOVE it! It looks SO much better than before. Also, Stephanie, it hasn’t caused a mess, at least in my home…

11 joslyn March 29, 2010 at 3:47 pm

i dream of this fridge…

12 Alexandra March 29, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Um this fridge is amazing. I need to turn something into chalkboard.

13 handmadecharlotte March 29, 2010 at 5:11 pm

super duper…..this may be a possibility for me….the fridge is on the blink!

14 Tod March 29, 2010 at 6:11 pm

adorable! i was just talking with a friend about how fun it would be to have a chalkboard wall. the fridge is brilliant!!
xoxo

15 Amanda March 29, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I think it is a cute idea but looks cheap. How can a chalkboard fridge look good with granite counter tops, and other nice appliances? Even if you do black it only is cute for a while…I don’t like when people are too trendy…this will look ridiculous in a few years.

16 Gundosnhy May 16, 2012 at 2:36 am

Aloha!srnw! http://viewyx.com qugaw igrdr

17 Gundosnvt May 16, 2012 at 2:38 am

Aloha! fwj

18 Heather March 29, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Wow! Now that is putting chalkboard paint to a use I would have NEVER thought of! Brilliant!

19 Ashlea Walter March 29, 2010 at 8:12 pm

We did this to an old fridge once, but we left love notes and doodled silly ideas. The idea of a shopping list on the fridge is cute, but totally impractical as you have to write your list down again to take with you to the store! Oof.

20 Michelle LeBlanc March 29, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Genuis!! Now to find the time to do it :)

21 la_sale_bete March 30, 2010 at 7:42 am

I painted the sink backsplash in my kitchen with chalkboard paint. It’s been really handy!

22 Erin March 30, 2010 at 8:53 am

So glad you posted this! I had this project earmarked quite a while ago, but had lost it! I love it, and the flat green would look great in my kitchen!

23 Heather March 30, 2010 at 10:38 am

So happy to see the comments of Ashlea Walter and Stephanie. The way I see it, making a grocery list on a chalkboard which is fixed in your house is absurd. Particularly when it’s a fridge. Are you then going to drag that fridge to the store with you? In one magazine I saw a rangehood painted in chalkboard paint….chalk dust over cooking food? And why is it that everyone with a chalkboard in there kitchen is always in need of fresh herbs but never toilet paper? Sorry to be a party pooper…I just don’t understand the obsession.

24 May March 30, 2010 at 10:42 am

Saw this a while ago and someone recommended chalkboard contact paper. Even better! We also did some doors and a few other spots around the house. Whole project took seven minutes. As far as the dust goes, I’ve been using the chalk markers and that has helped loads.

25 Design Mom March 30, 2010 at 11:54 am

Thanks for the great comments everybody.

Heather, Ashlea, Stephanie — I hear you. It’s true that a grocery list would need to be transferred to another source (paper/iphone/etc) if you wanted to take it to the store. I think what people are excited about goes way beyond that. The grocery list idea is just one example of what one could do with a chalkboard fridge. How about a place for phone messages, a place for kids to doodle, a place to write down a recipe or idea that comes to you while you’re in the kitchen, a place to leave a love note for your sweetheart.

Certainly, it doesn’t appeal to everyone (what idea does), but if you’re stuck with an ugly refridgerator, this seems like a fun (and eco-friendly) option while you’re saving for an upgrade.

26 Pam March 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Oh……..yet another fabulous chalkboard paint idea I’d love to try!!

27 Andrea March 30, 2010 at 8:05 pm

What a great idea – genius!

28 WarsawMommy March 31, 2010 at 2:45 am

Yes, I love this… and the kids could draw on it, to liven it up a bit. Cute idea!

29 kayce hughes March 31, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Brilliant!

30 Amy Patel May 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

I am in love. We have a downstairs kitchen close to our boys’ playroom, and the fridge in there is ugly anyway! This is a perfect idea–especially, since we’re all word-nerds in my home.

31 Bernadette Chouest March 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm

To all who are worried about dust, buy Dustless Chalk. It cuts down on the dust buy a ton. We painted a table top in our Church nursery and use the Dustless chalk. The kids love it and it occupies them while parents are visiting.

32 steph coleman March 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Stephanie – You can get chalk pens at Amazon, Hobby Lobby and office depot and I am sure other places. These are supposed to act like chalk but without the mess.