Book of the Week — My Book About Me

March 16, 2010

Did you ever have this book as a kid? I loved my copy. It’s a fill-in-the-blanks journal with all the cleverness of Dr. Suess. It’s called My Book About Me and it covers everything a kid would care about in their kid-sized world — favorite color, how big your foot is, how many steps from the front door to the mailbox. Oscar received a copy for his birthday and he adores it. It is a daily read.

1 andrea nina March 16, 2010 at 12:01 pm

omg, i did! wow nostalgia just came over me. i definitely want to get this for my son when he becomes of age!

2 Ali March 16, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I LOVED this book. My mom still has it at her house and my girls look through it. Can't wait to buy copies for them.

3 laurie -magpie ethel March 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I had a copy and so did my sister. I still have mine. Loved it so much I got my daughter a copy when she was little (she is now 16). My favorite page of the book is the autograph page – with "A market man's autograph" I had "Pete Loman, Thriftway" sign mine. Great book!

4 Tara March 16, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I didn't have one, but I got one for my daughter a few years ago. She loved filling it in. Seeing this post makes me want to dig it out and see what her responses were.

5 Whitney March 16, 2010 at 12:35 pm

This would be a great gift for my daughter's upcoming 4th birthday. Thanks for reminding me about it!

6 Alice March 16, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I'll have to get a copy for my little ones!

7 Lettie March 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Oh, I loved my book like that! I bet it is hiding in a box in the garage somewhere.

8 andrea nina March 16, 2010 at 1:01 pm

9 Ali March 16, 2010 at 1:09 pm

10 laurie -magpie ethel March 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm

11 Julia March 16, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Your hand outline is so much neater than mine — see that is how you became design mom and I am an "idea" person!!!! Thanks for bringing up such a great memory!

12 Design Mom March 16, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Love all these comments! I'm wondering where my own copy ended up. Maybe at my Mom's house…

13 Jenny March 16, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I had completely forgotten about this book! I loved it as a child. Thanks for bringing it back to memory.

14 Tara March 16, 2010 at 1:34 pm

15 Whitney March 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm

16 Alice March 16, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I'll have to get a copy for my little ones!

17 adrienne breaux March 16, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Aw I never did have this book when I was little, but I wish I did! What fun thing for kids to do, and then also to have to look back at when you're older! Jealous lol.

-adrienne

18 Lettie March 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm

19 Julia March 16, 2010 at 2:24 pm

20 Design Mom March 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm

21 Jenny March 16, 2010 at 2:29 pm

22 adrienne breaux March 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

-adrienne

23 Kathleen March 16, 2010 at 2:59 pm

thanks for reminding me about this book!

also, it's Seuss.

24 Lanie Ree March 16, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Whoa, I totally did! I had completely forgotten.

25 Kathleen March 16, 2010 at 3:59 pm

thanks for reminding me about this book!

also, it's Seuss.

26 Lanie Ree March 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Whoa, I totally did! I had completely forgotten.

27 {april kennedy} March 16, 2010 at 4:28 pm

My husband's copy, all filled in, is in our travel trailer. Every time we go camping we pull it out and the kids love it!

28 {april kennedy} March 16, 2010 at 5:28 pm

29 bilbiochic March 16, 2010 at 6:36 pm

that was my favorite as a child! my sister and i were reading through them a couple years ago and had the best time reminiscing. thanks for the memories!!!
xoxo

30 bilbiochic March 16, 2010 at 7:36 pm

xoxo

31 The Sweetest March 16, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Yes, my sisters and I all had our own copies of this. So fun for a kid to complete, and so entertaining to look back on years later.

32 the treat girl March 16, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Hi….I saw your blog featured in Better Homes and Gardens……stopping by to say hi! I never had one of these books when I was little, but I got it for all three of my kids when they graduated from pre-school….they're now 14, 13 and 6. They just had them out last weekend showing my Dad when he came to visit. They were cracking up over some of their answers….it's a favorite gift to give at birthday parties.

33 The Sweetest March 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm

34 the treat girl March 16, 2010 at 10:20 pm

35 Leslie March 17, 2010 at 5:29 am

Who could not love Dr Suess? I have several of his books. I still delight at reading them out loud & I'm an adult.

36 Leslie March 17, 2010 at 6:29 am

37 stephanie March 17, 2010 at 7:04 am

I had not one but two as a kid! Did one when I was about six and another a year or later. Can't wait to get one for my 7 yo, thx for the sweet memory.

38 stephanie March 17, 2010 at 8:04 am

39 Michelle March 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm

This was my favorite as well as my sister's. I still have mine! She bought me a copy at my baby shower to give to Finnegan when he is old enough. We're almost there & I can't wait.

40 Michelle March 17, 2010 at 1:24 pm

41 buttercup March 17, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Before my husband and I got engaged. I bought this book and filled it with information about me. It was really fun and my kids still love to look at the gift mommy made for daddy before we got engaged. (On the page where it talks about what you want for your birthday, I asked for a ring. I crossed out the part about if it's too expensive, forget it and wrote buy it anyway–I got the ring a couple days before my birthday :) )

42 buttercup March 17, 2010 at 3:14 pm

43 Melissa March 19, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I'm de-lurking to say, I HAVE THAT BOOK! It is so fun to see what I did when I was 5! My kids love it and have added their own bits to it, I'd love copies for each of them! Very cool! :)

44 Melissa March 19, 2010 at 3:28 pm