Belly

March 4, 2010

This is my belly.

Six pregnancies. A dozen years of baby-making. And this is the first time there’s been a record of what I look like while growing another human being.

These photos were shot by the lovely and talented Tracey Clark. That’s right. The founder of Shutter Sisters and keeper of the Mother May I blog. And they almost didn’t happen. We were in Houston for the Mom 2.0 Summit. Tracey suggested we do a photo shoot. I explained how non-photogenic I am. She assured me it would be great. So on a busy Saturday, just after I had spoken on the keynote panel, and then shot a bunch of video interviews for Kirtsy, I changed into something form fitting (Tracey’s brilliant suggestion) and met Tracey in her hotel room. We had 20 minutes before Tracey needed to speak on her own panel.

20 minutes.

And I almost canceled when I realized the time was so short. But I’m so glad I didn’t.

I love how the photos turned out. Tracey said all the right things to keep me comfortable during the shoot. She was fantastic. It was a treat to spend time with her. Thank you, dear Tracey!

What about you? Have you ever taken maternity portraits? Did you bare your belly? (I didn’t think I would dare, but then I went for it.) Come back later today for some lovely Tracey Clark Giveaway Goodness. In the meantime, here are some of my favorite takes from the shoot:

{ 3 trackbacks }

Underwater Maternity Photos | Family Style
October 7, 2010 at 1:27 am
Sex Ed | Suyok's Blog
November 14, 2011 at 7:51 am
Red Carpet Maternity | Carpeting Tips
January 17, 2012 at 10:16 am

1 Lauren March 4, 2010 at 11:52 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Aren't you so glad you have those photos?

2 Boston Mamas March 4, 2010 at 11:52 am

These photos are utterly beautiful and you, my dear, are indeed utterly photogenic! So glad you did not cancel! -christine

3 Marianne March 4, 2010 at 11:53 am

These are amazing! You look so gorgeous!

4 Kristin Jo March 4, 2010 at 11:54 am

Very lovely! I need to get on the ball about getting some done before its all over in May!

5 Kariane March 4, 2010 at 11:55 am

These are fantastic! You look simply beautiful.

6 amicarr09 March 4, 2010 at 11:56 am

Your preggo photos are beautiful, enchanting even. I'm glad you went for it. I think they will be just as special for your unborn baby to look back at these as they will be for you. You look absolutely lovely.

7 Dana March 4, 2010 at 11:56 am

8 roxanne March 4, 2010 at 11:59 am

These pictures really make me want to have another baby…too bad I never looked this good pregnant.

Gorgeous photos Gabby!

9 Full House March 4, 2010 at 11:59 am

THOSE ARE AMAZING! Some of the best maternity photos around.

10 Christy March 4, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Just gorgeous!

11 MamaEm March 4, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Beautiful! The right photographer can make a woman feel like a million dollars… and it shows in the photos. Nicely done here. She captured your glow!

12 Stephanie March 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm

These are stunning images. I love how Tracey incorporated so many other elements into the images to create interesting, but simple backdrops. The lighting is really pretty too. What an efficient use of 20 minutes!

awesome.

13 Kim March 4, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I have done pregnancy pictures with all 4 of my babies. I am so glad I did too. It is interesting to go back and look at them and see how I was feeling with each of them.
These are beautiful shots Mama!!!

14 Amber March 4, 2010 at 12:05 pm

6 pregnancies!! you look absolutely stunning. I had pictures taken by my cousin and I am really glad I did. I still can't believe how much my body changed…it is such a wonderful miracle.

thank you so much for sharing!

15 kia March 4, 2010 at 12:11 pm

You make a beautiful pregnant woman! Thanks for sharing.

16 Jessica March 4, 2010 at 12:12 pm

You look gorgeous!!!

17 bekapirwitz March 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm

i agree. these photos are absolutely gorgeous and you have the cutest belly ever!!!

18 zchamu March 4, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I see now why you've done this so many times – you're obviously excellent at it, gorgeous lady!

19 confused homemaker March 4, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Lovely photos. What a beautiful gift of memories to look back on.

20 amanda March 4, 2010 at 12:26 pm

These are exquisite. My husband snapped a photo at the end of my second pregnancy. It was unplanned and private (oh the granny undies) but I cherish it with all of my being. Though it is one child, somehow it captures each of my three pregnancies— the wonder and magic.

21 Erin Wallace March 4, 2010 at 12:32 pm

These are simply beautiful.

22 Courtney March 4, 2010 at 12:33 pm

those are some truly gorgeous photos.

23 mommyingaround March 4, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Nice! I think pregnant belly photos are a must take for all moms-to-be. It amazing how much your body changes and it's great to be able to look back on that. I'm not photogenic either so when we took my pictures, we focused on my chest and belly so most of the shots didn't even have my face in them. I was so impressed with how they turned out, I photoshopped them in black/white, touched them up and then framed them for our bedroom :) Thanks for sharing!

24 Damaris March 4, 2010 at 12:47 pm

these are wonderful and you'll love them for ever and so will your baby.

My favorite picture of my mom is one where she is pregnant of me.

25 Emily March 4, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Those photos are beautiful! I especially love the one with the cityscape in the background. I finally took photos with my fourth pregnancy and I'm so glad I did! (And yes, I even did some nude ones–tasteful, of course, with the important areas covered…and only my husband saw those!)

26 pepper March 4, 2010 at 12:52 pm

So lovely.

27 Raquel (NY) March 4, 2010 at 12:52 pm

These are fantastic! It will also be great to share them with the baby when she is old enough to see them. I suspect that you and I have the same due date. I wish I were as brave as you and got some pictures taken.

28 cay March 4, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Wow. Lovely photos. Those of us who hope to bear children also hope to look that great!

29 Jenny March 4, 2010 at 1:04 pm

These are great! I had some photos taken the day I had my third… we were in the hospital room with my doula and a girl that was shadowing her for my delivery. She brought her camera and took some photos, but unfortunately she had to leave suddenly and I never heard from her again. I would love to have seen them.

30 brittany March 4, 2010 at 1:04 pm

you've got some really great pregnancy genes. beautiful shots.

31 m e l March 4, 2010 at 1:42 pm

When I had my 3rd, and last, a year ago, I thought about having photos taken to document it. I didn't. These photos make me wish I had. They are beautiful.

32 NestBliss March 4, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Ya know I am not a pregnant belly picture person but these are really great and the mood is great and the setting is unique and is talks about where you were and what was going on in your life when you were pregnant – love them!

33 SarahSews March 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm

The photos are beautiful and I can only imagine looking that good after 6 pregnancies!

When I was pregnant with my son, I forced my hubby to take lots of photos of me. We had struggled for 3 years to conceive and had been through two losses. I didn't know how it would all turn out but I wanted photos to remind me of how I felt and looked and what it was like to grow him. Being pregnant was such a gift that I wanted to cherish just for me.
And yes, we took some naked belly shots. We did two sets at two different beaches. One at 32 weeks when we thought I might not be pg much longer due to complications and another at 37 weeks as we neared the end of my pg. I love them, stretch marks and all.

34 karey m. March 4, 2010 at 2:05 pm

this makes me tear right up! i don't know why, but the one of you at the window with the city outside?

just made my heart burst.

it's like, get ready, baby!

ugh. love love love.

35 LydiaB March 4, 2010 at 2:06 pm

At 34 and a half weeks pregnant, I got a wild hair and set my camera up in front of a curtain in our bedroom, set the auto timer and stepped in front. I remembered thinking that soon it wouldn't just be me and my little girl, soon I would share her with the world. I was so glad I paused to capture the moment, especially when I went into labor just a few days later!

36 Katie @ goodLife {eats} March 4, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I love all of them, but I think the 3rd one from the top is my favorite. You'd never know you were in a hotel room, so stunning! I haven't done maternity pics with my 2 pregnancies, and seeing how well done these are makes me kinda sad I didn't.

37 Sarah Bradley March 4, 2010 at 2:12 pm

You look simply stunning! I hope one day I can do pictures like this!

38 Emily March 4, 2010 at 2:38 pm

love it! i did bear my belly and while i NEVER enjoy seeing the photos now it is neat to have them :) you have ONLY gained in the belly, totally jealous of you for that!

39 Autumn March 4, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Wonderful photos! Never did preg portraits and never considered it, but if I looked like you during pregnancy, I would in a heartbeat! VERY nice.

40 bdaiss March 4, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Lovely photos. So glad you did it. For you and the kiddo.

A friend who was getting into photography asked if I'd be willing to take some photos when I was pregnant with my first a few years ago. We had so much fun and they turned out so beautifully. I was heartbroken when he moved to LA shortly before I became pregnant with #2. Luckily he came back for a wedding when I was about 7 months along. We found about an hour to squeeze in a shoot. The resulting images are a treasure to me.

41 MaryBeth Hughes March 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm

6 pregnancies–oh my! you look wonderful. i'm glad you took the time to capture yourself this way.

42 Torrie March 4, 2010 at 2:50 pm

These are lovely!

I took pictures of my belly every week when I was pregnant- even some nudes, and I cherish the photos.

Here's the set:

43 amy smart March 4, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Gorgeous photos, Gabby! I always looked forward to my belly-button 'popping' but it never did. Just a giant black hole. Maybe that is why I never did a belly shot. :(

44 michelle March 4, 2010 at 4:09 pm

You look amazing amazing. I love the idea of doing a pregnancy shoot for your last child. There's something so special about capturing all that your body has produced!

I only hope to look half as amazing as you!

45 Stop panic attacks March 4, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Wow you look fantastic. Beautiful, strong, healthy. You are amazingly photogenic, what are you talking about??
Blessings to you Mommy,
Jill

46 Bethany March 4, 2010 at 4:38 pm

How lovely! Wish I looked that great being pregnant, i'm jealous!

47 Anne March 4, 2010 at 4:43 pm

love the photos!
you are all belly and look wonderful!
too many scars and stretch marks here to actually show my belly, but it is neat to have a few pictures of changes. :)

48 Joy March 4, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Stunning!

49 Mauri March 4, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Love the pictures! You look beautiful pregnant. I took pregnancy pictures when I was pregnant with my little girl 3 years ago. I thought it would be my last pregnancy so I decided to go for it. My sister-in-law took the pictures, she's a wonderful photographer. I wasn't going to bare my belly, but she talked me into it and I was so happy with the beautiful shots she got.
Now I'm pregnant with my 5th baby, but I don't know if I'll do any this time.

50 Jessica Lords March 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm

YOU LOOK AMAZING. I cannot believe that you have had five other children, that is ridiculous. You just look incredibly fantastic. You should be absolutely in LOVE with your pregnant body, and I hope your husband is loving every minute of it.

51 Heather March 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm

These pictures are stunning. Beautiful photography, beautiful mommy.

52 MamaChristy March 4, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Non-photogenic, my big toe. Good for you!

53 maryland mortgage modification March 4, 2010 at 5:38 pm

These photos are so beautiful.

54 Lindsey Rose Johnson March 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm

You gorgeous lady, you. Gabby. You look great. I'm so excited for your new little #6. The world is a better place with more Blairs in it. XOXO

55 MsScreensiren March 4, 2010 at 7:33 pm

You look beautiful! Hard to believe this is a belly from #6.

56 Anonymous March 4, 2010 at 8:19 pm

What a beautiful baby belly. You're not so bad yourself =) I love baby bellies and I love rubbing them…myself or others who will let me. That reads weird but I promise I'm not crazy. I just think growing babies is amazing! And I love/loved the feeling of them moving.

57 janeen March 4, 2010 at 8:22 pm

gorgeous pictures!! i hope i stay in as good of shape during my pregnancy :)

58 Natasha March 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm

It sounds so hokey, but looking at those photos and seeing a mom who is pregnant with her sixth child just takes my breath away.

59 Kage March 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I am SO SO glad I got mine taken. I actually modeled through my pregnancy so have GREAT "souvenirs" of the whole thing, but I did do a special photoshoot. THISISCARRIE styled the shoot, so it was great to have her and my daughter as part of it. You can see the best ones here

I did a nursing photoshoot when the baby was 10 weeks old. I felt a bit shy and exposed thinking about the shoot, but the photographer made me feel so comfortable and I do not regret the experience. It is the first moment went I felt a deep love for my new baby.

60 stephanie March 4, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Beatific is what you are. Like something conjured by Raphael! Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing.

61 debra March 4, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I have a two and a half month old + just brought a nine year old son home from Haiti…

I thought it would take me a while to miss the pregnant belly…

these pictures just made it happen.

62 Tamara March 4, 2010 at 9:55 pm

These make me want to do this again! And my last round was TWINS :)

63 Tanya and Colin March 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Great pics! I can't believe that you have had 6 babies! What's your secret;)

64 Aly March 4, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Amazing photos. You are one gorgeous mama! I can't believe you have had 6 pregnancies! Looks like it's your first!

65 jill March 4, 2010 at 11:35 pm

BEAUTIFUL! You look amazing!

66 Michelle March 5, 2010 at 12:37 am

Stunning Gabrielle. Really really amazingly beautiful, lovely photos. What an unbelievable gift she has.

67 andrea nina March 5, 2010 at 1:27 am

absolutely gorgeous. the photos looks stunning. you look like a natural, and tracey has great talent!

68 ruthandnancy March 5, 2010 at 2:07 am

You look great! I think we are due in the same month, second daughter for me, and I kind of feel like I look great, too:)

69 mandiegirl March 5, 2010 at 11:02 am

Beautiful! I hope to look that awesome when I'm pregnant! :)

70 pieface March 5, 2010 at 11:40 am

It's like you're made just have babies. This CAN'T be the last one.

71 janelle perkins March 5, 2010 at 12:03 pm

6 babies and no stretch marks? You rock! Lovely photos!

72 stacie smith March 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm

She did a great job! Love all the curves.

73 Our Blog Spot March 5, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Oh my goodness. It is not possible to have better hair than yours. You have got to be kidding me. And that body had six kids ? Highly unlikely.

74 Barbie March 5, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I REALLY REALLY like these photos, especially in place of the nudie shots some do. You look beautiful, and I might just have to do something similar one day (the ultimate compliment, right?).

75 Julie Stephens March 5, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Awesome! I love belly shots! I had mine planned to the last detail, but preeclampsia cut that idea short! On the way to the hospital, we stopped by the studio and my husband ending up snapping a few. Oh, well, better luck next time. :-)

76 acutely cherished March 5, 2010 at 8:54 pm

These are amazing shots! Very tasteful!

77 sisters gulassa March 6, 2010 at 3:13 am

Oh my goodness, these are simply stunning! You are so impossibly tiny and perfect with this beautiful belly! My biggest regret was not making a photo shoot of the newborn and my naked body post-pregnancy, so I say now get this talented photographer to take a session of you and baby when its born! GORGEOUS!

78 Anonymous March 6, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Yikes!

79 queenoftheclick March 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm

You look so beautiful!

80 Jennifer James March 7, 2010 at 1:19 pm

You look stunning! Brought tears to my eyes. So beautiful!

81 gina March 7, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Absolutely beautiful. You make it look so good -

82 Venessa March 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm

how incredible! you look so amazing after 6 pregnancies! I hope I am blessed in the same way!

83 kayce hughes March 8, 2010 at 8:59 pm

jealous.

84 handmade charlotte March 8, 2010 at 10:17 pm

you are sooooooo pretty…

85 Stephanie March 9, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Non-photogenic? Um. No. The Opposite, actually.

You are beautiful!

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

86 Rebecca March 10, 2010 at 3:11 am

so beautiful

87 Mindy March 10, 2010 at 12:03 pm

These are beautiful! I can't believe they were shot in a hotel room!! How wonderful!

88 andrea March 12, 2010 at 8:56 am

These are beautiful and so inspiring!

89 jo March 12, 2010 at 12:12 pm

just beautiful!

90 ZDub March 16, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I love this series, you are a very lucky lady to have them.

And I cannot believe SIX, you are my hero!

91 ZDub March 16, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I love this series, you are a very lucky lady to have them.

And I cannot believe SIX, you are my hero!

92 Kerry D. March 23, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Beautiful! We didn’t hire a professional photographer for our wedding and I still regret that. So I was darn sure I wasn’t going to make that mistake when I got pregnant. I will treasure them always…and I can’t wait to give them to my daughter some day :)

93 Jennifer (Savor) March 23, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Thank you for letting us into such a personal part of your life. And you are very photogenic.

94 Erika at BluLabel Bungalow March 26, 2010 at 3:37 am

If I looked that great pregnant, I’d have six kids too! I’m at my max with three. You look beautiful, Momma…love then new blog design, too!

95 Elizabeth @Table4Five March 29, 2010 at 10:57 am

Absolutely gorgeous! My favorite is the one of you pushing back your hair while looking down. The look on your face as you contemplate your belly and the baby inside – it’s simply stunning.

Excellent work as always by Tracey, and if I didn’t say it already, congratulations Momma!

96 Bree Harris April 1, 2010 at 2:07 pm

You’re so tiny! Gorgeous photos I love them all!

97 caroline April 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm

how did i miss these? they are amazing. and you look like that after 6 of them (kids, that is)? i should only be so lucky after 1!

98 Amy M. April 5, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Gabrielle, you look fantastic. I am highly anticipating the arrival of your sweet little baby! Good luck! :)

99 Kendra April 19, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Wow, these are amazing! You and pregnancy mesh well. Thanks for sharing.

100 Martha April 26, 2010 at 11:23 am

I am so jealous of your skin, I sneeze and get stretch marks.