Everything I Have

February 16, 2010

I’m completely fascinated by this art piece. Simon Evans took a photo of every item that he owns and catalogued it here in one place. Part of me aches to do this. Would you ever? And doesn’t it look neato?

Seen on the fantastic new blog The Violet Hours — have you bookmarked it yet?

{ 2 trackbacks }

Links of the Week « Peppered Thought – The Spice of Life
January 18, 2013 at 3:03 pm
Stuff | home is with you.
February 4, 2013 at 8:31 pm

1 Mrs. Lexi February 16, 2010 at 1:03 pm

That's amazing, but I'm afraid I own way too much stuff to do that! I need to throw some junk out!

2 Susan February 16, 2010 at 1:04 pm

that is awesome!

3 Lynn from For Love or Funny February 16, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I'm amazed he was able to fit everything on one poster!

4 handmade charlotte February 16, 2010 at 1:06 pm

i really love this! but…… there is no possible way! maybe someone else could do it!yeah!

5 Hanna February 16, 2010 at 1:46 pm

That is cool! But it makes me want to throw away everything I own.

6 Erin February 16, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Wow — wouldn't it be cool to do that and find you have only a couple of dozen things?

7 Autumn February 16, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Poster looks cool but no WAY could I would I ever do that. Too much stuff. I love the blog you recommended-thanks.

8 Design Mom February 16, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Mrs. Lexi – me too! The whole idea instantly makes me realize how. much. stuff. I own.

Susan – Yes!

Lynn – I agree. Among the American population, I wonder if only a youngish bachelor could fit all his belongings on one poster.

Handmade Charlotte – Can you even imagine? Our books alone would be several posters. And our pantry…

Hanna – I haven't read much about his intentions when he created the piece, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least partly an effort to get people to own less. It had the same effect on me.

Erin – That would be a dream!

Autumn – So glad you like The Violet Hours. It's written by one of the writers at Parents Magazine.

9 Meredith February 16, 2010 at 4:01 pm

It looks amazing! Wouldn't it be fascinating if someone did it repeatedly, over a course of time? Like every 15 years…to see how what you own changes with who you are over time. It would take boat loads of dedication, though. Love the idea.

10 Chic Cookies February 16, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Brilliant way to contain life!! (I'd have to make my poster OED style, though, with an accompanying magnifying glass)

11 Stina February 16, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I love it…but I would need a MUCH larger poster…I think any girl would just because of shoes if nothing else :-)

12 erin February 16, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Oh, there was a simple time in my life when I could have done this easily, but the kids and husband are worth the extra "stuff" that would now make it impossible! (Not to say we couldn't pair down.)

13 mrs boo radley February 16, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Amazing!
"Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity," says Thoreau.

14 L February 16, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I would never do this. A complete and utter waste of time. Someone so creative as this should channel their energies into something that betters humanity. Truly. WTF!

15 liz stanley February 17, 2010 at 1:47 am

This is rad

16 jen February 17, 2010 at 1:56 am

hey, i feel like i just did that!
we moved last weekend!!

17 Katie Gonzalez February 17, 2010 at 5:38 pm

thats amazing, i really want to do that, too!!! but maybe get rid of a bunch of stuff first (which would probably be a good incentive!)

18 WarsawMommy February 18, 2010 at 3:24 am

I love that Simon Evans poster; this is totally something I'd do. Then I'd be all shocked at how much stuff I have and go all feng shui on my wardrobe. Then I'd do it again and compare the before and after. Then I'd get all depressed about the clothes and shoes and bags and books and knick-knacks I got rid of and have to go shopping. And the cycle would begin again.

So. Huh. Maybe I shouldn't do this, actually. Save myself a ton of crazy.

19 emily ballard February 18, 2010 at 3:45 am

There was a time in my life when just about everything my husband and I owned fit in the 14-foot camping trailer we lived in.

Looking at this poster and thinking about all of our current possessions (and subsequent confinement) sure makes me miss that time. . .

20 Liz from Paperbella February 18, 2010 at 9:10 am

This is the coolest poster yet!

21 heather February 22, 2010 at 12:01 am

incredible undertaking…scary thought…and cool image all in one! :-)

22 Gilles April 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I really wish there was a higher resolution of this so I could read all of the descriptions and see what all you have. I have cataloged everything I have in text but have not done the photographs yet. Did you take the pictures on like a white background and then minimize them in photoshop so you could print them out and put them on this poster?

23 Lisa October 4, 2012 at 5:48 pm

This is so freaky, yet amazing. Everyone should do this, me first, to see how happy or unhappy we are with all the stuff we surround ourselves with. I am known for having too much stuff (clothes and things things things, all kind of things). When we moved to a new house some years ago, I had the same number of boxes as all the other 3 members of my family together. Although tossing and sorting out and donating, it somehow keeps getting back to me. I am a sentimental cancer, so you can imagine I would probably need 7 days, 7 photographers and 7 sheets of A0 paper to document everything :(((

24 Joan January 18, 2013 at 8:12 pm

What a fantastic menu for would be theives!