Ask Design Mom — Calendars

February 8, 2010

Ask-Design-Mom-Question:

I’m looking for the perfect wall calendar that has beautiful pictures and squares for writing in each day. Have you found anything unique out there? Thanks! — Caroline

Design Mom Answer:
Great question, Caroline. Embarrassingly, I am super late to the calendar shopping game this year. I mean, goodness gracious, it’s February! Please excuse me. And now to your question. Since you’re looking for squares to write in, here are four beautiful options:

-This pretty patterned one by Letter C Design.
-A colorful, illustrated calendar by Jess Gonacha.
-Monthly illustrations featuring urban landscapes by Jen Oaks.
-Gorgeous, spare, collages from Gretchen Mist (on sale!).

These don’t have squares to write in, but I thought they were interesting and have been meaning to share them:

-I ADORE the illustrations on this one by Stephanie Fizer. Only 3 left!
-A print-your-own version to track birthdays.
-Are you a maker, a sewer, a crafter? You’ll love the pretty photos on the Purl Soho Calendar.

-A print-your-own version that would be
perfect in a smaller space.
-That’s fun. A calendar printed on fabric at Spoonflower.
-Use Shutter Sister’s template to add your own photos and display in a CD Case.
-This animal-themed calendar for kids is adorable. You can customize it. And then frame it as a series.

-Looking for a bold statement on the wall? This is your calendar. By SusyJack.
-Oh! I love this very modern letterpress design from See Saw. And it’s a bargain at $15.

How about you, Dear Readers? What is your calendar this year?

1 LittleNutmeg.com February 8, 2010 at 3:09 pm

We are in penny pinching mode so I opted for free printable :) but these are gorgeous to boot!
scroll down the page to find the free printables.

2 Erin February 8, 2010 at 3:09 pm

scroll down the page to find the free printables.

3 jill February 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Enjoy reading your post- when I can. Did you know your posts' font comes out really small in Reader. It is easier to read on your site, but it is still smaller than what we are used to.

I have entered the stage of my life where I have to wear "readers," but not when on the computer; except for yours.

Thought you might like to know … JILL

4 Dyan February 8, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Junior Society just did the same kind of story on really cool calendars!

5 Sam and Livi February 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm

those susy jack calendars are a perfect burst of boldness

6 k a t y February 8, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Ha! I thought I was the only one without a calendar (the lady at World Market certainly looked at me as such, the nerve!)

Just purchased Jen Oaks. How I long for the big city.

Thank you as always for the recommendations.

7 k a t y February 8, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Just purchased Jen Oaks. How I long for the big city.

Thank you as always for the recommendations.

8 k a t y February 8, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Just purchased Jen Oaks. How I long for the big city.

Thank you as always for the recommendations.

9 Jen February 8, 2010 at 6:50 pm

and, though you can't write on them, the Linnea calendars are my absolute favorite! So pretty in simple frames!

10 joolee February 8, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I've been eyeing this romantic one (maybe to put in our bedroom!):

And this fun, bright one with great prints for each month:

I remember seeing a simple calendar last year, but can't recall where I saw it – it's been on my mind since Jan. 1st! it was vertical, with the first letter of each month cut out and you could place your own fun paper or fabric behind it…catching my drift? Well if that rings a bell for anyone, let me know! It was a FAB idea for a calendar.

11 Cathi February 8, 2010 at 9:53 pm

The number one favorite calendar at our house is a Stendig. (stendigcalendar.com) It doesn't have pretty pictures but the days are plenty big enough for family activities and it's a work of art all by itself. Makes fun wrapping paper and all my grandchildren learned their numbers with it. My husband has had one every year since they first came out.

12 tara February 8, 2010 at 11:25 pm

i had the susy jack calendar last year — the 2010 was sold out last time i looked. she said she was printing more. hooray, they're in!

i had it 3-up on my wall and i especially loved it when i reached that uncomfy 3rd trimester. i loved having APRIL-MAY-JUNE up on the wall. he was due (and arrived!) on may 25 so i knew he'd definitely be here before JULY made an appearance.

13 Sierra February 9, 2010 at 10:45 am

I opt for a big one in the kitchen with pockets. My husband has a lot of deductions each year with his job; and I, lucky girl, have the job of keeping track of those reciepts. So he puts them in the folder for each month and I tally them up!

14 henzy February 9, 2010 at 3:50 pm

fabulously fun calendars..

15 Mamalang February 9, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I love Brenda's calendar that she created, and for 2 bucks and a little paper and ink, you can't beat the price!

16 Swede_Lady February 10, 2010 at 12:13 am

My sisters and I make a calender on Shutterfly.com with pictures of our kids. Each of the kids are born in a different month so they each have one month to be the spotlight. It's become a tradition and is looked forward to by the grandparents as a Christmas present.