What Grandma Really Wants for Christmas

December 11, 2009

If I was a really good daughter and a really good daughter-in-law, this is what I would be giving my Mothers for Christmas. I’ve posted about Geneartogy before — basically, it’s an easy-to-use, online service that helps you build a beautiful family tree. A ready-to-be-framed presentation. And the site keeps track of your work so you can do the project over time as you collect information.

You can do four generations. Or if, it’s too intimidating to track down that many photos, they also offer a format with only 3 generations of photos. I’ve seen them displayed with complete photos and complete names. I’ve seen them displayed with partial photos and complete names. Either way, they look pretty fantastic.

Really, I should team up with my brothers and sisters and we could all split up the research and track down the info and get one of these put together in no time. And once it’s done, we could give it out to every sibling, every aunt and uncle and cousin and win the prize for best-relative-ever and never have to be in charge of the family reunion. : )

What about you, Dear Readers. Who would you make one of these for?

P.S. — If I don’t make my mothers a Family Tree display, I think I’ll get them a copy of Richard Rife’s book, Honoring Christmas in My Heart. My friend Laura sent me a copy (her good father wrote the book) and I didn’t know what to expect, but I really enjoyed it. Lots of great memories and stories from a man who loves this holiday. Plus a simple defense of Santa (what’s with the Santa-haters?) that I appreciated. Also. It’s hard to beat a $7 gift.

1 Made With Love - Oregon December 11, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Where can I get a full sized version of the second family tree???

My mother in law would die for that.

madewithloveoregon@gamil.com

2 Jen December 11, 2009 at 2:05 pm

love the family tree- I did that for my parents a few years ago and they loved it!

check out this auction I am participating in for two children in need of transplants. today and tomorrow only! http://www.placetobloom.blogspot.com/

3 Amy December 11, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I have been wanting to do that for a long while! I have all of the research done (and more…), but I kind of wanted to make one myself. Any ideas on how you might go about that?

4 Becky December 11, 2009 at 5:04 pm

these really are beautiful – I love the idea of having pictures so my children can SEE their relatives they come from

5 Faith December 11, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Love the trees and also enjoyed Richard's book. My husband used to work for him and Richard sent us a copy. We ordered a bunch to give as gifts to give to neighbors and friends.

6 John & Jennifer Savage December 11, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Design Mom, I'm so glad you said something about the Santa-haters! I am bewildered every time I read about another person that doesn't want their kids to believe in Santa. I just don't get it (and I've heard all of the excuses out there).

7 John & Jennifer Savage December 11, 2009 at 11:47 pm

8 John & Jennifer Savage December 11, 2009 at 11:47 pm

9 Yo-yo Mama December 15, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I thought this sounded like a great idea to start for my own family. After I created an account, I found that filling out the information is confusing. It should have a way to indicate what's 1st gen, 2nd gen, etc., etc., but instead it just is a "here's the number on the tree and that's the name/picture you fill in". In other words it doesn't help guide you on paternal or maternal side.

Also annoying? No more than 25 spaces allowed for names. My husband's name has 26. Older generations with their long old fashioned names will not fit.

10 Diana December 16, 2009 at 10:12 am

I'm glad to see this book on here. My husband and I both served in Pres. Rife's mission and he is the missionary whom one of the stories is about! How fun! Thanks for sharing!

11 Colleen December 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm

My mother-in-law would love the family tree as well; this year I made her a piece of art with all of the silhouettes of the grandchildren in her family. I am so excited to give it to her. You can check it out here: http://www.craftpad.com/2009/12/handmade-holiday-gifts-sneak-peek.html

Merry Christmas!

12 Janet Balcomb October 3, 2012 at 7:35 pm

What I would like to do is makea King sige Comforter & havethe beanches like a real tree & then put an apple on a limb & put pic & dates of each person on the tree. Am having a hard time finding a pattern of a family tree to fit a King Size sheet so I can embordiory all the colors in & then make little frames with the pic & date & put on tree. I know it would be lots of work, but well worth it in the end. If anyone knows where I can get a pattern or if you know of someone who could draw it to fit a King size sheet, would love to hear from you.

13 Mary Webb October 25, 2012 at 9:20 am

These family trees are beautiful! They are the closest ones to being what I have been searching for, but not quite there. What I really want a tree that looks like this only the ancestors would be the roots under the tree. On the tree would be our parents, their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren. Of course, it would have to be turned in the “portrait” format to allow room for the “roots”. Any chance of this coming in the future or do you know where I could get one as described?