I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Ours went too fast. But we started making the sibling gifts over the weekend — which was very exciting. Here’s the link to our 2009 sibling gift plan. The first thing we made? Maude decoupaged a sketchbook for Ralph. (Note: my apologies for the dark photos. We have to sneak in these projects whenever we can — and don’t always have ideal picture taking scenarios.)
Maude started with a pretty typical sketchbook we found at Borders, then she marked off a 1.25 inch border on the cover.
Next, she cut images out of magazines and catalogs and collected other images from around the house. These were all trimmed down to 1.5 inch squares. Maude was able to work in an iTouch image, a letter R and other references she knew Ralph would like.
She used Mod Podge and a foam brush to attach the images within the penciled border. Afterwards, she painted on 3 more layers of Mod Podge on top of the images — letting them dry between each layer.
It turned out really cool — she’s excited to give it to Ralph. Before she wrapped it up, she inscribed the inside back cover.
Want more ideas? Here are links to what we’ve made in past years:
- Tutu, decoupaged bucket for matchbox cars, after-school bags, tiedye tees
- Flower headbands
- Wool mittens from recycled sweaters, embellished dragon mittens, sculpey bracelets, bibs, snowglobes and romper stompers made from cans
- Bubble bath, circle loom scarf
- Ribbon barrettes, painted t-shirt
- Bean bags, heating pad, hand chalk (for gymnastics), iPod cover