Ask Design Mom Week — Legwarmers

November 4, 2009

Question:
My daughter Rosie has just started kindergarten, and her school requires uniforms (white tops + navy or khaki bottoms or dresses). Of course she prefers skirts and dresses or jumpers, but all the ones we have are above the knee, and she complains her legs get chilly. In my school uniform days, cable-knit knee socks were the norm, but I’ve got my heart set on finding her some sweet scrunchy legwarmers, preferably in cream or navy — not sure wild colors would be uniform-approved. Have you seen any darling school-day legwarmers recently? Thanks!! — Amanda T.

Answer:
Legwarmers! Love the question, but I don’t have a ready answer. For baby-size, there are several options (like the leggies pictured from Oeuf). And I remember my last 3 pairs of grown-up-size legwarmers were purchased at a dance supply store, H&M; and Target. But I don’t remember seeing kid-size legwarmers lately.
So I’ll turn this question over to my Dear Readers.

Dear Readers, have you seen any great sources for school-kid legwarmers?

1 Chels November 4, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Target in the girls underwear and sock section…hurray they maybe seasonal! Did you check etsy for a seller that could make a few for you in those colors?

2 Anonymous November 4, 2009 at 9:34 pm

If you are up to making your own legwarmers, they are super easy to make with the Knifty Knitter looms. See directions here: http://www.provocraft.com/projects/projects.php?prdindex=kniftyknitter&dsp=project&idnum=37

3 Raleigh-Elizabeth November 4, 2009 at 9:41 pm

there are TONS on etsy.

4 Raleigh-Elizabeth November 4, 2009 at 9:42 pm

also, you can usually ask the sellers to make a seperate listing for you in the colors/fabrics you prefer, so if you wanted to go whole hog and get some cashmere ones, for example, with little navy hearts on cream background, you could.

5 Tamra November 4, 2009 at 9:45 pm

I bought some from Hanna Andersson, which seam to wash and wear well. But, my daughter's teacher told her they are not allowed with uniforms. I suggest you check with your school before you buy.

6 Lin November 4, 2009 at 10:02 pm

You can make baby legwarmers out of childrens socks. Cut just above the heel and fold up to the inside and sew them. I imagine the same could be done using the appropriate sized socks or maybe even the arms of an old sweater with elastic added.

7 Autumn November 4, 2009 at 10:10 pm

babylegs.com

8 Autumn November 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Also mylittlelegs.com

9 Em November 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm

they're very popular with cloth diapering mamas so there are millions of tutorials online on how to make your own from any pair of socks. i like this tute, myself: http://littlenannygoat.blogspot.com/2009/03/babylegs.html
good luck!

10 Kate@ Kids and Cocktails November 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm

American Apparel has kid leg warmers. Saw them last night!

11 Amy November 4, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I made some for my two year old, but they are so scrunchy that they would probably fit a 5 year old! I just took an old sweater, cut the arms off, sewed a seam at the cut, and strung elastic through. SUPER easy and they turned out darling!!! Here's a link to the pictures. http://urbanpioneerwoman.blogspot.com/2009/10/make-your-own-baby-legs.html

12 eve November 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm

oh! now i want cable knit knee socks!
do they even have them anymore? and for grownups?

13 Lin November 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Just saw cable knit knee socks at target the other day – with the women's stockings.

14 the emily November 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Snuggle Luv–www.snuggleluv.com

15 Leah November 5, 2009 at 12:42 am
16 vfg November 5, 2009 at 8:26 am

I had good luck with using adult-sized long socks for little girls' legwarmers. I bought a bunch of funky ones at Target, clearanced out, and just cut off the feet. I was going to hem them or, as suggested in Amanda Soule's first book, sew the tops of another pair of socks to the cut end (which is exactly how my $16 baby legs brand ones look like they're made), but the cut end just rolls neatly and we've left them like that. The adult-sized socks have a nice scrunch to them that a childs' size would lack.

17 sallyavena November 5, 2009 at 10:34 am

Hannah Anderson has colorful ones. Not sure about solid colors. There's also tutorials out there of making them from the sleeves of old sweaters.

18 Amanda T. November 5, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Thank you everybody!! I really love the idea of using adult socks and chopping off the feet, or taking the arms off of old sweaters…

High five to Design Mom for putting my leg warmer quest out there! Just in time, too, it's chilly here! :)

19 Alicia W. November 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

hanna andersson has solid colored leg warmers for school age girls. They are very cute!

20 Heather - CROQZine.com - Dollarstorecrafts.com November 7, 2009 at 12:31 am

Buy a dollar store scarf and sew it into legwarmers! http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2009/09/scarf-to-baby-legs/

21 Jennifer July 23, 2010 at 6:24 pm

My 9 year old daughter is going to 5th grade. She wants to dress cooler than her 8th grade sister! I want her to dress her up like a little girl! What do I do? HELP!