Ask Design Mom — Embroidery on Stockings

November 16, 2009

Ask Design Mom Question:

I’ve made felt stockings for Christmas and want to embroider our names on the top. Any suggestions for how to do this without an embroidery machine?? I want a chic style (I think I have the ability to do a satin stitch on my machine though…)
Thank you so much. — Carissa R

Design Mom Answer:
Sounds like fun! I haven’t personally done much embroidery since my tween years in the 4-H, but I’ve noticed a couple of inspiring embroidery images on my sister Jordan’s blog. I’m not sure that they are the styles you have in mind, but both the ribbon embroidery and the negative space embroidery seem super chic to me.

What do you suggest, Dear Readers? Any embroidery experts out there that can offer advice, ideas or source links?

Fruit & veggie image here. Hello image here.

1 liz stanley November 17, 2009 at 12:39 am
2 Lynn from For Love or Funny November 17, 2009 at 6:16 am

Wow, I love the negative image look. I must confess that I have a husqvarna embroidery machine, and it does a far better job than I could hope to do by hand. :)

3 craftyashley November 17, 2009 at 11:01 am

I really love the negative image, too! But I fear I would really mess it up! :)

4 mana | www.mercatore.com November 17, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I love the negative too! It's modern and different than what we usually see.

5 julia November 17, 2009 at 6:49 pm

don't be afraid of the flaw, i say . . . i handletter embroidered my husband's initials on his stocking as a gift (newlywed-ish) and while it's a little funky–it looks like it is made with love! i bought a hand knit stocking from etsy and then i used embroidery thread to make some chunky initials–long stroke stitches. it looks cool–i wish i could show you some pictures!? (is there a way to upload here?)

6 Leah November 18, 2009 at 11:24 am

I do hand embroidery, and I find http://www.sublimestitching.com to be great for modern stuff. My favorite basic book is Embroidered Monograms & More by Leisure Arts. I have used those designs for LOTS of presents.

7 Kristi November 18, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Has great embroidery tutorials with good photos. Embroidery is easy! One tip from me is the thicker the thread, the better it looks–it's more forgiving of crooked lines and such. Beware of the French knot. Deceptively easy but when it doesn't work, it's a mess!

8 happykatie November 22, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I'm a huge fan of a couple of crewel books that might offer inspiration: Doodle Stitching (by Aimee Ray) + The New Crewel (by Stephanie Shaughnessy).

For embroidery with a little edge, Sublime Stitching patterns and books are… well, sublime :)