Donna McEvoy’s Pregnancy Thoughts

October 2, 2009

My mom and baby me.

Navajos believe that those closest to the Spirit World are new babies, pregnant women, and the very old. That’s because babies are newly arrived from the Spirit World, the expecting mother is in contact with the SW, and the old person will soon depart for the SW. (Navajo friends, correct me if necessary).

It fits. As a lady-in-waiting, you feel a Spirit close, and the new babies, well, we all arrive as Wordsworth says: “…trailing clouds of glory do we come…from God who is our home.”

PS: In later years a hysterectomy gave me a new realization. The surgery made me feel cut off from the Eternities. As a women capable of bearing children, I had felt that privileged connection.

From my Mother, Donna McEvoy (who is on a mission in Russia, by the way).

Stanley Christmas card photo from 1976. Jake, Rachel, Sara, Joshua and me.

Note from Design Mom: My parents worked as teachers among the Navajo Nation for years. In fact, my oldest brother Jake, is a member of the Navajo tribe.

1 Alisha October 2, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Where I grew up is only a few miles from the Navajo reservation in New Mexico. I have lots of friends that are Navajo. Small world.

2 Stacy October 2, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I have loved reading the Pregnancy Thoughts posts. As a mother of 4, I feel an automatic connection to other women who see the beauty in bringing children into the world.

3 Sarah October 2, 2009 at 12:29 pm

My favorite one yet. And – you look just like Betty and Oscar! :)

4 Artfulife October 2, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Gabrielle my dad went on a mission to the Navajo reservations in the 4 corners area. I have always enjoyed his stories about the quiet and humble people he taught the gospel. Love this, never heard it before but it does make so much sense. Hope you have a great weekend & congratulations on your upcoming addition to your family.

5 Beth October 2, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I've really enjoyed your motherhood posts. It was perfect timing, I am 12 weeks along and feeling pretty blech and this was a wonderful reminder of why we put ourselves through morning sickness and other various pregnancy discomforts. It really is the most amazing thing- motherhood. Congratulations on your pregnancy and thanks for the great posts!

6 Amy October 2, 2009 at 7:45 pm

loved it. thanks for sharing.

7 Raymond October 3, 2009 at 7:38 pm

why can't i view your september 2006 archive? there was a picture of a bedroom that i wanted to replicate.

8 Amanda October 4, 2009 at 1:57 pm

I am sitting on the precipice of huge change as my 3rd, and presumably, last baby prepares to wean. 3 in 4 years. An abundance of riches in so many ways. Congratulations on your beautiful life and wondrous family!

9 Petit Elefant October 5, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I love how much your kids with Ben Blair look so much like a combination of your baby photos and his.

Seriously, a perfect combination of two parents.

10 Anonymous October 6, 2009 at 7:28 am

Very interesting to learn about the Navajos! Is your brother adopted Gabby?

11 Patty October 6, 2009 at 10:30 am

I just had a hysterectomy after giving birth to four beautiful children. I do not feel cut of from the enternities of birth giving women. My uterus does not make me who I am. I loved it for allowing me to have my kids, but its work was done and for my overall health it needed to go.

Peace!

12 Kelly October 6, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Gabby, little Maude is your twin. What a beautiful baby you were.