All In The Details — by Guest Mom Kristy Glass

October 26, 2009

When the store-bought costume is not doing it for you, you gotta take things into your own hands. When I decided; “I am going to be Mrs. Incredible,” and I found Disney’s Mrs. Incredible costume online to be UNcredible, I needed to take matters into my own hands.

I pulled up an image of Mrs. Incredible from the Pixar film and compared the two side by side: What? Horror! I was amazed at how lame Disney’s offering was.

The boots were not tall enough, neck too thin, and where are the gloves? I started staring at this cartoon picture and trying to figure out how my non-seamstress self could make my own costume.

I ordered black gloves, black briefs, black tall boots and a full-body red unitard. I stopped by the fabric store to get some orange and black stretch fabric to add to the waistband and neck of the unitard. I also picked up some felt and glitter to create the “i” graphic on the chest.

My sewer friend whipped that orange waistband on the briefs and the black on the outside of the neck. I spent an evening burning my fingers (literally) glueing that incredible logo together. The last thing I needed to do was order the black makeup from Ben Nye, and voila! I had a much more incredible costume then the store-bought, and for around the same price.

As an added bonus, I already had a short sassy hairdo similar to Mrs. I, and the big booty to boot!

I know this is a good costume because 4 other friends have borrowed it. I have also worn it for school appearances at my daughter’s schools and sometimes the prospect of wearing that costume again someday in the future, is all the motivation I need to do my morning workout.

This year I have used the Mrs. Incredible Model to put together 2 costumes that I am pleased-as-punch about.

My daughter will be Olivia Pig, from the Olivia books by Ian Falconer. Her outfit is modeled after the illustration on the cover of Olivia Counts. Each piece (striped tights, striped shirt, white blouse, jumper) will be worn the rest of the year as separates and together for upcoming holidays (Christmas, Valentine’s Day). I had no guilt purchasing these items as they will be worn again! (Unlike the Judy Jetson store-bought catastrophe that looks cute but wears MEH, that my other daughter insisted upon purchasing!)

I had to make the ears and for fun I made a duct-tape purse to go with it. I enjoy having a little hand-made bit of the costume, preferably one that does not involve me sewing.

Also this year I have used the Mrs. Incredible Model for
my own costume. I chose to be Cruella Deville, circa 1960’s. I bought each piece off ebay: red boots, red gloves, black vintage dress, white furry coat, wig. After studying the cartoon drawings of Ms. Deville, I decided to get some green jewelry as well. My good friend etsy helped me find just the right set of earrings and a ring.

So, there you have it! Incredible Costumes, to make your Halloween the most memorable!

Find more from Kristy at her blog Glass Posse.

1 Adventures In Babywearing October 26, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I LOVE these!!

Steph

2 kj October 26, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Looking oh so fabulous! Great how to hints too.

3 oh amanda October 26, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Incredible, indeed.

Yowza!

4 Kari October 26, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Good excuse to buy killer boots!

5 Melissa Jade October 26, 2009 at 8:30 pm

what website did you get those briefs from? I adore the costumes!

6 leta joy October 26, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Completely awesome costumes. Well done!

7 Petit Elefant October 26, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Fabulous Kristy!

8 {lovely little things} October 26, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Olivia the pig, what a cute costume!

9 tara October 27, 2009 at 12:02 am

dang! i'm pretty sure i couldn't rock those costumes as well as you do! good work!

funny, one year i did olive oyl and was surprised, when i studied the original cartoon character, how different it was from what i remembered.

i believe in character accuracy, or closer-to-accuracy, too! if you're gonna do it, why not go all out?

10 Kage October 27, 2009 at 5:50 am

MJ, got it from a dance or cheerleader supply website or eBay shop… The red unitard I ended up finding on a dance supply site that repurposed old costumes, it was like 10 bucks….

11 MelissaS October 27, 2009 at 11:47 am

Do you have links for the Olivia costume separates? What a great costume that can be repurposed.

12 Kage October 27, 2009 at 11:56 am

MelissaS- tights off eBay, jumper and white blouse, in person at H&M striped shirt gymboree off eBay… I made the ears with wire, felt, old headband and hot glue and ribbon… Purse out of red duct tape…

13 MelissaS October 27, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Thanks!

14 Elysia October 27, 2009 at 12:04 pm

haha omg Kristy these are amazing. I'm also totally for character costume accuracy, you did awesome! :)

15 Quinn October 27, 2009 at 2:01 pm

OMGoodness!! I LOVE these ideas! Your Mrs. Incredible is WAY better than the Disney one – how lame is that one?! And I melted over the Olivia costume. Sooooo stinkin' cute!

16 Mary October 27, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Love your costumes. My husband and I have been getting into the spirit of Halloween the past few years. This year I am going as Cheetara from Thundercats. I cannot wait. I am thinking about Mrs. Incredible for next halloween!

17 Kage October 27, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Quinn, I am pretty happy with how Olivia turned out. My little one has the attitude to go with it!

Mary, I had to google Cheetara because I am unfamiliar and that totally rocks. I love the colors and the makeup! If you can do her face this year, Mrs. Incredible next year will be a piece of cake…the hardest is part if the bridge of the nose.

18 This is Carrie October 27, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I can personally attest to the awesomeness that is the Mrs. Incredible costume. It has traveled across the country to make it's appearance our our Halloween party a couple years ago. Totally Killer. Kristy is the queen of Halloween.

19 justJENN October 28, 2009 at 2:12 pm

OH that Olivia is darling!!

20 Sabrina May 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm

hey, I was looking for a Ms. Incredible costume online and yours is the best one by far. Do you also make costume to sell or only for personal use?

21 unaprix.com March 7, 2014 at 7:11 am

Never seen a better post! ICOCBW

22 nicole August 2, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Hi there!

I Love the way you’ve put this costume together, and I’ve wanted to be Mrs. Incredible for a while now. However, all the full-body red unitard I can find on ebay and such stores are around $70!

Any idea where I could find it much cheaper?

Love your boots too by the way :)

Thanks

23 Paige Still October 2, 2010 at 7:24 am

I would love the instructions to make the Olivia pig ears. I am going to dress up as Olivia at the opera and I’m having a hard time finding ears that are big enough.
Thanks!
Paige

24 Israel Robles "Rofideo" February 23, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I am searching references and find your images.

Just want to say its great work!

By the way your Mr. Incredible should be the happiest man on earth ;-)

You are a pretty mom and have a cute daughter.

25 Kim September 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Just found this because I’ve always wanted to be Mrs. Incredible, too! Thanks for the ideas! Looks great!! Wish I could be lucky enough to find the unitard as cheap. :D

26 Erica G September 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

Hey! this costume is great! and i’m planning on making my own for Halloween and also my new job at Magic time machine, (a restaurant where people wou work there dress up as characters) i was wondering though, where you bought your unitard, i have been trying to find a plain one but i can’t find one for less than 35… and since im only 16 i dont have a billion bucks to make my costume :/…if you could email me with an idea i’d really appreciate it!! :D

27 alicen October 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Love the costume! Kristy, I am a secret stalker. :) My kids used to watch the Eebeee Baby shows (which I LOVE) and I just thought you were the cutest thing. And then I saw you on that show was it Runway Moms? And then just last night I saw your I am a Mormon Youtube video. Your video really struck a chord with me. Your story is a lot similar as far as growing up with a distant father and trying to rise above that pain. I was bawling last night! And then I see you on this blog. Life is just weird sometimes. :) Anyways, just wanted to let you know that I admire you so much for your strength and your JOY! I would love an invite to your blog, but understand if it’s just for people you know. Have a great Halloween week! :)

28 MARIA August 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm