Weekend Report

September 8, 2009

We played all weekend with our friends the Lattins. Saturday night we hit the divey Morrison Inn for chimichangas. Sunday we all spent the afternoon in our newly painted rocking chairs. And Monday we ate watermelon in their shady backyard before hitting the neighborhood pool. We ended the weekend with shakes, onion rings and burgers at Fatburger.

By the way, if you get the chance, I highly recommend the half-a-watermelon idea. It was a wonderful (easy) way to spend a sunny afternoon. Tell me about your weekend. Did it feel like an end of summer celebration? Anyone ready to start thinking Halloween?

I’m thinking this image captures “end of summer” pretty perfectly.

1 Girl con Queso January 7, 2007 at 11:16 pm

I love Tabla. I love sponge rollers. And I LOVE a good weekend!

2 laurie January 8, 2007 at 9:09 am

what a lovely sounding weekend! every bit of it.

our next door neighbor had a trampoline when i was growing up. your assessment about your job as a mother is pretty much right. we spent every waking non-school, non-homework, non-mealtime minute there. astoundingly, no-one ever got hurt, so the fun didn’t end til we all got our drivers licenses.

and if your kids are happy with nothing but a trampoline and a fridge stocked with yogurt and apples, you’ve obviously done your job well up to this point!

3 robin k January 8, 2007 at 10:44 am

Great picture.

4 Mom in Mendon January 8, 2007 at 11:08 am

Beautiful Olive.

5 Girl con Queso January 8, 2007 at 11:51 am

Also, I think you should publish your chicken pot pie and berry pie recipes.

6 kathryn January 8, 2007 at 1:58 pm

Their hair looked very very cute yesterday and she’s just gorgeous!

7 Juliane January 8, 2007 at 11:56 pm

Beautiful picture. This takes me back to the Saturday nights when my sisters and I would watch the Donny and Marie show after our baths while my Mom put pink sponge rollers in our hair. What a memory!

8 chloe's mom January 10, 2007 at 7:12 am

This photo is absolutely yummy! You go Olive!~

9 Karen June 15, 2009 at 12:29 pm

HaPpY (belated) BiRtHdAy!!!!
Sorry you weren't feeling well but happy you're better.
Had a fun weekend spending time with family. :)

10 Alicia W. June 15, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Sorry you were sick on your birthday…how miserable! But I had to laugh at the coincidence of your reading material. We just selected that book as our first family book club title! I am glad to hear you liked it.

11 Smiling Mama June 15, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Happy belated birthday! Enjoy that cake!

12 Diana June 15, 2009 at 1:01 pm

hi, you don't know me but I read your blog all the time, scary, I know… but I read that book too and loved it. I imagined the main character as Emma Thompson, don't you think they should make a movie? Oh and Happy Birthday.

13 ellen June 15, 2009 at 1:29 pm

My weekend was awesome–my friends and I drove to New York City (from Boston). We walked all over and chased food the whole weekend and I went to my first Broadway show (Phantom). I heart New York!!

14 Scattering Lupines June 15, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Relaxing. Refreshing. Everything a weekend should be!

15 robin k June 15, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Happy Birthday, Dear Gabby! Hope that cold leaves quickly!

16 Lauren June 15, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Isn't that a lovely book?

Hope you are feeling better. I'm sure after that amazing breakfast you must be. : )

17 Mauri June 15, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Happy Birthday! Sounds like the perfect birthday actually, I wish I could have snuggled up in bed all day with a good book for my birthday! Thanks for the book recommendation, I've had my eye on that book for a little while now.

18 Natalie June 15, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Thank you for the HOSM in Denver. It was great. Hope you feel better!

19 Helén, Norway June 15, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Hi! Just found your blog and already loving it, keep up the good work…and of course happy Birthday, and hope you are feeling better from your cold!

My weekend ( live in Norway, Scandinavia) was with familiy great weather and lot of outdoor activities!!

ps
(Do you like Scandinavian design?)

20 Jennifer June 15, 2009 at 4:33 pm

We would love to see pics of that cake once it is made…and absolutely would need the recipe for sure!

21 Jenelle June 15, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Happy belated Birthday! What a great breakfast- haha. That is so sweet of your kids though!

22 kh June 15, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Happy Birthday! That book is fantastic–I agree.

23 Kate Buckley June 15, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Happy Birthday! I am staying up way too late every night reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and I've got the bags under my eyes to prove it. Fantastic story.

24 Sylvia {+ Mark} June 16, 2009 at 8:20 am

Happy Birthday…colds are rotten but what a lovely silver lining! I agree about the Guernsey book…one of the better recommendations you received.

"Lavinia" is beautiful but not as engaging and gripping.

25 Itty_Bitty_Wittes June 16, 2009 at 8:33 am

I hope you had a great birthday and I am super glad you hosted in Denver! :) I hope you feel better and that your week is great! It was so nice to meet you!

26 Wendy @ The Shabby Nest June 16, 2009 at 8:57 am

Hi Gabrielle…we share a birthday! So Happy Birthday to you! (My family told me when I was little that the whole country flew the flag for my birthday…I believed it for a long time!)

27 Christy June 16, 2009 at 10:32 am

I read that book this weekend too! Love Juliet and her quirky style. And Isolde and the motorcycle, with Sir William and the parrot on his shoulder. I laughed out loud. Do people like that really exist, and if so, where are you friends??

28 joolee June 16, 2009 at 10:40 am

Isn't that book so wonderful?? I loved it too. Happy Belated bday!

29 Heather June 16, 2009 at 10:59 am

I just finished that book too! I loved it!
Happy birthday!

30 Moni and G Shipp June 16, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Hi I LOVE your Blog!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Question: When is the next HOSM in Salt Lake City? Will you ever have one there again? Thanks!

31 Design Mom June 16, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Moni, there's a Hands On Session in Salt Lake City tonight. Find out info here: http://handsonkirtsy.com

32 ~shari~ June 16, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Loved this book also! Just read it last month…it was delightful!

33 Kelly June 17, 2009 at 11:35 am

I read the book not too long ago. A gem of a novel. Quite delightful!

34 Donna September 8, 2009 at 1:12 pm

That is how we eat our watermelon. When I was pregnant I ate two whole ones in one week!

35 A Girl September 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm

we bought our little princess her first princess dress this weekend at the Disney store ($10 off all dresses) for Halloween!

We're so ready!

36 amyks September 8, 2009 at 1:39 pm

We took our boat from Boston to Provincetown, with 2 other families. We "rafted" our boats together on a mooring and "camped out" 6 adults, 9 children, 9 years to 3 years old. It was hot, it was cold, it was calm, it was windy…it was amazing fun! A perfect way to end the summer in the Northeast. Oh and we went whale watching, too. That was spectacular, the whales were so close to our boat, you could almost feel their spray.

37 Aymee September 8, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Very fun weekend. And heck yeah, I'm SO excited to think about Halloween. This year is going to be a blast. Can't wait to see what you have to share:)

38 KatieJ September 8, 2009 at 4:35 pm

It's hotter than heck where I live but it will still be that way when Halloween rolls around- I have started thinking about it since it's all over the magazines and catalogs in the mail! We celebrated yesterday with swimming and mexican food with family- yum! I love the watermelon idea! My kids would be in heaven!

39 m e l September 8, 2009 at 4:48 pm

You've made friends with Becky?? How funny – our families go way back – Weiser days.

small world.

40 likeschocolate September 9, 2009 at 7:39 am

Looks like everyone had a great time!!!

41 topsyturvydays September 9, 2009 at 11:27 am

I love this watermelon idea. It involves two of my kids favorite things eating and a good hose down afterwords. I'll have to try it out soon. September is the best summer month here in the SF bay area. But I am looking forward to fall!

42 meplus3 September 9, 2009 at 11:32 am

When my boys get bigger, we're totally going to do the 1/2 watermelon challenge. They're not yet 2 and love watermelon. My husband would love it as well. Can't wait

43 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com September 6, 2011 at 11:59 am

mmmm…. now I’m hungry for some watermelon!