Musee Mecanique

September 1, 2009

I’m remembering all the fun, touristy things we were able to do in San Francisco (in no particular order):

-Walked on the Golden Gate Bridge.
-Swam at Chrissy Field (not technically the Pacific ocean because we were in the bay, but we’re counting it).

-Visited the Lucasfilm campus in the Presidio.

-Had custom fortune cookies made.
-Picked up charming candy at Miette in Hayes Valley.

-Ate deep dish pizza at Patxi’s.

-Had Ralph’s Birthday Dinner at Terzo.

-Picked up ice cream at Bi-rite Creamery — I had brown butter pecan and salted caramel.

-Saw Ferney Studio on Valencia street.
-Hung out at the Ferney’s and the Stanley’s cool apartments.
-Rode a cable car.

-Ate fresh crab and shrimp from a Fisherman’s Wharf vendor.

-Visited Musee Mecanique — and took photos in a vintage photobooth. (All the photos pictured here are from this museum. It’s free to enter. Bring a few dollars in quarters, or use their change machine, and you’ll be good to go.)

-Drove to Coit Tower at night.

-Drove down Lombard street.

-Drove across the Golden Gate Bridge at night and the Bay Bridge during the day.

-Visited the Palace of Fine Arts at night.

-Stayed at Hotel Adagio near Union Square.
-Rode the glass elevators in the Westin on Union Square to see amazing views of the city.

-Ate a late breakfast of baked goods from La Boulange.

-Had a short visit with Jesse of CoTweet.

-Ate warm cookies from Speciality’s.

Not bad. Especially considering we spent 2 days doing EA stuff. (I’m working on my EA post, hopefully it will go up tomorrow). Best part. Even with that long list, we didn’t feel rushed. San Francisco is just the right size and seemingly really easy to get around. Thanks to Jordan and Paul for doing the organizing and driving and navigating. Thanks to Jared and Liz for playing along and letting us wake up Henry late at night. It makes me wish all my kids could have such a trip for their 12th birthday.

More photos from the trip on flickr.

1 robin k September 1, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Wow, what a list, Gabby! I'm embarrassed I thought I didn't have time to get up to SF to see you!
Glad you had a great visit.

2 Allysha September 1, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I LOVE that picture of you and Ralph. It's really great.

3 Morgan September 1, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Wow, wow, wow! That list is impressive! Looks like you guys had a blast! And I love the last picture! So cute!

(Oh and I've driven down Lombard street plenty. Lol, we have one here in Baltimore. ;))

4 Laura September 1, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I second Allysha's comment on that pic of you and Ralph. So cute! (And your hair looks awesome!)

5 Marci September 1, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Thanks for the list! I'm taking my DH there for his 40th in a few weeks. We only had Wicked tickets, Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz tour at night on the docket. Now it will be even sweeter!

6 Cathi September 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm

What a lovely time you both had and you did so much too!
Love, love, love the Cable car photo!! It deserves a frame and a place on the wall. :)

7 Tauni September 1, 2009 at 11:12 pm

What a super-cute photo of you and Ralph. Your hair looks fantastic!!!

8 liz stanley September 2, 2009 at 1:59 am

Dang. Whoever took that cable car photo is goooood ;)

9 Mom in Mendon September 2, 2009 at 4:57 am

Loved your post. Looks like a great trip.

Ralph: FYI, your great-grandparents lived in some of those grand old hotels–the Mark Hopkins, for one.

Love, Grandma

10 Katie @ goodLife {eats} September 2, 2009 at 8:10 am

Sounds like a super fun visit and I LOVE the last pic of you and Ralph. He's adorable and you've got that hot mom look.

11 Sarah September 2, 2009 at 9:56 am

Wow, what a list! Awesome that you have family to show you around! And, great picture of the two of you! It's a framer! :)

12 Kelly September 2, 2009 at 11:12 am

What a wonderful trip to take with Ralph! He is so grown up. Love the picture of you two on the car. Spending time with one child is really magical. I did this with my Mom when I was Ralph's age. She bought me a dress from Nordstrom, she let me hail a cab and we saw "Bye Bye Birdie."

Great memories with Moms in a fantastic city.

13 jenB September 2, 2009 at 11:30 am

Great list! Fantastic photo of you, you look so relaxed and happy.

14 Mauri September 2, 2009 at 11:48 am

Love the glamour shot on the trolley! Loving the darker hair. My kids have so much fun at that old museum. They think the fun house mirrors are the best. I'm feeling home sick just reading this post!

15 Sara September 2, 2009 at 2:32 pm

What a great trip! You are such an inspiring mom and design guru!

And, I just have to say, you look AMAZING!

16 Robert Mahar September 4, 2009 at 2:43 am

You know I dream about cookies from Speciality's – absolutely addicting. The big chocolate cookie with white chocolate chunks -heaven. We always come home to LA with a couple dozen to freeze. Mmmmm…

17 David Gallagher September 4, 2009 at 12:23 pm

The Musee Mecanique has a new website, run by Dan Zelinsky, the owner of the Musee.

the url is

we've also got a flickr group at