A More Convenient Crib?

September 1, 2009

Michelle just emailed me with photos of the crib her husband designed and built(!). It looks super hip, but the best part is the bonus feature. Apparently her husband polled a bunch of moms to find out what they would change about their cribs, and the overwhelming response was: it’s hard to access the mattress when it’s time to change the sheet.

His solution: a roll out feature for full access to the mattress. Fantastic, no?

1 Petit Elefant September 1, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Get out! I would have killed for that pull-out feature. Wrangling a mattress once a week {more when they're little} was not my favorite.

2 The Zangers September 1, 2009 at 5:45 pm

um, love it!

3 lisa September 1, 2009 at 5:50 pm

brilliant! I could a use contraption like that for the top bunk…

4 Annie September 1, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Great idea, but the implementation looks like it could use a few safety features?

5 Cinnamon*Sticks Boutique September 1, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Having just changed the baby's sheets last night I would LOVE a crib like this one. He's Brilliant!

6 Sara September 1, 2009 at 5:59 pm

This is the coolest thing. Ever.

7 Steph September 1, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I agree that it's an uber cool idea. I would be nervous though about the possibility of baby getting stuck between the back/sides? Especially if there are any siblings involved.

I'd have to have a padlock installed on mine!

8 the emily September 1, 2009 at 6:23 pm

GENIUS. Does he do bunk beds too?!

9 liz stanley September 1, 2009 at 6:32 pm

that would be my number one complaint too. someone hire this husband to build cribs for a living!

10 Carolina September 1, 2009 at 6:48 pm

A fantastic idea!

11 marian September 1, 2009 at 6:51 pm

FANTASTIC! I agree with the top bunk idea too!

12 Artfulife September 1, 2009 at 6:58 pm

So Awesome!

13 jessica September 1, 2009 at 7:01 pm

i would be nervous with safety. it would require lots of safety testing perhaps, but great idea!

14 we chirp September 1, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Holy bananas! That is my least favorite thing and I would love this crib. What a smart guy, polling smart moms. And then making the goods…

15 Barlow Family September 1, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Brilliant!!!

16 Ceci September 1, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Holy moley. I was just trying to figure out what an easier solution would be as I was grasping my daughter's mattress this morning, as it clung to the springs of the crib. I want one!

17 Katherine Center September 1, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Brilliant! Getting the mattress out is always the hardest part!

xoxo!

18 Whitney September 1, 2009 at 8:32 pm

My first thought is: I so would have pulled that out on my siblings!

I was a nice older sister, obviously. :-p

19 rhilborn September 1, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Amazing! Brillant idea and a solution I could capitalize on immediately:).

20 Angela September 1, 2009 at 8:54 pm

I really hope this is an idea that catches on! As a short mama=to-be I have no idea how I'm going to change sheets easily.

21 myimaginaryblog September 1, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I agree with others about safety–I hope there's a way to keep it very secure while the baby's in it (maybe he's thought of that.) But also, does the side come down? If not, until that baby can stand up on his or her own, how are they going to get the baby in and out?

22 Leslie September 1, 2009 at 9:29 pm

completely brill.
and love your new mormon.org dealie.

23 Flower Girl September 1, 2009 at 9:30 pm

I could NOT agree more! Form, function… fabulous!! Want it. I tuck clean blankets over the sheets so I don't have to change the sheets as often. Yup, he should sell these.

24 Flower Girl September 1, 2009 at 9:35 pm

P.S. I loved your tutu tutorial! I just made my daughter one for her first birthday. Thank you!

25 NellaBean September 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Drool . . . I hate changing crib sheets so much that I double up on sheets and mattress covers (so that I can just rip the top set off, putting off wrangling the mattress for a little while longer).

26 Digital Mom September 1, 2009 at 11:12 pm

LOVE THIS! Great idear – as long as the bumper stays in place. I HATE changing crib sheets – and Lord knows those puppies require changing several times a week!

27 Jill September 1, 2009 at 11:26 pm

sheer genius! i can't tell you the curse words that flowed from my mouth when it came was time to change the crib sheet. nothing like wrestling a stupid, uncooperative 40 pound rectangle for a half hour, only to do it again the following week.

way to go!

28 ModernMommaBlog September 1, 2009 at 11:54 pm

What a great idea! I change the sheets on my baby's crib at least twice a week. That would save my back a lot of work!

29 jet September 2, 2009 at 1:20 am

Just brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

30 ediannev September 2, 2009 at 4:28 am

Good idea….but I would worry about safety…with five kids you must realize how ingenious they can be when they want to.

31 sarah September 2, 2009 at 6:38 am

I hope he's patented that idea! Seriously genious!

32 Katie @ goodLife {eats} September 2, 2009 at 8:11 am

Genuis! Madeline just moved to a big girl bed, but I despised removing the bumper and wrestling the mattress out to change the sheet. Baby furniture companies – TAKE NOTE!

33 Aimee @ Smiling Mama September 2, 2009 at 9:25 am

Awesome! Imagine the concept of actually asking moms what they want before you design a product for childrens' rooms :) I hope he can sell this design to a big company for lots of $$$$. Kudos!

34 Anonymous September 2, 2009 at 10:01 am

Oh my gosh, that crib looks So dangerous!!! The sharp corners, the large gap…..personally I would never put my child in a home made crib. Yikes!

35 kasey September 2, 2009 at 10:22 am

Another great solution to the sheet-changing problem is the QuickZip crib sheet from cloudsandstars.com. You just zip off the top panel and zip another panel on, never moving the mattress! (I have no affiliation with the company, just a very satisfied customer!)

36 kasey September 2, 2009 at 10:24 am

. . . oh, and they make a Quick Zip for twin mattresses, which could help with the top bunk.

37 Tonya Lynn September 2, 2009 at 11:38 am

I think that this is amazing!

I'm sure that the pictures don't do it justice and that it really is safe and secure for baby :) (Who would create a crib that wouldn't be safe for a baby…) I'm all for this and quite jealous I didn't have one for when my nieces and nephews were younger and staying with me… Much more back friendlY!!!

38 Beth September 2, 2009 at 1:11 pm

that is pure genius! they need to market that invention!

39 Bloom September 2, 2009 at 1:19 pm

yep. he needs to make and sell them. such a great idea!

40 featherbed September 2, 2009 at 1:33 pm

this is amazing!! I hope it locks into position so the baby can't get stuck in a crack!

41 Paper + Ink Studio September 2, 2009 at 2:05 pm

i LOVE the design and concept of the mattress pulling out for easier changes, but i definitely agree with other moms and i would be concerned about some safety issues such as:

(1) ensuring there is some sort of locking mechanism so the mattress drawer doesn't slide open with baby in it and

(2) i would be worried about the entire crib tipping forward when the drawer is pulled out for changing; does the weight of the mattress drawer and mattress cause the crib to tip forward (or onto whomever is changing the mattress)?

other than those concerns, the design is awesome. great job!

42 Rose September 2, 2009 at 3:18 pm

That is really nothing short of brilliant.
And it reminds me I need to go change that blasted crib sheet…

43 Fine Twined September 2, 2009 at 4:55 pm

This is pretty.

But I am so curious…I must have a great crib or something. I'm only 5' even and I just lift one end of the mattress up, put the fitted sheet over each corner and drop it. Then ditto for the other end of the mattress.

44 Deece September 2, 2009 at 6:30 pm

That is ingenious! He should lock down the safety features and start producing that baby! If only I were pregnant. No wait. No no no no no.

45 -amanda September 2, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Brilliant!!!!

46 krys kirkpatrick September 2, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Very clever. A friend just gave us a 1940's crib that is adorable, not safe anymore. We will use it for display only, in our shop. How do you combine that vintage feel with modern practicality?

47 cyndi September 2, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Can this brilliant husband be contacted to get building plans for the crib? That is, of course, if he's not selling this as a retail product, etc. Thanks

48 Paige September 2, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I hate to leave a negative comment, I really do, I just worry about the safety. There is a reason that baby products have to pass such rigorous testing, and I just don't think homemade is going to cut it. You have to consider safety before beauty or convenience!!!!

49 sthunt September 2, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Hi everyone. This is the "convenient crib" designer. Thank you all so very much for you wonderful comments and suggestions. I am flattered my design was even featured on this incredible blog. As for the safety concern, it already includes a safety/locking mechanism on the underside of the drawer. Believe me, I wouldn't put a child in something unsafe, especially my child. But here's a secret: a new and improved version of the crib is in the works. It will address a number of the issues people have brought up. Please email me with any other suggestions you might have. Thanks again.

50 Autumn September 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Fantastic indeed!! Looks tremendous. I have seen a similar patented product (similar in that you can pull the mattress out), it comes out of the end, not side. Nice work, beautiful!!

51 Nicole September 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm

That is pure genius.

52 Anonymous September 3, 2009 at 3:09 pm

That is just so brilliant! When I think of how many times I thought 'there has got to be a better way.' That is just awesome!

53 Kirsten Braddock September 5, 2009 at 6:58 pm

that is such a good idea.

54 Anonymous September 6, 2009 at 12:16 am

Cool idea…until the 2 year old tries to pull the baby out of the crib!

But I love the style and I'd like to hire that man to build us bunk beds.