A Little News

September 28, 2009

photo of Ben Blair and me making out (sheesh! get a room already.) by Candice Stringham.

Friends. I’m expecting a baby.

Yes, this was planned (I can’t believe you even asked that! Just kidding. I would totally ask it too.) — in as far as you can plan such a thing. And we think we’re super lucky. When we shared this news with Ralph, Maude, Olive, Oscar, and Betty, they were shouting and dancing and hooray-ing around the room. We feel the same way. What’s happier than the thought of a new little person joining our family?

I’m sick. Pregnancy sick. Which is strikingly similar to a deep and abiding flu. But we’re very excited all the same. And we’re trying to celebrate this likely-it’s-our-last-pregnancy as much as possible (we’re thinking this is the end of the line for us as far as baby-making goes).

As part of the celebration, I’ve reached out to dear friends and bloggers to help. I’ve requested pregnancy memories and pregnancy advice from the 4 corners of the blogosphere and I’ll be posting the responses here all week.

One last thought: even though this was planned, it has somehow still come as a bit of a shock. How will we manage another baby? Who are we to think it’s okay to bring 6 persons into this crazy world? There’s something that seems unfair about the whole thing — considering couples that can’t conceive at all. These sorts of thoughts have been on my mind a lot — and most likely I’ll address them in a future post.

But today, I’ll just be happy. And feel blessed that I get to be a mother.

{ 1 trackback }

Birth Story by Sommer Renaldo
August 4, 2010 at 7:54 pm

1 Tina September 28, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Congratulations!

2 Adventures In Babywearing September 28, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Oh, be very happy and yes you are blessed! I'm gleeful for you, Gabrielle!

Steph

3 m e l September 28, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Congrats!! I love big families!!

4 Damaris September 28, 2009 at 2:37 pm

congratulations. I just gave birth 11 days ago and I'm staring at my newborn right now. I hope to have 6 kids one day. it doesn't sound selfish at all, it sounds great!

Not that you're looking for more stories but here's one of mine, it's about working through a past miscarriage while being pregnant with my daughter https://wreg-1.ucsc.edu/auth/perfigo_weblogin.jsp?cm=ws32vklm&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fbebeloo.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F05%2Fgirls-wear-pink.html

5 mj September 28, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Congratulations!

6 Autumn September 28, 2009 at 2:40 pm

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 silversmith September 28, 2009 at 2:46 pm

congrats!

i've been thinking about my pregnancy and taking a trip down memory lane lately. my only kiddo turned 7 yesterday (where does the time go!?!) and i wanted to dance around the room with him at exactly 7:18pm in celebration, but he was in the shower. i've been remembering all the painting and sewing and watching his little elbow jab me in the side and knowing that it was indeed his heel poking me in the belly.

8 heather September 28, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Congratulations!

9 MiaKatia September 28, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Congratulations!!! I always shed a happy tear when I hear that someone is pregnant, whether I know them or not :)

10 Jenny, the Bloggess September 28, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Thank God this is finally public. I've been biting my tongue off not telling people. Congratulations, sweetness!

11 Through the Looking Glass September 28, 2009 at 3:04 pm

You seem like a tremendous mother and a wonderful person; any baby joining your family is blessed and lucky. Congratulations!

12 Jill September 28, 2009 at 3:09 pm

congratulations….what exciting news!

13 Blessedw5mom September 28, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Oh congratulations!!!!! I have a friend who lives near many large homeschooling families and instead of giving eachother baby showers they like to plan "conception shower" ;-) Frozen meals, diapers, and those sorts of necessities are given and moms get a few hours to celebrate together. They do this if its someom's frist, second or tenth … all conceptions are worth celebrating!

14 Robin September 28, 2009 at 3:38 pm

i'd love to have a sister, and to be pregnant…. and you get to be pregnant with your sister!!! how divine :O)

congratulations!

15 Anderson September 28, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Congratulations! That's very exciting. And though some people are unable to have kids at all, a ton of people are totally inadequate parents and have broods. You, however, are super mom. This baby will be super lucky to have you as a mommy and to be in such a family as yours. Fun, fun.

Because I'm pregnant, too, and somehow pregnant woman are more due-date conscious… when are you due?

Again- congrats. And don't worry. Nausea abates… eventually. :)

16 Laura B. September 28, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Yay! This is FABULOUS news! Congrats friend!

17 SSAS September 28, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Oh good! Wishing you all the best!

18 Mandy September 28, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Congratulations! That is VERY exciting news! I'm expecting too & we will be having our first little girl in January. We have a little boy & are looking forward to the new addition. What a joyous adventure you are embarking on. I have no idea how you do it with 5 already, but the 6th will be an equally as BIG blessing! ;) Congratulations!

19 amyks September 28, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Congratulations!

20 amy smart September 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Good for you! Just one more reason that you amaze me.

21 Wanderluster September 28, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Congratulations! How fun to be pregnant the same time as your sister.

You are amazing and inspiring, 6x over.

22 Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry September 28, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Congratulations! I have five brothers and sisters…six is a wonderful number!

23 Elisabeth September 28, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Oh joy! My husband and I long for a big, happy family like yours. My heart just flutters when I think of all the holiday festivities, family traditions, and rocking chairs. That's one lucky baby!

24 Natalie September 28, 2009 at 4:59 pm

YAY! Congratulations Gabrielle! I can't wait to see your growing belly!

25 Are we there yet? September 28, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Congratulations!! Babies are so amazing! I wish you the best of luck and hope the sickness passes quickly and you are able to enjoy every minute! Hugs Kim

26 KJ September 28, 2009 at 5:11 pm

oh what very happy news. large families are a special thing, requiring talents with which not all of us were blessed. I have it on good authority (my new neighbor ashlynn) you have those talents.

27 Miranda September 28, 2009 at 5:22 pm

am so very VERY happy for you!

28 Jourdan September 28, 2009 at 5:35 pm

What a gracious way to break such happy news, when you feel so yucky. What very, very lucky children you have to come to such a family!

29 abbeyviolet September 28, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Congratulations! We wish you peace and great joy in this special moment.

30 Anne September 28, 2009 at 5:41 pm

congratulations! :) Every little person is so special. Congrats to your family.

31 gwen bell September 28, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Gabby! Amazing! Congratulations to you & Ben!! See you super soon! Can't wait to hear the deets.

32 Julie @ The Mom Slant September 28, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Oh my goodness, congratulations!!! Do let me know if there's anything at all I can do.

33 Esther September 28, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Such wonderful news! Congrats to you & the family :)

34 nicole September 28, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Congratulations! I'm also expecting my sixth child. NOT planned, but a welcome blessing nonetheless. I am constantly in awe that I have been chosen to have all of these children, knowing so many couples out there want nothing more than one healthy baby and here I get five so far. I hope your sickness abates. I'll be coming back for encouraging words and such.

35 sarah jane September 28, 2009 at 6:07 pm

OH that is just the best news ever!!! What an amazing family you have. 6 children is just wonderful…i'm at three, but hope to have a full house someday. Way to go mama!

36 Vanessa September 28, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Many happy hooray's for you all! You are a brave woman to have 6 children!!! I applaud you and Mr. Blair!

37 @BarbaraJones September 28, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Just so completely thrilled for you and the family!! I'm giddy!

38 Rik September 28, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I am so excited for you!! You're probably my favorite blog mom. I really wish we knew each other, actually. And as a fellow Mormon, I feel like I do, in a way! Congratulations! You're cute as a button.

39 Andrea J September 28, 2009 at 7:11 pm

I agree, way to have a big, healthy, happy family. You're blessed.

40 Petit Elefant September 28, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Gabby,

That just made my cry, tears of total joy. Congrats to you and your adorable brood. And the Mr., of course.

xo

41 tracey September 28, 2009 at 7:20 pm

congratulations!!!! so excited for you and your awesome family! did you already purchase a rocker? :)

tracey

42 Melissa Stover September 28, 2009 at 7:30 pm

congratulations. that's such a fabulous picture!

43 Rachel Orme September 28, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Once again, congrats. I am seriously thrilled for you. And also a little jealous that you look so good after having five kids….

44 kamille September 28, 2009 at 8:09 pm

congratulations! that is wonderful news!

45 Jeannie September 28, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Congratulations, Design Mom. You have a beautiful family and I'm looking forward to reading all about you growing one more little Blair.

I have three very different adoption stories I'd be happy to share with anyone whose interested.

46 Sarah September 28, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Huge congrats!! I love your big family, you're so inspirational. Looks like you'll need 8 rocking chairs!

Can't wait to hear what gorgeous name you choose for the new bub. :)

47 la belle fille September 28, 2009 at 9:30 pm

congratulations!!!

48 Blue Lily September 28, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Congratulations! six kids! lots of fun.

49 Busy Vee September 28, 2009 at 9:42 pm

What wonderful news! God bless you and your family! Well I do hope you answer just one question for me…how DO you stay in such good shape….
The photo shoot with your family had you looking amazing 5 kids later…please share how you do it!!!

50 tara September 28, 2009 at 10:40 pm

yay! congrats to you and your family and i hope you feel better soon!

51 Katie September 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm

That is beautiful news! Congrats from Kansas City!

52 mdcano September 28, 2009 at 10:55 pm

brilliant news!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
can't wait for the baby name!

53 Debbie September 28, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Congratulations! What a blessing!

54 Naomi September 28, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Wow! Lucky number six, congratulations to all the Blairs and I hope the woozy part of your pregnancy is short-lived.

55 Roselle September 28, 2009 at 11:21 pm

WOW! Congratulations! Feel better soon. I'm new to your blog and look forward to reading your posts on the progress of your pregnancy.

56 Almamater September 28, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Congrats from a mom with morning sickness, expecting her sixth to another. It is, as you say, both super exciting and daunting. But during each pregnancy I have asked myself how I am going to handle another baby in the house. The worries always melt away when Baby is in your arms though, eh? God provides, Husband provides and all those wonderful siblings provide. Hurray for your family!

57 Cereal In My Stiletto September 28, 2009 at 11:52 pm

oh wow — just saw the news! congratulations…so exciting!

58 Angela September 29, 2009 at 12:21 am

My dear friend. Your post has brought tears to my eyes. I love motherhood, and I love that you get to be a mother to yet another sweet little spirit. I am so happy for you, Ben and all your kids. Love, hugs, and kisses from the Grange family. Miss you!

59 Lauren September 29, 2009 at 3:04 am

So happy for you, Gabby. I've gotten all teary thinking about the happiness another child brings!

60 Marcy Tate September 29, 2009 at 6:51 am

Congratulations, all the best to you and your family!

61 Blogful September 29, 2009 at 7:25 am

The best part about Designmom is that you are a MOM! Congratulations. Children are joy, and that's the point, isn't it? May you be blessed with a healthy pregnancy and baby. Can't wait for the preg. centered blogging.

62 CocoBlu Studio September 29, 2009 at 8:14 am

First of all- congrats!!! You are such an inspiration: a woman who can have it all- home, health, creativity, success and a family (a very large family, at that)! Wow!!

And about that photo… I LOVE IT. Looks straight out of a high end magazine.

63 annettesimon September 29, 2009 at 8:38 am

congrats!

64 Emily N. September 29, 2009 at 8:47 am

CONGRATS! I can't wait for all the super cool baby gear posts that I'm sure will be coming! With my first on the way in February, I just don't know where to start! :o)

65 Mama DB September 29, 2009 at 8:52 am

Yay! Congratulations!

66 Jordan September 29, 2009 at 9:08 am

Oh, Gabby, I'm so happy for you and Ben.

67 Andrea September 29, 2009 at 9:17 am

I am SO thrilled for you. Congrats!

68 Stacey Halphen September 29, 2009 at 9:28 am

Congratulations, this is such fabulous news!!!

69 NIS September 29, 2009 at 9:56 am

so happy for you and your family! i've been following your blog and reading about your adventures and it's been an exciting ride. i only have one 18 month old at the moment so am totally in awe of your commitment and ability to manage everything so well!
hope you feel better!

70 FrenchieBean September 29, 2009 at 10:06 am

So so so happy for you Gabrielle! You are just one of the best moms I "know" (over the internet)…can't be more excited for you.

71 heather{dot}com September 29, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Congrats to your entire family! How exciting!

72 Sarah September 29, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Congratulations! I'm not a mother personally, but I hate to even hear guilt or worry in your voice. There is nothing more blessed than a child that can be raised in a family with love- exactly what you and Ben Blair will provide.

73 Sylvia September 29, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Congratulations! Truly. What wonderful, wonderful news. I couldn't be happier for you and your family.

74 Savannah September 29, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Congrats! I come from a family of 2 crazy in love parents and 6 crazy little dears…we wouldn't trade our craziness for anything! Hope you feel better soon!

75 Tauni September 29, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Wow. Congratulations! I hope that you start feeling better soon.

76 Anonymous September 29, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Mazel Tov! My husband and I are thinking about number 4. Although you and I have never met, I keep thinking, well. . .that Designmom lady can do 5, why can't we do 4?

Should I just say, "what the heck" and do it?

77 moosh in indy. September 29, 2009 at 2:04 pm

If someone has to have 6 babies in their world it has to be you. Those are 6 very lucky little babies. (Even though some are much larger than babies. Beautiful just the same.)

Congratulations.

78 Tollipop September 29, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Sending you heartfelt congratulations…

79 MP September 29, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Congrats, congrats, congrats! That is wonderful news. And the pregnancy/birth stories are fantastic!

80 Heather September 29, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Congratulations on this wonderful blessing! I hope you feel much better soon and are enjoying lots of rest! ps. all the pregnancy posts are awesome!

81 bekapirwitz September 29, 2009 at 6:07 pm

congratulations!
so looking forward to reading your updates and stories!!!

82 39andWaiting September 29, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Gabby – congratulations on your pregnancy! I am a big fan of your blog and also happy to report that I am pregnant with my first child at age 42. I feel truly blessed and now even more excited that I get to follow your pregnancy stories and receive your guidance along the way! I, too, have been sick for 4+ weeks and definitely taking it one day at a time. Congratulations to you and your family!

83 Heather September 29, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Congratulations! How DO you manage it all! I'm totally impressed!

84 karen torres d'amico September 29, 2009 at 9:27 pm

What a blessing…congratulations!

85 Via Toy Box September 29, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Super coooool!

86 Elaina September 29, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Congratulations! What wonderful news. hugs all around!

87 Corbett Family September 29, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Congrats Gabby! My baby just turned 5 months old and I'm thinking she is our last and am trying to savor every moment.

Jody

88 Amber September 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Congratulations! I'm the oldest of 6 in my family. What happy news. Hope you get to feeling better :)

89 Michelle September 29, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Congrats…So happy for you, and you can do it. 6 kids. You can do it!

90 denise September 29, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Congrats on the new addition.

91 birthday girl September 30, 2009 at 12:10 am

you are one cool mama. congratulations.

92 paula September 30, 2009 at 8:06 am

Yeah! congratulations. Hope you feel better soon.

93 Leanne September 30, 2009 at 9:18 am

Congrats on the new one coming to your family. I hope your morning sickness passes soon. I can't wait to here the new one name. The best to you and your family. I have 8 children. They're a blessing, but those teen age years can be a little tricky.

94 Chloe September 30, 2009 at 11:06 am

YAAAAAAAAAY! So happy for you Gabby! Congrats :)

95 Aimee Friedrich September 30, 2009 at 12:21 pm

awww, so exciting. hope the sickness passes quickly.

96 LLH September 30, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Oh, WOW! And there I was emailing you all weekend about blogging while you had SUCH big news to share! Congratulations. Children are such a gift, and you – a creative, talented, loving mommy – are a gift to your children!

97 foodnerd September 30, 2009 at 12:51 pm

First, Congratulations! That is so cool! Really cool and inspiring! Second, how do you do it??? HOW DO YOU DO IT!??? You're a professional in a field that is demanding to stay au courant with trends and design, you run a family of 5 kids and you look GREAT! Is your husband a super dad too? Do you have a nanny? Use a daycare? Work from home? Besides your blog that obviously seems full time, what else do you do? Are you well off so you can do this comfortably? I am really sorry if this sounds like rude questions. It is not my intention. Please understand that I am just desperately searching for enlightenment and trying to get realistic information from women who seem to have it under control. I'm 39 and probably go through a little midlife crisis. I am also pregnant with my 3rd. I have two beautiful girls. The first is 19 (but barely home to help) and the second is a bit over 2. I'm struggling with nausea in my 9th week and can't find motivation to do anything around the house. I just lived like a hermit for the entire month of September. To add to the pressure is the fact that we moved into our first house 5 months ago in a new province and it's a fixer upper! We are financially limited and so are our handy skills.

I work in the creative field too as a commercial artist and so is my husband. We both work from home as freelancers. I should be feeling creative and inspired to do all sorts of projects but I feel nothing and just want to crawl in a nest (couch, bed, pile of laundry on the floor… : )

I NEED TO KNOW what other mothers do to cope! Especially the ones who look well put together! I don't get that much work right now and I am totally fine with that (thank god). I really rely on my poor husband to do a lot around the house (especially in the morning so I can sleep in) everything is out of whack. Even the meals… I feel so useless that I keep telling him that if I was hired somewhere, I would lose my job. They would have to fire me! So what is your secret??!! Maybe the first trimester and the cold weather is getting to me. It's been cold, grey and wet (we're in Quebec)

Anybody feel free to share!

A mother waiting to glow : ))

98 To Think is to Create September 30, 2009 at 3:30 pm

So so happy for you, dear friend. xoxo

99 Erin September 30, 2009 at 9:19 pm

CONGRATS! So happy for you!

100 Amy October 1, 2009 at 7:52 am

Congratulations! I am the youngest of six and wouldn't trade any of my siblings for the world!