What to Wear to 5th Grade

August 12, 2009

Gray henley and leggings by Poof. Denim mini by Hydraulic. Plaid scarf by Passport Accessories.

It’s been so much fun putting together a back-to-school wardrobe for 10-year-old Maude this year. She’s had more opinions and ideas about what she wants to wear than ever before. Today she had the idea to put together some of her outfits and model them for the camera. Doesn’t she look amazing? I love how flexible everything is — there are 9 outfits here and she could come up with another dozen combos from this stuff.

For those wondering if we broke the bank, we spent about $100 on new clothes (I had the best luck at TJMaxx) and $50 on new shoes. Everything else was already in her closet. You can find more images from our living room photoshoot here.

Plaid top by Chaps. Skirt by Peek. (Francie Pants underneath the skirt.) Cardigan by If It Were Me. Stripe tee and cargo pants by Old Navy.

Hoodie sweater by Pink Republic. Yellow tee and polka-dot leggings by Old Navy. Plaid dress by She’s The One. Skinny jeans – Sqin by H&M;.

Yellow jacket by Ismodern. Jean shorts by Old Navy.

Feather printed top by Kiddo. Cropped pants by Jean Bourget at Juvie. Houndstooth capris by Gymboree.

Mock turtleneck by Target. Shrug by Seven Smooches.

FYI:
I’ve listed sources (and links where I can), but as I mentioned above, at least 50% of the clothes pictured were already in her closet — so they probably won’t be available in stores any longer.

Maude is shown barefoot because we’re still waiting for her shoes to arrive. This year she’ll have 3 pairs to choose from. These Converse from Zappos and these black sporty shoes from Payless. Plus, she has a pair of cute brown and turquoise Asics that are still in good shape — we just need to replace the laces. The only thing left to buy: a backpack.

{ 1 trackback }

Why I Am The Artful Parent and Not Pioneer Woman
February 20, 2014 at 1:58 pm

1 Cafe Johnsonia August 12, 2009 at 6:24 pm

I love Maude.

2 seabearia August 12, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Oh she has great style for a 5th grader!
When I was her age, I dressed like a thug/bum haha

3 Andrea August 12, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Maude looks great! I just got back from New York last night, and the funny thing is, I bought the "if it were me" cream cardigan, a denim mini by "Paper/Denim/Cloth", the plaid "Chaps" blouse, and lawn green Converse for my 5th grade daughter, too!! The irony!

4 Sarahahaha August 12, 2009 at 6:53 pm

oh my gosh. she looks so stylish. i'm 23 and i'd wear some of those outfits (: i remember when i was in fifth grade i would steal my brother's jeans (because my mom wouldn't let me buy baggy jeans) and wear boxers under my jeans. and a white t-shirt with an oversized plaid flannel over it. haha.

good bargain buying too!

5 Artfulife August 12, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Sloan is 9 & at that age too. I used my Gymbucks and purchased 7 basics for a little over $50. I've filled in the rest of her back to school needs at three local thrift stores. Can't help myself when I'm finding new with tags gap, old navy & Abercrombie clothes for her to wear.

I love your daughters outfit combos. She has a fun sense of style.

6 Carie August 12, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I just had a friend come over and help my soon to be middle schooler figure out her wardrobe. We took pictures also (but not nearly as fun as yours.) Now she has a couple of sheets of thumbnail pics to peruse before getting dresses in the morning.

7 JJB August 12, 2009 at 7:04 pm

I have to say… From personal experience, those have got to be the most comfortable shoes ever. I've worn a pair out, and have seriously thought several times about buying another pair!

8 Alicia August 12, 2009 at 7:13 pm

This is so fun… And today, I did the same thing! I pulled out my school clothes and tried them all on and mixed and matched them… And took photos (unfortunately mine aren't as nice because I used photo booth from my mac and my messing living room is in the background :). So while she's getting ready for what she'll where to 5th grade, so am I (except I'm going as a 5th grade teacher rather than a student!)

Looks like she'll have a stylish year! 5th grade is a blast!!

9 Alicia August 12, 2009 at 7:14 pm

** a teacher who used the wrong word! WEAR! WEAR! (Forgive me! It's still summer!)

10 dandee August 12, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I swear, now 5th graders are dressing better than me!

Great style, Maude!

11 abby August 12, 2009 at 7:26 pm

maude, can i have your wardrobe?

12 Blogful August 12, 2009 at 7:40 pm

A beautiful girl. Proof that modest is hottest. Hope you also bought a baseball bat to keep off the boys

13 Christy August 12, 2009 at 7:47 pm

If you aren't already, you should look into having her model. She's a gem in front of the camera – and I love her style. Seriously so cute. :)

14 Abby&theJets August 12, 2009 at 7:57 pm

I lurve the yellow jacket and the shrug. she's the coolest 5th grader i've ever seen.

15 Murray August 12, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Thank you! My daughter FINALLY agreed to try leggings and a skirt for school after seeing how cute Maude looks! She's adorable, and such a happy model.

16 Sara August 12, 2009 at 8:16 pm

she looks so awesome and happy, and i love that she has comfy shoes you can run around in.

17 Lindsey August 12, 2009 at 8:25 pm

She is so adorable and her outfit choices are fab! Hope she has a great 5th grade year,

{ Lindsey }

18 ashley August 12, 2009 at 8:33 pm

That Maude is one stylish 5th grader!

19 Jake August 12, 2009 at 8:45 pm

She's such a beauty! my favs: yellow jacket, cream cardigan with ribbon.

20 bekapirwitz August 12, 2009 at 8:45 pm

are you kidding me? she is SUCH a little model…
some of these outfits are actually quite inspiring! thanks for sharing them!

21 heather{dot}com August 12, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Um, I wish I had this much style NOW. I was still wearing sweaters with puppy dogs when I was in 5th grade! Too cute!

22 Jennifer August 12, 2009 at 8:52 pm

What a lovely model and so stylish!! My daughter is starting Kindergarten-sniff, sniff

23 MsAmanda August 12, 2009 at 8:54 pm

FASHIONista

24 Chookooloonks August 12, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Could your daughter POSSIBLY look more like you?

No, Gabby. No, she could not.

25 Miggy August 12, 2009 at 9:18 pm

That is one hip kid. She's putting my wardrobe to shame.

26 amyks August 12, 2009 at 9:22 pm

how cute is she…love all the outfits, my 9 year old daughter would love Maude's style…lucky for me, she has to wear a uniform to school.

27 kelli August 12, 2009 at 10:00 pm

the feather printed top outfit is my favorite, but it's a tough choice. she's so soulful.

28 Whitney Johnson August 12, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Great post! I hope you'll put together a montage of these and frame this for her! What a keepsake.

29 Cyn August 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm

She has a great eye! I really like all the looks she's chosen.

Maybe I'll plan a shoot with my soon-to-be 7-year-old son. He would love to model for the camera :)

30 liz August 12, 2009 at 10:22 pm

cool gabby. that was so fun to look over and think about for my own clothing plans. and the kids. great shots, btw!

31 liz stanley August 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm

i'm pretty sure all i wore in 5th grade were various pairs of sweatpants suits. in fact, i'm sure of this. maude is so grown up. love her!

32 Hazel's Mommie (aka liz) August 12, 2009 at 10:36 pm

oh my goodness, she is quite stunning! and, looking at that first shot next to your profile pic, she's definetly a Gabrielle look a like!!

33 buttercup August 12, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Wow! She looks so stylish. My 5th grader has upgraded to a tailored polo from her regular football t-shirts. So I'm just going to have to be happy with that. i might have to check out TJ Maxx maybe i can get some good deals for my younger fashionistas.

34 jayne August 12, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Please Please Please say you are going to do a "what to wear to middle school!" My oldest is the same age as Ralph (also a boy), and we're trying to figure out what's "cool" for middle school
HELP!!!!
Pretty Please!

35 Tuppence August 13, 2009 at 12:45 am

You have no idea how much this has helped. This morning, as soon as she d-r-a-g-s herself out of bed, I am plunking her down in front of your blog so she can be equally inspired! Your daughter has such great style!

36 Becki August 13, 2009 at 1:06 am

Awesome. I've been meaning to do this with my 10-year-old as well to see if she has everything she needs. Maude looks so great and thought of some good combinations. I hope she loves 5th grade.

37 chelsea August 13, 2009 at 4:40 am

OK this is seriously too cute. I wish I was as stylish as Maude!

xo Chelsea

38 chelsea August 13, 2009 at 4:40 am

OK this is seriously too cute. I wish I was as stylish as Maude!

xo Chelsea

39 Pumpkin Petunia August 13, 2009 at 6:40 am

Maude has fantastic style. She looks beautiful!

40 Wolfie and the Sneak August 13, 2009 at 6:52 am

She has fantastic style–I love those Juvie capris. I want a pair for myself!

41 Design Mom August 13, 2009 at 8:29 am

this is ralph. she is gonna do a what to wear to middle school.

42 ellen August 13, 2009 at 8:38 am

Watch out Colorado — Maude's in town!

43 Sandi August 13, 2009 at 9:05 am

Such cute outfits…and original….LOVE the green plaid! I was just talking with my niece as her daughter is starting school and will be wearing a uniform…how she and my own kids picked them up off the floor and wore them then came home threw them on the floor and repeated until Friday!

44 Lori August 13, 2009 at 9:24 am

What great style. My fourth grader and I looked through the whole slideshow and were both inspired.

45 Sarita Emilia August 13, 2009 at 9:30 am

what a gorgeous girl! she sports high style perfectly.

46 Mauri August 13, 2009 at 9:39 am

That is one stylish 5th grader you have there. She puts me to shame. My 10 year old daughter only wants to wear gym shorts and t-shirts. Sigh, she is starting to show a little bit more interest in fashion, but it is slow in coming.

47 Michelle B August 13, 2009 at 10:08 am

she has way better style than me – love the outfits!

48 Leisa Hammett August 13, 2009 at 10:22 am

This beautiful 10/y/o of yours is going to be drop-dead gorgeous when she grows into her teens. Looks like she has her Mom's sense of Design. Now, will you come dress me?

49 Sarah August 13, 2009 at 10:22 am

What a stylish doll Maude is. way more stylish than moi. She must get it from her mom.

50 ~j. August 13, 2009 at 11:12 am

My oldest is beginning 5th grade, and I, too, find it exciting that she's aware of herself and what she does (and does not) want to wear.

Love those Juvie pants — just ordered some.

51 Peanut Blossom August 13, 2009 at 12:35 pm

7 years spent in a uniform during my formative years has left me fashionly clueless. My poor daughter could only ever hope to be as put together as Maude someday. She is a beautiful beautiful girl, love those eyes and her sweet hairdo. I love even more than she is dressing so appropriately for her age but still so stylish. Kudos to you!

52 rachel August 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm

wow gabby Maude is a babe! I totally love her outfits! And her modeling is amazing! I think i'm going to have to hire a bodyguard for her cuz she is so beautiful! Plus I can't even stand how fashionable she is, i'm jealous! I think Maude is going to have to take me shopping. Maude you are so so beautiful, never forget that!

53 kamille August 13, 2009 at 2:41 pm

what a little model! she's so beautiful. and, we just found out we're having a baby girl and we're naming her maude…i didn't realize you had a maude until i saw this. it's a lovely name!!

54 Rebecca August 13, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I should have kept all my clothes from the 80's for my own daughter – it would have saved me tons! Aren't repeat styles supposed to take longer before they come back into fashion?

55 Amber August 13, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Maude is one beautiful, and stylish, young lady. That first picture of her is so sweet. I laugh thinking about the outfits I put together when I was her age :) Have fun in 5th grade!

56 Kylee August 13, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Could you do this for your boys too? I'd love to see some boy inspiration

57 Kimba August 13, 2009 at 10:54 pm

i don't even dress that nice. :) love it!

58 Angela August 14, 2009 at 12:37 am

I heart Maude Blair!!

59 corrin August 14, 2009 at 10:18 am

So…I would pretty much wear every single one of those outfits.

60 Toni August 14, 2009 at 10:18 am

I'm SOO glad that the clothing styles are back to covering bodies.

What a cutie!

61 Mommy Melee August 14, 2009 at 10:20 am

I WANT A GIRL SO BAD

62 Neva Campbell August 14, 2009 at 10:32 am

I love the third pair down, with the yellow jacket and shorts and the white cardigan and skirt. So cute! And appropriate and stylish for her age!

63 cassie August 14, 2009 at 10:38 am

She is going to be the most stylish girl in that school! TOO cute!

64 Joslyn August 14, 2009 at 10:54 am

holy cow, she looks AMAZING! perhpas Maude can come counsel my Audrey…we're having clothing issues over here!
xoxo

65 Jennifer, Snapshot August 14, 2009 at 11:29 am

So cute! My daughter Amanda is almost 11 and going into 6th grade, and has also become much more opinionated lately. She loves the layered look and the scarfs this year too!

How are you??

66 Kelly King Anderson August 14, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I love these looks… amazing and soo hip! just curious how does the style change for kids between NY and Colorado? It seems like she's ultra NY here… how does it translate? does it matter?

67 Aimee Friedrich August 15, 2009 at 6:58 am

aww, so cute. looks like she's ready. can't believe school time is here already. I'm not ready.

68 SarahW August 15, 2009 at 10:01 am

How lucky is she? I'm almost 35 and my wardrobe has never been near that fantastic!

69 missy August 15, 2009 at 8:56 pm

it looks like some boys are in for broken hearts this year!

70 N. Tipps August 17, 2009 at 3:35 pm

She is so beautiful! And yes, what great style for a 5th grader.

71 Amanda August 17, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Very lovely.

72 Benedicte Monsen April 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I LOVE these outfits!! I wish that you could come over to my house and dress me too!!

73 Cabbage May 3, 2010 at 6:51 am

Thank you for teaching a young girl to dress with her own style and spunk, and chose clothes that give her the freedom to LIVE!

74 Audra June 4, 2010 at 8:19 am

Your kiddo dresses better than me! Jealous! I love this.

75 Kari June 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Hey, I am way behind, so going back to catch up on all design mom has to offer. I love this post so much. Gives me hope to encourage originality in my girls. And THANK YOU for pointing me to Francie Pants!!! My oldest has just entered “big girl” sizes (6+) and I am scrambling trying to find good stuff for her, all my old go-to shops are no good for her size. So I’ve made her a bunch of skirts for now but showing the undies is a concern. One problem solved, so many I am doomed to encounter.

76 Kari June 28, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Oh, and plus Maude is my very favorite name in the world. Hubby had issues so we compromised and used it for a middle but I applaud your fabulous choice.

77 lol July 24, 2010 at 10:26 am

this kids look to young … o and a love the 1 outfit

78 jessicamaylords August 17, 2010 at 9:11 am

Your kid dresses so much cooler than I do, and she’s 10, and I’m 25.

Maude is seriously making me want to go through my closet and think up new outfits. Cheers!

79 hirra April 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I think that this website is soo helpful for me because I’m going to 5th grade next year!!! ahh was soo scared abt what 2 wear

80 Jamie January 24, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Love this! I know this is an old post but it’s fun to look at all her amazing outfits. My daughter starts 5th grade this year. SIGH – We do school uniforms in public school here so no fun creativity except for on dress down days.

Your daughter is too cute!