Design Your Life

June 18, 2009

I don’t know where sisters Julia and Ellen Lupton live, but I wish they were my neighbors and that we had a standing lunch date on Fridays.

I think you should go buy their book, Design Your Life, right away. It is a fascinating work. Filled with all sorts of information you didn’t realize you wanted to know. Like how to make odd stuffed animals and a basic tutorial on fonts and why you should probably be irritated by suitcases with wheels.

It does not need to be read from front to back — you can flip to pretty much any page and find something engaging — which makes it the perfect book to have near your sofa or nightstand or wherever you might want something interesting to distract you for a few minutes.

The writing is smart and the illustrations (all done by Ellen) will make you smile. $16 at Amazon — I promise you will not have buyer’s remorse. I bought 3 copies as gifts last week.

1 Kelly King Anderson June 18, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Thx for sharing this beautiful book, can't wait to get a copy, would be a lovely gift too. I don't know if you ever had a chance to look through The Style Statement book, but that book is so awesome for understanding one's authentic design personality/style.

Hope you're enjoying Summer, Gabrielle! if you're heading to Utah be sure to let us know we'd love to get a group together for a fun evening!

2 Rebecca June 18, 2009 at 2:27 pm

always looking for great gift ideas!

3 myimaginaryblog June 18, 2009 at 2:37 pm

It looks like a fun and lovely book.

(But I just can't resist saying that, as someone who's taken three young kids and traveled around Western Europe with them, it's hard for me to imagine anything that would make me feel anything other than grateful for suitcases with wheels.)

4 amy smart June 18, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I am loving this book! :)

5 Erin @ Sprouted In the Kitchen June 18, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Cool! I love a book that's part reference, entertainment, eye candy, and education. Thanks for the recommendation.

6 Lisa Long June 18, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Thanks for sharing! I have Ellen Lupton's book called "Design it Yourself" and I love it! She is so entertaining, funny and creative!

7 Anonymous June 18, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I'm not sure about her sister, but I believe Ellen Lupton lives in Baltimore. Actually her home has been featured in a DesignSponge sneak peek, and it's definitely worth a look. She has a lovely space:

8 Amy June 18, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Yep, loving it already; great find!

9 Anonymous June 18, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Ellen lives in orange county somewhere. She teaches at UCI. Today I heard them both speak about this new book. They were terrific. Here is a link for other UCI design related events. enjoy…

10 Lupton June 19, 2009 at 8:34 am

We're glad people are enjoying the book!! on the geography question: Julia lives in Irvine and Ellen is in Baltimore. We commute by email.

11 Gandhali June 19, 2009 at 6:59 pm

wow it looks like an amazing read .. ooo they left a comment as well!

12 awesomeasaone June 22, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I think I might just need to check this out….looks fascinating!